Pekingese, a runner-up from 2011, wins Westminster
Malachy the Pekingese, a breed once favored by Chinese royalty, is top dog at the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show.
February 15th, 2012

Pekingese, a runner-up from 2011, wins Westminster

The second time was the charm for Malachy the Pekingese at Westminster.

Malachy, a Best in Show finalist at last year’s Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, won the top prize Tuesday night at this year’s installment at New York’s Madison Square Garden.

The squat and hairy 4-year-old from Pennsylvania became the fourth Pekingese and only the 10th dog from the toy group to win Best in Show in the 105-year history of the award.

“I’m still in shock,” Malachy’s handler and co-owner, David Fitzpatrick, told USA Network seconds after the prize was given. “It’s such a thrill, and I’m just so proud to have a dog that’s of this quality that could win a show like this and have an opportunity to exhibit him here. It’s the thrill of a lifetime.”

Malachy won the toy group for the second straight year a day earlier, and vied for Best in Show with the winners of six other groups. The last toy to win Best in Show was a papillon, in 1999.

Judges are instructed to evaluate dogs on how well they fit the written standards the ideal appearance, movement, temperament and other traits of their breed. Judge Cindy Vogels of Colorado made her decision after inspecting the seven group winners in front of a crowd that cheered its favorites.

Besides Malachy, the other group winners and Best in Show finalists were:

– Hound: A dachshund named Playing With Fire.
– Nonsporting: A Dalmatian named Ruffian.
– Herding: A German shepherd named Captain Crunch.
– Sporting: An Irish setter named Caught Red Handed.
– Terrier: A Kerry blue terrier named Chelsey.
– Working: A Doberman pinscher named Veni Vidi Vici.

Terriers have won 45 of the 105 Westminster Best in Show titles. About 2,000 dogs, representing 185 breeds, were competing in this year's show.

Last year, a hound Hickory the Scottish deerhound became the first of her breed ever to capture Westminster’s Best in Show, and only the fifth dog from the hound category to win.

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Dogs • New York
  1. bookgirl

Ok, is Malachy going to retire soon? I am not familiar with his breed, but he must be one perfect dog to win best in group 2 years in a row and then best of show. I am sure that somewhere under all that hair there is a darling dog. I hope that he gets a break from all that hair sometimes. I am the owner of 4 toy dogs,3 yorkies and a Havanese, and I say it's time for one of their breeds to finally be recognized. :-)

February 15, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Steven

I agree. Some of these dogs, after they win, need to retire. I remember seeing Malachy in last year's show.

And that should applay in all sports. Once you win, you retire. As an individual. Teams can go on to win multiple times as they change from year to year.

February 15, 2012 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Laura

Congratulations to the Pekingese "BEST IN SHOW"!!! That's an amazing breed with a loving disposition....I've always loved and admired that breed. I've had three of this little guys throughout the years...

February 15, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Laney1025

You can have them all as far as I am concerned. All of the large dogs and the little Dachsie got cheated as far as I am concerned.

February 15, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mr Spock

They got it all wrong! That creature is actually a Tribble!! I sure hope it doesn't get into the storage bins of Quadrotriticale!

February 15, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • DeeNYC

Lmao!!!!

February 15, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vanessa

Very, very well said, Mr Spock!

February 15, 2012 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • earthab

Tribbles are cute. I didn't find any thing cute about Malcahy. Was cheering for Ian the Dalamation or the doberman.
      Think I am going to go back to watching "Best in Show".

February 15, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mr Man

You know what, for some reason this dog isn't that cute. I love all dogs and think the bulldogs and pugs are VERY cute, but this one just looks weird. Looks like Yoda, only Yoda is cuter. The Doberman should have won.

February 15, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mr Man

Actually I take that back. The dog looks ADORABLE, if it weren't for the Donald Trump hairdoo. Shave it off you ridiculous owners!

February 15, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Papayua2

Word...The Doby should've won. I dont see anything in the breed description of the Pekingnese that says it's should waddle like a fat Walmart shopper when it walks.

February 15, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Annie Wilkes

I know that, Mr. Man! They also called them serials. I'm not stupid ya know!

February 15, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Tracy

The German Shephard was totally awesome and handled so well by the incomparable Jimmy Moses-he always gets robbed! Every year he brings stellar German Shephards to the ring-but I knew-and I hate to say-when I saw it was a woman judge I knew a small dog was going to win.

February 15, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bubbish

I, too, was cheering for Capt! SUch a handsome dog, and his walk!!!! Partial to GSD's since I own one, but I thought "Fifinator" :) the Dobie was stunning! If Capt had to lose to anyone, it should have been her. She was beautiful.

February 15, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • wittyname

Spot on! I knew as soon as I saw that she wasn't willing to examine the German Shepherd's teeth herself. I thought the Doberman was a superb specimen - in fact, ALL of the larger dogs were outstanding. But put a women more concerned about getting her Juvaderm and Botox touched up before the show in charge, and you get an abomination like the Pekinese as your best in show. Such a shame!

February 15, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Laney1025

I feel your pain. I thought the Shepherd, the Dobie, or the awesome Irish Setter were far better than that little pekingese. That breed has been so horribly mutilated by humans I actually feel sorry for it. Not enough to name it top dog though. Let's have some real dogs as winners. Gene mutilation is not my idea of a getting something to be proud of. The winner is probably my least favorite breed and just watching it walk was a painful experience.

February 15, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Reilleyfam

Yep – robbed again. Dallas was a great Shep a few years back and should have won.

February 15, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  6. BOMBO ©

It is rather surprising that the Hypnotoad didn't win again this year.

February 15, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. I'm a dog

I'm a dog and I find this offensive. They make the dogs march around like animals and cheer and clap and give them a shiny trophy. I would never demean myself to do that. These people are vermin.

February 15, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. banasy©

I love baby talking to my pug.

"Azzzaahhh buuboooo. Azzzou?? Aza good wittle girl!!! Want biscuit, azzzzaahh wanna nomNOM NOM NOm. goood giiirl." Sort of like that!

February 15, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • banasy ©

Not me.
      Troll.

February 15, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Faker

Lol, sorry man thought it'd be funny. No it wasn't you. Lighten up!

February 15, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • coopermtx

You are brave to admit it . We all do it, but don't want people to know. I laughed out loud. Thank you for the spot of humor.

February 15, 2012 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  9. k9zgirl

Congrats little guy!! However, I am all about the Doberman:)

February 15, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. SNOKI

FiFi the Doberman got robbed! ! I'm just saying...

February 15, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Julie

I think he suffers from dry, unmanageable hair. He should use a good moisturizing conditioner and go easy on the hair irons.

February 15, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. chuck

the king charles cav was the cutest

February 15, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Mark

I hope this win won't encourage people to suddenly go out and buy this breed, looking on it as the new must have chichuahua. That poor dog breed has been so overbred that we're taking the overflow up here in Washington from shelters in California.

February 15, 2012 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. monah

I'm all about the Chow Chow's! (But not Martha Stewart) I've had a red one and now I have a black one I adopted from a Chow rescue group as a puppy. Who cares about papers? She's beautiful!

February 15, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Reilleyfam

All hail the Jack Russell Terrier!!!

February 15, 2012 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply