TV anchor gives interview after on-air dog bite
Denver news anchor Kyle Dyer received a severe dog bite on air.
February 24th, 2012

TV anchor gives interview after on-air dog bite

A Denver news anchor is speaking out for the first time after being severely injured when a dog bit her on the face during a TV interview.  Earlier this month, Kyle Dyer was interviewing the owner of an 85-pound Argentine Mastiff who was rescued from icy waters. While petting the dog’s face, Dyer leaned in to kiss his nose when the dog lurched forward and bit her face.

Dyer was taken to Denver Health Medical Center where, after four hours of surgery, she received 70 stitches to her lips and nose. She later posted on Facebook that her mouth was stitched shut in order for the skin graft to take.

She is out of the hospital and recently sat down for an interview to discuss the accident and resulting surgery. Dyer is happy that the dog is back with his owners and is pleased to be recovering and moving forward with life. Listen to her describe the bite and the moment she realized she had no upper lip.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/living/2012/02/24/bts-anchor-dog-bite-recovery.kusa"%5D
Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Colorado • Dogs • Media
soundoff (1,025 Responses)
  1. Mike

People seem to forget how stressed this dog must have been that day. It had just been rescued earlier that day after falling through the ice. It was a bad decision on her part, but in my opinion, an even worse decision putting this dog in a high stress situation on live TV with foreign people and things around.

February 24, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • S.

I agree 100%. It is irresponsible to not recognize the stress the dog was under, put it in a stressful news set environment with weird people, and then let some stranger move into its face area. This is not a good idea! I feel bad for the lady, but the dog shouldn't have been put in that situation. People need to be more educated about dog behavior and how to be safe around ANY dog. You do not put your face in a strange dogs face, period.

February 24, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • steve

Dyer is a Idiot!!! plain and simple. Most common dog bites are little girls hugging dogs and pulling and putting their faces close to a dogs. Kids learn and have to be taught about the 'other end of the leash'. Adults especially in that position-–if she did not know that was appropriate behavior in the K-9 world, should have been or asked to be tutored on her behavior.
      there is one thing you cannot fix though,,,,,,,and that is 'STUPID'.

February 24, 2012 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Sorry for the Kids

Why is it that whenever you hear one of the frequent stories about a toddler getting his face ripped off or a pregnant woman getting attacked and killed in her own home, or any of the dozens of stories of maiming that I've heard in the news over the past few years that invariably the dog that attacked them is a pit bull (or related to like this one). Sorry, people. Mastif or pit bull or mix of both, same deal.

February 24, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • iheartyou

Saying a Mastiff is the same as a Pit Bull is just ridiculous. These are 2 completely different breeds of dog. That's like saying a Doberman is just like a Rottweiler. It's NOT the "same deal". Good grief, even when it's not a Pit Bull they still get blamed.

February 24, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Disgruntled_girl

I hear ponies and unicorns are the same, too.

February 24, 2012 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Julie

SFTK: Perhaps you should educate yourself a little before making blanket statements about an entire breed of dog. To begin with, pit bull breeds are NOT the same as mastiffs. More often than not, the accidents you hear about in the news are a direct result of dogs being in the homes of irresponsible dog owners, or people trusting their small child alone with the dog (something I wouldn't do whether it was a Chihuahua or a Mastiff). I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume you glossed over the part of this story where the very recently rescued dog was in front of lights and cameras and in a room full of strangers, and one of the strangers leaned in towards its face. It was a horrible accident, and I'm not saying it was squarely the anchor's 'fault,' but to say this is a horrible dog and the breed should be banned is the absolute wrong conclusion to jump to here.

February 24, 2012 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sudu

You only hear about them because the media sensationalizes attacks or injuries when a pit bull in involved. Actual animal bite statistics show that other breeds have higher rates of bites and injury than those caused by a pit bull.
      I'm sorry she was bitten but it was extremely dangerous for her to put her face up to a strange dog. Perhaps a segment on reading body language in dogs with a trained animal behaviorist would be an appropriate follow up.

February 24, 2012 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sorry but you're wrong.

This incident had nothing to do with the breed, I've seen this exact same thing happen to a news anchor with a police trained German Shepherd. This lady made two mistakes, first she is touching a dog she doesn't know in a highly stressful environment for the dog after it has just been through a traumatic event, big no no. Second she leans her face into it while grabbing its head/neck. Having your hands on a dogs head/neck while starring it in the eyes and moving your head closer is considered an aggressive challenge of dominance by most dogs.

This lady knew absolutely zero about dog behavior and paid the price for her ignorance.

February 24, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • MT

Baloney. This has nothing to do with the breed (and it isn't "related" to a pit bull any more than a dachsund is). Dogs bite when they get stressed. Period. The only people blaming the breed are people who have an agenda.

February 24, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  3. bretti234

they should be mad at the dog

February 24, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  4. rex987

bretti your right man the dog did not no better

February 24, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Linny

Banning breeds does not solve the problem because it only puts a band-aid on the larger problem of irresponsible / thug owners. Science has proven that dogs have the greatest variety within one species due to their DNA sequence and human involvement (breeding). If you ban a powerful breed, the thugs that use dogs for their bidding will only create another new and improved breed. It is very easy to do. I am also sick of seeing news anchors getting attacked by animals. This recent attack was by a Dogo Argentino, but there are horrific ones where CATS completely maim news anchors. Let's just say that you can be sure one male news anchor can't have children after a cat attacked him and that's not a joke. News anchors are not experienced with animals and putting any animal in a situation with strangers, lights, cameras, and a person who approaches them inappropriately is a recipe for disaster. The animals are FEARFUL and fearful animal are more dangerous than "aggressive" animals. There are actually very few truly aggressive domestic animals. If you give a damn about this issue, lobby your local and state governments to HOLD OWNERS ACCOUNTABLE for their pets, financially and legally.

February 24, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • iheartyou

Amen, hallelujah, and right on!!!

February 24, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  6. smartaz

You're an idiot if you go face to face with a dog that is not yours. These are animals. Not babies.

February 24, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Michael_chatt

It was an accident. She was trying to show effection to the dog. People do it all the time, it's not stupid. But it makes sense that it was a dangerous thing to do. The dog had gone through a terrifying ordeal. Then it was on TV in a place that probably scared it with machines and sounds all around it. Then a lady leans in toward it. From the Dogs point of view it quite likely thought she was going for it's neck.

I'm very glad they did not put the dog down. I hope the surgeries have been successful and no one is permenantly damaged. It sounds like she understands what happened and isn't feeling hate toward anyone.

February 24, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Qasim Shah

stupid dogs and stupid people who "adore" dogs.....dogs should be treated like dogs.....they are filthy and ugly....just like pigs....keep them for security and disabilty assistance purposes only...but dont kiss them and lick them....thats freakin nasty...
    also dogs are from the devil specially black ones....get a life...and save human beings from dying rather than spending thousands of dollars on stupid pets...!

February 24, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lila

How many thousands have you donated to save humans?

February 24, 2012 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • sara

Uhhh, black dogs are from the devil. So this white dog must be an angel.

February 24, 2012 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Braemar

Uh, it's not her fault amd it's not the dogs fault. It's the fault of the owner, that rescuer and/or whoever runs the show allowing this dog to be put on the air. Even if the owner had said, just pet it but don't get in it's face and you're OK I still wouldn't have the dog on the show.

February 24, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  10. me

mike – so you think the dog knew he was on live TV huh?

February 24, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  11. owner is a fool

people need to hold this owner responsible...the owner should have thought of his dog over wanting to be on TV. This also would have never happened if the owner had followed the leash law...don't blame the reporter.

February 24, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Another Pit owner

I have owned a 75lb pit-mix for 5 years. Gentle and just wants to be played with 99.99% of the time. That said, about a year ago I saw her snap when some irresponsible pet owner had two large dogs unleashed in my neighborhood and they ran up to us. Complete change in body language/posture. She had both of those dogs on the ground crying in a seconds. In my mind she did what she was suppose to do. In fact it was what I would want her to do if it had been my wife walking her and not me but I had never seen switch flip before. She's never bitten anyone but I buy her the strongest toys and she can destroys them quickly. I don't think pits are anymore aggressive than other breeds but they are cheap, incredibly strong and naturally have an extremely high pain tolerance. That's why they are ideal for dogfighting. There are other breeds that are just as likely/capable if not more likely/capable to cause a lot of harm but they don't get the same reputation. I've only seen one type of reaction when she encounters people even when they are strangers. She wants to be in their space so badly that this type of scenario wouldn't even happen. If she didn't react this way instantly than it would be obvious that she is uncomfortable. That said their are still situations I would never put her in. This would be one of them. "Hey lets put a strong dog in a strange room filled strange people and strange objects and maybe have one of those strangers get right up in its space." I don't think you can put all of the blame on one person or the animal. This was a result of a chain of bad decisions.

February 24, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Conn

Lots of never-made-a-mistake perfect know-it-alls posting here.
    For a second I thought I was on FoxNews website.

February 24, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Linny

Dogo Argentino creation: While the Dogo Argentino was bred primarily from the extinct Cordoba Fighting Dog, it was bred to be a cooperative hunter; Aggressive traits inherent in the Cordoban Dog were specifically bred out; to enable a stable cooperative nature in a pack. He crossed it (Cordoba) with the Great Dane, Boxer, Spanish Mastiff, Old English Bulldog, Bull Terrier, Great Pyrenees, Pointer, Irish Wolfhound and Dogue de Bordeaux. Nores Martinez continued to develop the breed via selective breeding to introduce the desired traits. Dr. Raul Zeballos introduced the Dogo Argentino to the United States in 1970.

February 24, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  15. jjthejetplane

I am an attorney here in Texas. It wasn't smart on her part. It is an animal, not a human. With that said, the dog needs to be put down. The first bite is free folks. The second isn't. If it happens to bite another person, guess what, the owners will lose everything in court because they knew the dog had a predisposition to bite no matter what the reason. Don't shoot the messenger, that's just the way it is.

February 24, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Putthedogdown

Well put counselor !!

February 24, 2012 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lila

Ridiculous. The dog and the owner are not always in the wrong. The anchor even said she was happy the dog was back with its owner. Everyone shouldn't live their lives in fear because of ambulance chasers.

February 24, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Geo

Anyone here believe dogs have done more harm than lawyers?
      Here is your case counselor defend me: someone came up and put their hands on me, I said "get your hands off me I don't know you", they grab me with both and started to wrestle me towards them, saying something I didn't understand, again "GET YOUR F'ING HANDS OFF ME", then they lunged forward and I defended myself. Have I done anything wrong? btw I am the dog

February 24, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |