TV anchor gives interview after on-air dog bite
Denver news anchor Kyle Dyer received a severe dog bite on air.
February 24th, 2012

TV anchor gives interview after on-air dog bite

A Denver news anchor is speaking out for the first time after being severely injured when a dog bit her on the face during a TV interview.  Earlier this month, Kyle Dyer was interviewing the owner of an 85-pound Argentine Mastiff who was rescued from icy waters. While petting the dog’s face, Dyer leaned in to kiss his nose when the dog lurched forward and bit her face.

Dyer was taken to Denver Health Medical Center where, after four hours of surgery, she received 70 stitches to her lips and nose. She later posted on Facebook that her mouth was stitched shut in order for the skin graft to take.

She is out of the hospital and recently sat down for an interview to discuss the accident and resulting surgery. Dyer is happy that the dog is back with his owners and is pleased to be recovering and moving forward with life. Listen to her describe the bite and the moment she realized she had no upper lip.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/living/2012/02/24/bts-anchor-dog-bite-recovery.kusa"%5D
Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Colorado • Dogs • Media
soundoff (1,025 Responses)
  1. Bri

Tired of people calling this reporter stupid. And tired of those who blame the dog.
    Not everyone knows how to act around and read dogs.
    Even the firemen and TV crew didn't know either they would have said something.
    It was just an unfortunate incident which can make a HUGE impact by educating people.

February 24, 2012 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jade

I would like to know if this dog has ever bit anyone before.

February 24, 2012 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Common Sense

Dear Rezblade,

Get real!

February 24, 2012 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Glenn

Listen.... all you dog defenders. How many of you have been bitten in the face by a dog? If you haven't, as I suspect most of us haven't, then you don't really know what it takes to get a dog to bite you in the face. From what I can tell from watching the original video the woman didn't seem overly threatening to me. The dog overreacted and it is its fault that she got bit. I'm not saying that its evil but it needs to have better domestic instincts. By the way, I have had many dogs and I stick my face in their faces all the time.

February 24, 2012 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mnemone

Glenn, I've worked with literally thousands of dogs for over half my life. It's my job. I've worked with small and large dogs, and yes dogs will bite or snap at your face if you suddenly tower over them. When I restrain dogs for blood draws with a partner, one must approach very gently and firmly restrain the head. Even the most docile, happy-go-lucky bouncy border collie or golden retriever will suddenly bite if you are not careful enough. This mastiff's reaction was a VERY common reaction. It does not matter the breed, it does not matter if it came from a shelter, or is a purebred basenji, dogs bite. They do not ALL bite, but we never assume they will not. Some dogs react most aggressively when their owner is present; some react more aggressively when the owner is not present. I'm shocked dogs put up with as much stuff as they do, honestly. However, I'll warn you for many the feet is the real sensitve area for many.

February 24, 2012 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Macey

I've been bitten on the face by my own dog. It was my fault because she was sleeping and I scared her by kissing her face. Dogs don't always apply the same logic as people because they are dogs. I feel bad for the reporter, don't get me wrong, but the dog isn't a demon here.

February 24, 2012 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • byndpst

Glenn, the point is YOU stick YOUR face in YOUR dog's face all the time. This dog didn't know this lady, so as nice as she seems to us humans, she came across as a threat. He was in an unfamiliar environment, with a lot of strangers around & bright glaring lights. I'm sure he was nervous. I also stick my face in MY dog's face so we can share kisses, but he knows me.

February 24, 2012 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Justin

That's because most people aren't idiots that stick their face in front of an unfamiliar pitbull.

February 24, 2012 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mnemone

I really don't understand how people expect a dog to sit still when a strange human shoves his or her face in his. Would you expect a human to remain as calm? Think about it. If some stranger on the sidewalk got up and came up to you, and kissed you on the face, don't tell me you would not react adversely to it. I would give them a good slap.

I don't know how this happened, but increasingly I've noticed that more and more people seem to expect dogs to be nothing more than animate, harmless dolls. No amount of breeding can make any type of dog reactionless around sudden stimuli. Those few dogs that are, are exactly that: few. Little dogs, big dogs, most can and will bite if suddenly towered over and they see no where to escape the situation.
    And for all the bully breed and mastiff haters: if these dogs are so dangerous, why aren't there hundreds of thousands of people dead already? Why only just a handful a year, if that? The danger in owning these dogs is greatly exaggerated, as usual. Horses kill many, many more a year, but rarely are horses put down for it. For some reason we have a blind spot towards plant eating animals. Even when we are killed more often by them, we still fear the occasional death by a meat eater more.

February 24, 2012 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Common Sense

Dear Jared O,

This is Canada, not China, sorry, you need to study your geography more closely.

February 24, 2012 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Kip

Argentine Mastiff doesn't lick her. Other dogs do.... They are soo friendly.

Stop tell her that she's stupid.

February 24, 2012 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  8. steelersguy

SAD story, hate to see anyone hurt... but PLEASE PLEASE REMEMBER dogs and cats aren't just pets, THEY ARE ANIMALS!!! my pit bull is an angel with me, but he can't tell me what he's thinking and feeling... Please remember that your beautiful pet is still an animal and you can never know how they may react. Better to think this way and be extra cautious...

February 24, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Audrey

First off, this dog is not a pit bull, stop calling it that.
    Secondly, this dog just days before went through a traumatic experience only to be thrust into a strange and unfamiliar place with strangers rubbing his face and staring straight into his eyes. In the dog world, this is a threatening behavior. The dog clearly seemed nervous and uncomfortable and it didn't exactly have the opportunity to say "Hey, guys, I'm uncomfortable with this." so he did the only thing that he could so which is to nip the woman.
    Its too bad she had to get hurt but it just goes to show that people need to be more educated on how to act around unfamiliar dogs.

February 24, 2012 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Joanie, Pet-owner counselor/ dog trainer

Many people don't know this but you do not kiss a strange dog in the face or on the nose. I get many more calls than you might expect from people regarding stranger kneeling in elevator or on a street corner to kiss a dog in face, they get bit, and owner wonders why. Victim gets angry. i would think CNN would have been smart enough to consult an expert first and to let any reporter or anchor know you do not kiss a strange dog in the face.

February 24, 2012 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Nicholas

If you put your face to a dogs face no matter what kind it is you will eventually get bit

February 24, 2012 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Kip

Stop defending EVIL DOG as GOOD DOG!!!

You are liar... They don't help. They bite people. Argentine Mastiff and Pitbull look like animal from UFC.

February 24, 2012 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Rev. Schaeffer

The owner is holding the dog by the collar, the reporter leans in to kiss the dog and gets bit, and the owner gets cited for a leash law violation.

February 24, 2012 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • leslyn

You're wrong. Get your facts straight before you comment, "Rev," just as I would expect you to get your Bible context right in your "real" sermons.

February 24, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rev. Schaeffer

I apologize if there was a mistake, would care to point out which facts are in error?

"When Maximus bit Dyer the owner was holding his collar, but the owner is still being cited for a leash law violation." ~ ABC News

Although perhaps she was not really trying to kiss him and I misinterpreted the act, given the context of her statement "Happy Valentine's Day" as she leaned close to his face.

February 24, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • leslyn

See Judi below. As a result of the show, the owner was cited for allowing the dog to bite.

February 24, 2012 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • leslyn

Also, sorry that I got annoyed. You were very polite.

February 24, 2012 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rev. Schaeffer

Ahh, I see.. the citation was not related to the event on the stage. Thank you for pointing that out, the other broadcast was misleading.

February 24, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  14. John Arevalo

You never approach a dog or cat's face with yours, especially if you're stranger. Remember that people.

February 24, 2012 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kip

What about cousins, uncles, infant, etc.

February 24, 2012 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Acaraho

I've volunteered for multiple dog rescue groups since 1998 and that dog needs to be put down. It is protocol for many dog rescue organizations to put down a dog that has bitten humans without provocation.

February 24, 2012 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • M

I would counter that the dog WAS provoked. If you are familiar with dogs, then you realize the dog gave many warning signs, yet the woman persisted. I feel the owner made a very bad decision putting his dog into such a stressful situation the day after surviving a traumatic experience, and is also at fault for not "reading" his dog better and intervening before the dog bit.

February 24, 2012 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Judi

This was not an "unproked" bite. The dog was majorly stressed, the newscaster put her face up to his face, and he reacted like any scared dog would act. The newscaster is clearly at fault. That being said, the dog should be taken to a behavioralist and worked with. The owner should make sure he is never put into this position again.

February 24, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

"without provocation"? SHe leaned in and got in his face to kiss his nose. Sure WE see it as her kissing his nose... all cute..bubbles, rainbows, and butterflies. The DOG sees a stranger getting in its face and must have felt threatened.

February 24, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • frances

He doesn't need to be put down.. You don't know what provoked him.. Many dogs get put down for that because ppl don't investigate why that dog really bit a human or understand what the dog is scared of that will make him bite and get bit

February 24, 2012 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • MP

If you knew anything about dog behavior and training you wouldn't say this dog should be put down. Just because you worked with dogs doesn't make you an expert. I use my computer doesn't mean i Know how it runs. Have you studied the way the animal brain works or anything. JUst because the dog bite someone doesn't mean they should be put down!!! And there was several signs the dog would bite.

February 24, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Never amazed at the stupidity of others

You should be put down. If you attempted to kiss a total stranger and that stranger knocked the ish out of you should the stranger be put down? Same scenario. Humans ares stupid. This reporter was stupid. You are obviously just as stupid.

February 24, 2012 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alex Gessong

@Acaraho: how about a cat that scratches a person "without provocation"? Would you put down the cat, too? The dog perceived a threat and the dog responded with a purely defensive bite. The dog displayed no threat behavior until the human put her mouth near his nose. This is an adult dog, not a puppy. If an adult mastiff had meant to do serious harm to her, he could have gone for her throat very easily. Unlucky incident, yes, but no reason to blame the dog.

February 24, 2012 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lila

You shouldn't be volunteering with animals.

February 24, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • MP

Those rescue organizations also put down dogs that are adoptable because there is to many animals.

February 24, 2012 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |