TV anchor gives interview after on-air dog bite
Denver news anchor Kyle Dyer received a severe dog bite on air.
February 24th, 2012

TV anchor gives interview after on-air dog bite

A Denver news anchor is speaking out for the first time after being severely injured when a dog bit her on the face during a TV interview.  Earlier this month, Kyle Dyer was interviewing the owner of an 85-pound Argentine Mastiff who was rescued from icy waters. While petting the dog’s face, Dyer leaned in to kiss his nose when the dog lurched forward and bit her face.

Dyer was taken to Denver Health Medical Center where, after four hours of surgery, she received 70 stitches to her lips and nose. She later posted on Facebook that her mouth was stitched shut in order for the skin graft to take.

She is out of the hospital and recently sat down for an interview to discuss the accident and resulting surgery. Dyer is happy that the dog is back with his owners and is pleased to be recovering and moving forward with life. Listen to her describe the bite and the moment she realized she had no upper lip.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/living/2012/02/24/bts-anchor-dog-bite-recovery.kusa"%5D
Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Colorado • Dogs • Media
soundoff (1,025 Responses)
  1. Vince

She's much nicer than me. If I was bitten I would have insisted the dog be put down. I don't care where her face went or how close it got...this is a domesticated animal and should act as such....if it can't do that then it can't be part of human society.

February 24, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • graphicsgirl777

Quick! Someone explain to the dog what domesticated means, and what the rules are.

February 24, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Armadillo

You have got to be dumber than a rock.

February 24, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • HeidiLiz

Are you serious? Dogs have their own culture and their own rules, and for animals to live cooperatively with humans there are rules on both sides that have to be observed. Dog behavior isn't a huge secret, and he gave her numerous warning signs.

February 24, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • bitphr3ak

Vince – This was not the dogs fault...and domesticated or not, it is an animal.

The person holding the dogs leash should have never allowed someone to stick their face in the dogs face; and no one, should ever put their face in the face of an unfamiliar dog.

My dog will bite a strange who acts this way, I can pretty much guarantee that he'll do that because I know his personality. He is a rescue dog, and was abused when he was a puppy. He isn't aggressive, more like insecure.

As a responsible dog owner he is muzzled when he is around new people.

Of course once he trusts someone there are NO issues. In fact, he is very protective and concerned about people he knows.

February 24, 2012 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • j

agree 100% no room in civilized society for aggressive dog breeds.

February 24, 2012 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • HeyZeus

Vince, that dog is giving HER several warnings to NOT come near him: I am afraid of you and I will defend myself!!!!! it was solely the reporter's fault this occurred. The dog was acting quite normal, until SHE decided it was time to get on the floor and give a KISS to an unknown animal. The dog did exactly what he should have done, attacked what he perceived as an imminent threat. The fact that the dog is NOT being attentive to her is a sign to stay away. One can see in the tape where the dog looks back at her and his positioning said it all.

February 24, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • bitphr3ak

j – This dog wasn't aggressive...he was being protective.

If he was an 'aggressive' dog he would have been growling at everyone, unruly and viscous.

The dog reacted much like I would if someone I didn't know got into my face. I might not bite them in the lip, but I might push them away.

Clearly you, the women who got bit and the person holding the dog's leash do not understand dog behavior.

I suggest you never own a dog!

February 24, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • JudgeWatt

Hey Vince, why don't you go cuddle a 600 pound sow.
      They're domesticated, see where that gets you.
      You fool.

February 24, 2012 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Glenn

Agree with Vince. It doesn't matter if it was a dog's fault or not, whether it could reason things out or not, whether it is good or evil. If it is big AND aggressive it serves no purpose.

February 24, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • JudgeWatt

Hey Glenn, like football players ?
      Soldiers ?
      Truck Drivers ?
      Your Mom ?

February 24, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lila

Dogs are living things and they are not predictable. It's insane to think they are. Any dog, any breed has the capacity to bite. What your suggesting is that dogs should be smarter and more responsible than humans.

February 24, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • graphicsgirl777

@ Judge....well played sir. As for Glenn...Hmm I had no idea big and aggressive things served no purpose! Thank you. I will write that down.

February 24, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Common Sense

This anchor woman is very stupid, and I am being polite.

I have worked at animal rescue shelters all my life, and it is just plain common sense you never put your face up to a dog you don't know that well. Gees, even a five year old would know better! Even a cat can scratch you, or a horse can nip you, if they don't know 'your smell' or are feeling nervous in any way or are protecting their owner.

February 24, 2012 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeremy

She IS very stupid. The dog was in an extremely stressful situation it couldn't comprehend. Hot studio lights, lots of strange devices and people around, it's almost the equivalent of waking up on alien spaceship or something I'd imagine. Then this woman pulls a move that to a dog would be interpreted like a bite and...well he reacted as can be expected.

February 24, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • jetcity

Not everyone knows dog behavior – the owner should have said something when he saw the dog's reaction to the anchor getting close.

You are very smug to call her out as being stupid when she didn't know. You said you've worked in a shelter so you know animal behavior. If someone hasn't had that, then they DON'T know. That's like me calling you stupid because you don't know the fundamentals of computer programming even though you've never taken a class. Rude.

February 24, 2012 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  3. 14401

If you look at the dogs head and ears you can tell it's frightened. Most people don't know how to read a dog, any dog, even their own dog. This was a nasty learning situation and I hope the anchor has had some training now in how to approach a strange dog, let alone one who's already in distress.

February 24, 2012 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • jetcity

I hope the owner has had some training in how to support his dog in new situations. Not everyone knows how to read a dog's language, and it's up to the owner to be the bridge between the dog and the rest of the world. Way to blame the victim.

February 24, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  4. lins

Love how people like you like need the attention so bad they come on here and make remarks for shock value. It doesnt shock anyone to hear dumb comments come from a dumb person....but all you are is predictable and typical.

February 24, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  5. The owner should've killed that EVIL DOG!!!

Does the OWNER KNOW you should never put DOG closer to face? NO.....

February 24, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Armadillo

I believe you need to direct your info to the lady reporter. She put her face in the dogs face not the other way around. Learn to read.

February 24, 2012 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • bitphr3ak

EVIL dog?

If you approached me and stuck your face close to mine...like she did to the dog, I might bite you!

Your comment shows that you have no understanding about dog behavior.

I suggest you never own one because you clearly wouldn't know how to cope with one.

Good grief!

February 24, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bitphr3K

First, the dog owner should have never let that woman get near the dogs face

Second, no one should put their face in the face of an unfamiliar dog.

Looking a dog in the eye can be taken as a sign of aggression by the dog.

This was an accident, and if I was going to blame anyone, the last on my list would be the dog.

That being said, I hope she has a full recovery.

February 24, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • LiveFromATX

I agree the owner should have been more proactive. As the owner of a large dog, it's YOUR responsibility to protect your animal and the strangers coming in contact with it. I have a 15 pound dog and I watch him like a hawk when he interacts with strangers, and let them know when I see him becoming uncomfortable. If I had an 80lb bully breed, this would be exacerbated 10fold. The dog did what any dog in that situation would do, and now you have the peanut gallery calling for its euthanasia. The owner is the most responsible, in my opinion.

February 24, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  7. graphicsgirl777

Aww does somebody need a hug?

February 24, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Dan Bednarik

The anchor was really stupid.

February 24, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • The owner should've killed that EVIL DOG!!!

Dont' tell that to OWNER !!! The owner would get angry.

February 24, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Susan Russell

You are a brave, magnanimous and compassionate lady. And I wish you swift healing.

February 24, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  10. j

Another stupid pit with a fancy name, they should all be outlawed thrown in burlap sacks, then into a lake or river.

February 24, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • HeidiLiz

The dog is a Mastiff, not a Pit, and perhaps you should be put in a burlap sack and thrown into said river.

February 24, 2012 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Armadillo

Hey jackwagon it is not a pit, It is an Argentine Mastiff. You should read the article and know your dog breeds before bumping your gums.

February 24, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • JTK

Pits are wonderful dogs if they are treated and trained as such. Unfortunately, pit bulls that are nice just don't make good media stories; they only focus on the idiots that train them to fight and kill. If a pit is trained properly by a responsible owner, they are wonderful companions and very affectionate with people, even strangers.

February 24, 2012 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • HeyZeus

Hey J, You aren't too bright are you? ANY dog will do that if they feel threatened. She put her mouth close to the dog, and the perceived threat from the dog was, I am about to be bitten, I must defend myself.

February 24, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  11. The owner should've killed that EVIL DOG!!!

It's kind of stupid to KEEP UNWANTED POISON in the house.

EVIL dog can be selfish. That dog is going to lick the owner face for forgiveness. NEVER ACCEPT IT. You know why?
    He will do it again. BITE and BARK.

That EVIL DOG will use the OWNER as SLAVERY TOOL.

February 24, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Armadillo

Sounds like someone needs to take an evil dog to your house.

February 24, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • JudgeWatt

You keep WANTED POISONS in your house ?!

Go eat some.

February 24, 2012 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • The owner should've killed that EVIL DOG!!!

Argentine Mastiff bite her. You dummy!

February 24, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • JudgeWatt

Maybe you should bite an English Teacher.

February 24, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jackson

All the idiots on here saying pits and dogs are evil, you are dumb and should be neutered. The anchor made a stupid move and wasn't that pretty to begin with. I'll enjoy my friendly dog, so you can go get a cat that will scratch your eyes out and drag kitty litter all over your house.

February 24, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. graphicsgirl777

Well put CJ. I would punch that stranger square in the face. Personal bubble and all that. Unless it was Channing Tatum. In that case I would make an exception.

February 24, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  14. faboge

stop kissing dogs!

February 24, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  15. bigdog

If some strange woman that I don't know would try to kiss me without my permission and it was unwanted, I would bite her in the face too. This is not the first time. Are we learning yet?

February 24, 2012 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |