Greece: Robbers raid Olympia museum, steal artifacts
February 17th, 2012

Greece: Robbers raid Olympia museum, steal artifacts

Robbers broke into a museum in Olympia, the birthplace of the Olympics, tying and gagging the museum guard and stealing artifacts, police in Greece said Friday.

Police spokesman Athanassios Kokkalakis said two men had struck at the Archaeological Museum of Olympia just after 7:30 a.m. local time (00:30 ET).

The robbers "approached the museum's guard, tied her hands and bound her mouth and then went into the museum, where they took 65 to 68 small clay and brass small statues and a gold ring and put them in a bag and left."

Filed under: Justice • World
  1. banasy ©

...to end up in some billionaire's private collection, never to be seen or heard of again.
    This stinks!

February 17, 2012 at 6:31 am | Report abuse |
  2. **cosmicVox *

... pretty crummy!!

February 17, 2012 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |
  3. PEDO-BEAR

Some sick people out there...I mean, who in their right mind would want to steal some ancient mummy's crusty underwear?! Tide definitely won't help with those stains.

February 17, 2012 at 7:37 am | Report abuse |
  4. hamsta

Thats what happens when the nanny state runs wild with the welfare system until the system is broke.those people are so used to getting something for nothing that they steal when there is no more hand to give.not much difference between stealing from the museum and stealing from the working mans pocket.this is exactly why socialism will never work.thats why we need to take food stamps away from the occupy protestors and sl?ts that cant stop spitting out kids.force these people to get jobs.jobs are everywhere.anyone that tells you otherwise is just making excuses.i should know,im a high school dropout and in 25 years my time without a job is less than a single standard paid vacation

February 17, 2012 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
    • PEDO-BEAR

You should have stayed in school, kid. You definitely type like a dropout. Now, go make me a burger!

February 17, 2012 at 7:45 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

What does museum robbing have to do with what you've posted?
      Nothing, except to turn it into all about yourself. Again.

February 17, 2012 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ¬©

@hamsta, you're wound up today, I see. But not as wound up as that legal system reform guy yesterday on the gotta watch cars thread. In any case, these thieves have shown more initiative than the average welfare recipient.

February 17, 2012 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

@BOMBO:
      That was hilarious.
      And random.

February 17, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ¬©

@hamsta, as usual you want the spotlight on you. I hope you take @Patrick up on his offer and please make sure you discuss your beliefs on "nanny state, Socialism, and the Occupy Movment" with him.He would be thrilled to educate you on this!!!

February 17, 2012 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Joey Isotta-Fraschini¬©‚ĄĘ

Perhaps hamsta would be in a better situation had he gone further in his education, but he has written here about his skills, my impression is that he never flips burgers, and he contributes more to society than many with master's degrees and doctorates. I admire his work ethic.
    If his work ethic were commonly shared in the USA, my country would have no economic problems.

February 17, 2012 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

If one believes them, which I do not.
      I admire honesty.

February 17, 2012 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Portland tony

If you call bitching about things he has no control over, somehow relating an armed theft of Greek antiquities in Greece to food stamps for OWS hanger-ons to all the excess jobs here in the US waiting for HS drop outs to fill "contributing" to any sane train of thought ......it's beyond me!

February 17, 2012 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Portland tony

What does flipping burgers, a good work ethic, and high school drop outs have to do with the armed robbery of Greek antiquities?

February 17, 2012 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  6. BOMBO ©

Trying to tie it all together – there are no plates to smash in burger joints, and people on welfare can't afford ouzo. If they want to be able to afford ouzo, and moussaka in a decent restaurant, they should go out and get a job and stop stealing from honest Greek taxpayers.

February 17, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

Are we playing 6 degrees of separation with a different person now?

February 17, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Greek American

More robbing of themselves in Greece. Sadly, this is not the first and won't be the last time this is going to happen. *sigh*
    I'm not even sure what I will find when I travel to my home there this summer.

February 17, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ¬©

I've been there. Loved it. Too bad so many people were on strike, though. No streetlights at night half the time, army vehicles being used as Athens buses. But the lamb was awesome. And so many brands of ouzo....

February 17, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Greek American

@BOMBO
    Yes it is a beautiful country but the citizens do need to share some responsibility on these issues even though the gvt is corrupt. They still need to know their actions project opinions around the world.
    And yes of course I agree with you on the food and the ouzo, but I try to limit the ouzo intake while I am there hahahaha. It can make for some long recovery and wasted days. Hahahahaha

February 17, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

That ouzo put hair on my chest when I tried it.
      Thankfully, it was a temporary condition.

Looting treasures of the past is nothing new...but it is still reprehensible.

February 17, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ¬©

Speaking of looting treasures, I don't think Greece got all their stuff back from London's Royal museum yet.

February 17, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

@BOMBO:
      London doesn't let go of their plundered treasures very easily...just ask Egypt.

February 17, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Joey Isotta-Fraschini¬©‚ĄĘ

I worked in Greece a good bit. I hate ouzo, but drank a lot of Demestica wine. I spent one whole summer in Greece and cried when the plane took off to go home.
    I enjoyed seeing the "borrowed" statues in London. They're fine there. Aren't those the Elgin marbles?
    The English gave back the Stone of Scone. Maybe they'll send the statues back to Greece, so Greeks can steal them from their own museum.

February 17, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ¬©

Correct. I suppose Elgin and the Brits felt justified to remove the artifacts, because the Acropolis was in such a state of disrepair at the time.

February 17, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • dangler69

@ BOMBO
      it was he Ottoman Greeks who sold those marbles to Elgin. Sometimes the worst enemy is the one from within

February 17, 2012 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • stamatis

everybody exept us is a saint. noone else borrowed too much money, and noone else has scandals in their country.
      it is we the common people who suffer the most, and now everyone wants a piece of our flesh. i really wish you all a safe life. remind me please, how many wars have the us made the last 10 years?

February 18, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |