Overheard on CNN.com: Readers' interracial marriages
About 15% of new marriages in the United States in 2010 were between spouses of different races or ethnicities.
February 16th, 2012

Overheard on CNN.com: Readers' interracial marriages

Both the number of interracial marriages and the acceptance of such couples is growing, according to a new study. But the relationships themselves still stir a bit of conversation, and we saw some fiery debates among our commenters. We also heard some stories from couples in interracial marriages.

Study: Interracial marriage, acceptance growing

This reader talked about her own interracial marriage.

lchristma: "As an Asian-American who married a white man, my race was not a factor to him. I had more concerns than he did. I knew he had never faced racism, and he would be judged. Culturally, it was not an issue, since my adopted parents are white. People should remember that the U.S. adopted many Asian children, which contributes to the increase. I just get annoyed with people wondering if I am a mail-order bride, can speak English, must be submissive, etc. Just more stereotypes that are not always true. Fortunately we live in a very educated, diverse, and liberal college town. We live there so we can give our children a safer and healthier environment. No one should grow up feeler lesser than others, due to others people’s ignorance."

For some couples, race is just about a nonissue.

casselli: "I am married to a 'white' man, and I don't see us as an 'interracial' marriage. I love him to death and adore his beautiful skin. I am Mexican, and he feels the same way about me. Needless to say our kids are gorgeous and lucky."

This commenter raved about her partner.

rgp1983: "I am a white woman with a black boyfriend. He is the best person I have ever known. He is wildly intelligent, incredibly kind and generous, strong, passionate, supportive and treats me like gold. He listens when I talk, makes me laugh and is a true companion. I never have to face anything alone, yet he gives me space to develop as an individual. He may not be perfect, but he's certainly close to being perfect for me. All you racists and bigots can fume and steam all you want, call us unnatural and dirty, hurl names and insults ... it only makes us stronger. When I go home tonight, we'll laugh and joke, sip wine as we tell each other about our days, playfully kid one another before we cook dinner. It's sad that that inspires such vitriol and hatred."

Another said they love all the diversity in their family.

LostinSLC: "Wow I am floored at some of the narrow-minded thinking here. I am Italian decent, and we have Indian, Mexican and Chinese in-laws within my family. We are very diverse, and the kids are a mix of all our races. I would never trade my family for anyone else and this whole 'we need to keep the race pure' has no place in this day and age ... grow up."

Is there such a thing as race in the first place? Some argued the point is moot.

Apatheist: "There is no such thing as interracial marriage. There is no such thing as different human races. We all evolved from a common hominid ancestor in Africa a few hundred thousand years ago. In fact, we are so alike that the darkest African and the whitest Norwegian are usually more alike genetically than two rabbits living in the same forest. A good understanding of human evolution should eradicate most racism from this world."

This commenter said defining a race is not always straightforward.

abcdef54321: "Unless you have had your DNA tested, you cannot be sure what race you really are. I'm reading a biography of Thomas Jefferson. The author noted that the children of slaves who were white enough to pass for white in the white community were allowed to leave the plantation and join a distant community where they were not known. There they lived as white, married white, and had white children. If you are a Southerner, like me, odds are good that one of your ancestors was a black slave, no matter what color you are."

Some wondered about the point of all the research, and others defended it.

Rick1948: "The stupid thing is that they are even keeping statistics on this any more. It flat doesn't matter. With the economy in the tank, millions of people living on the streets and unemployment what it is, anything two people can do to make themselves happy, as long as it doesn't affect anyone else, is just fine."

hesaidwhat2: "Well, it apparently it still matters to 100 million people in this country. That is why they bother."

Can you relate? Share your opinion in the comments area below and in the latest stories on CNN.com. Or sound off on video via CNN iReport.

Post by:
Filed under: Overheard on CNN.com • Race
  1. Buddy08

I'm actually mixed white and black and my wife is Asian. I absolutely love the stereotypes we throw around about our offspring and our cultures when all our families are together. Sometimes you just need to laugh about it and remember what makes us all great.

February 21, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Skylar

TO MY FELLOW HUMAN BEINGS; WE ARE NOT A BOX OF CRAYONS.
    OK, WE ARE "HUMAN" AND WE BELONG TO DIFFERENT CULTURE BUT ONE "RACE" THAT IS THE HUMAN RACE.
    I AM SO SICK OF PEOPLE TAKING ABOUT BLACK AND WHITE AND RED AND BROWN AND YELLOW, THIS IS FRECKLE KNACKLE Crap!
    We are all Children of GOD.
    If every person in this world could me someone that they were attracted to, and make lots of babies from every culture over the following years no would pay attention to this so called interracial stuff. What is exactly interracial, the mixing of different races? WTH...We are the Human Race, People get over it. By the way, you want to know what I am a Human Being, with a great big heart.

Peace!

February 21, 2012 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jules

I have been married for 15yrs to my husband who happens to be black/native american. I am just a country girl from Tennessee but I have never been happier. We have 3 gorgeous children who are well behaved, well dressed, well fed and cared for. I honestly think that there are alot of misconceptions about certain races that have been passed down from generation to generation. Even though they are negative and people know it, they continue to spread the ingnorance onto their children in which they will share with their children and so on. Its just a continuous cycle of ignorance and stupidity.Luckily, there are those of us who have broken the mold and opened our minds and heart to WHOMEVER makes us feel alive and happy. If I would have followed in my maternal families beliefs and footsteps, I would have never married outside the white race. I also have a family member who is an active member of the KKK who refuses to be around me and/or my children. They will leave before we arrive or will immediately leave when we do arrive in order to not be in the same space as us. My MAN makes me happy and provides very well for OUR family and thats all that matters to me. Everyone else can just SUCK IT.....I am living MY life the way I choose. If you don't like, then don't look!

February 22, 2012 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  4. Benjamin McDonald

Many people think its wrong to do interracial marriages. Majority of them are Christians God created everyone equal as long as we stay in his will. He don't have a problem with it because everybody will be equal judge of all colors.

February 23, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  5. The Woof

My beautiful wife and I have been married now for 27 years. I'm Black and she is German. I never saw her color only the person with the traits that I wanted in a wife. On occasion I've been asked why I don't marry into my own race but my answer is that in my first marriage I did and it didn't work. I think that I see love as it is described in 1Corinthians 13th Chapter. To truly know love and have it in your heart it means that you see no color, you see no religion, you don't see tall or short, thin or thick, but you see the inner person and that's who you fall in love with. My wife and I long ago got used to the stares, some whispers behind our back from all sides. But we knew that as long as we had each other, we didn't give a care. God brought us together and only He can separate us.

February 27, 2012 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  6. ddaniels

I AM WHITE BLACK & INDIAN, MY FIANCE, WHITE. HIS CHURCH, 10 DAYS BEFORE THE WEDDING, HE DECIDED, (IN GOD'S HOUSE) THAT HE WOULD NOT MARRY US BECAUSE HE THOUGHT I WAS MEXICAN WHEN HE SAID YES, COME TO FIND OUT FROM THE GOSSIP THAT I AM NOT, AS A REVERAND,MINISTER OF GOD, CANNOT ALLOW THE WEDDING IN (HIS)CHURCH, 500 INVITATIONS ALREADY SENT AND ARRANGEMENTS LATER. WE DID GO ON WITH THE WEDDING AT A BAPTIST CHURCH,THAT WAS TRYING TO DO WHAT A SUPPOSED MAN OF GOD HAD UNDONE. I HOPE WHEN HE IS IN HEAVEN HE IS REMINDED OF THIS ERROR IN JUDGEMENT..

February 29, 2012 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  7. DEE DEE

IT IS OUR GOVENMENT THAT HAS CREATED A GREAT DEAL OF THE PREDJUDICE IN THIS COUNTRY AND THEY WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO,BECAUSE THE MAJORITY OF OUR GOVERNMENT IS WHITE.. PEOPLE WHOM THINK THEY ARE SUPERIOR TO OTHERS ARE CREATORS OF PREDJUDICE.. I LAUGH ALL THE TIME BECAUSE OF THE SLAVE ERA THAT THE WHITE MAN INVOKED ON BLACKS, THERE ARE MORE WHITE PEOPLE AND FAMILIES WITH BLACK BLOOD IN THEM THEN THEY WILL EVER KNOW AND THE MORE OUR PRESENT SOCIETY EVOLVES THERE WILL BE MOST EVERYONE WITH SOME BLACK OR INDIAN OR ET AL RACE IN THEM AND WE WILL ONCE AGAIN BECOME ONE RACE.HUMAN BEINGS, I WISH I WOULD STILL BE AROUND TO SEE THAT... THEN I COULD REALLY SIT BACK AND LAUGH AT ALL THE PEOPLE WHOM HAVE SAID THAT I AM A MISTAKE, AND HOW I SHOULD NOT OF BEEN ALLOWED TO BE.. I WAS BORN IN THE 50'S AND "JUST SHOULD NOT OF BEEN AND I SHOULD NEVER HAVE CHILDREN WHEN I GROW UP AND YADA YADA YADA... I COULD TELL YOU ALL SO MANY THINGS THAT I HAVE HEARD THRU OUT MY LIFE AND IT IS JUST UNBELIEVABLE.. PEOPLE ARE SIC AND THANK GOODNES THE MAJORITY ARE GOOD HUMAN BEINGS..OR AT LEAST KEEP THERE OPINIONS TO THEMSELVES....

February 29, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Anthony

I'm so pleased to see this. This is actually the kind of guide that must get , not the misinformation which is in the sites. Value your sharing this biggest doc.
    Anthony http://cultura.iteso.mx/solopc/wikka.php?wakka=AnIntroductionToRapidSecretsOfCarHeadUnit

November 4, 2013 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |