TV anchor gives interview after on-air dog bite
Denver news anchor Kyle Dyer received a severe dog bite on air.
February 24th, 2012

TV anchor gives interview after on-air dog bite

A Denver news anchor is speaking out for the first time after being severely injured when a dog bit her on the face during a TV interview.  Earlier this month, Kyle Dyer was interviewing the owner of an 85-pound Argentine Mastiff who was rescued from icy waters. While petting the dog’s face, Dyer leaned in to kiss his nose when the dog lurched forward and bit her face.

Dyer was taken to Denver Health Medical Center where, after four hours of surgery, she received 70 stitches to her lips and nose. She later posted on Facebook that her mouth was stitched shut in order for the skin graft to take.

She is out of the hospital and recently sat down for an interview to discuss the accident and resulting surgery. Dyer is happy that the dog is back with his owners and is pleased to be recovering and moving forward with life. Listen to her describe the bite and the moment she realized she had no upper lip.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/living/2012/02/24/bts-anchor-dog-bite-recovery.kusa"%5D
Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Colorado • Dogs • Media
soundoff (1,025 Responses)
  1. Alix

I am really sorry this happened to the reporter. Dogs get scared and humans don't realize sometimes that dogs can make mistakes, too.

However, I'm happy that the dog was given another chance. I am sure that the dog was stressed, in an unfamiliar place, and not that long after an event where it almost died. Likely it will never bite another human; however if it doesn, then it should be humanely euthanized.

February 24, 2012 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alex Gessong

@Alix: you point out something very important: "it." A mammal is not an "it." Not an object put here for humans to do with as they will. Other mammals have the same survival instincts that humans do. They are he or she, just as humans are, not "it." Other animals have brains, too. They are not robots or toys. When we keep that in mind, conflicts between humans and other animals can be avoided. In the case of a dog, we're talking about an animal derived from a wolf. Under all that cuteness and fluff, still basically a wolf. Dogs are man's best friends, but even friends have to respect each others' boundaries.

February 24, 2012 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  2. andy marino

never put your face or anything else you value in the face of a animal you dont know especially the type of breed this dog was. its not a golden retriever or something like that

February 24, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • leslyn

Don't do it with golden retrievers, either.

February 24, 2012 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Ted

Too many people excuse aggressive dog behavior as acceptable. What if this dog had mauled a small child? This type of aggression is not okay. Dogs like this need to be trained. They should not be in public if they aren't. Too many of the Bully breed supporters don't want to admit these dogs are not for everyone and are dangerous if owned by the wrong people. Not every breed is for everyone. These dogs should only be owned by people who have the ability to train and control them. Real training- Koehler method, old school training. A dog like this should not be able to put a toe out of line without his owner correcting him.

February 24, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • leslyn

What if a small child was allowed by morons to approach this animal and try to pet it on the nose and kiss it? I suppose the morons would be right. I wouldn't want this to happen to anyone, but the dog was threatened. And, he didn't "maul." A dog who is abused into aggression and not trained will maul, and should be put down with its owners.

February 24, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • JRosa

This was not dog aggression- this was human aggression. She ignored all his warning signs (and if you didn't see them, you don't know a thing about dogs- which you prove by calling this dog a bully breed, which it isn't), and got in his face when he was extremely nervous and frightened. He did precisely what ANY breed of dog does in such a situation. It's is basic instint. Don't understand dogs? Stay away from them. Only the stupid blame an animal for acting like one.

February 24, 2012 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • MP

Parents need to teach there children to NOT go up to strange dogs they don't know. Also how to pet them properly when allowed to touch the dog. The parents need to teach the kid to NOT put there face in the dogs face and to never look them in the eye. Kids should never be around a dog eating or chewing on something. If parents taught there kids these simple thins there would be alot less dog attacks on children. I do agree it's the owner of the dogs fault but the parents and the kid bite need to take responsibility to.

February 24, 2012 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  4. isis1moon

i'd bite too if someone i didn't know shoved their face into mine like that. let's use common sense around animals....especially one's with big strong jaws.

February 24, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kip

That makes a DOG EVIL and needs to be extinct. What if baby get near Argentine Mastiff face?

Dummy....

February 24, 2012 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • leslyn

Simple, Kip. Don't put your baby in front of a dog's face.

February 24, 2012 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Macey

How is this relevant?

February 24, 2012 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mary

I've been biten by a dog on my face too. I had to get 14 sitches and she's lucky to be a live. and to have her lip back. I almost lost my eye when I was attacked. I couldn't feel my face nor see out of my eye for three days. so all you people need to shut up. you don't know pain unless you been through this.

February 24, 2012 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  7. katy

I watched that interview and that dog was giving off all kinds of signs that he was not comfortable with the reporter who was evidently clueless about normal dog behavior. The owner was also clueless. Getting up close and personal with a strange dog is a big no no. And an Argentine Mastiff is not a Lab or a Golden Retriever. I'm sorry she was bitten but i also hope the dog is not punished for what he did. Imagine how you would feel if a stranger came up to you on the street or the mall and tried to kiss you on the nose?

February 24, 2012 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kip

Other dogs do lick friendly.

February 24, 2012 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Karen

Imagine how I feel when something like this is walked past me on a sidewalk. I don't know where to put my hands. One of them actually jumped on my back and tried to bite.

February 24, 2012 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Karen

Animals like this that can injure people shouldn't be allowed on the streets. But, I guess, it's like with alcohol – a long tradition that defies common sense.

February 24, 2012 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • leslyn

People like this who act stupid and put animals in a dangerous situation should be kicked off TV.

February 24, 2012 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  9. CreepedOut

I have 4 extremely peaceful, gentle, and nice dogs. However, when anyone asks whether they can pet them, my answer is "NO". Specially children may NOT pet my dogs. People who know dogs, know why. I hope that those who don't know dogs will feel encouraged to research why. Don't ever look a dog in the eyes unless you are his PACK LEADER. This "bite on air" was not the dogs fault AT ALL.

February 24, 2012 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • leslyn

Absolutely right. People who have to ask don't know dogs. Especially children. When I see a child try to pet a dog on th nose (a very aggressive gesture), I want to attack the owner for child endangerment.

February 24, 2012 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  10. adam

Happens all the time. Pitbulls are pointless. In the city, it is not uncommon for pitbull owners to not contain their dogs. Ghetto! Be careful in the ghetto, pitbulls running lose everywhere.

February 24, 2012 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Judi

The owner DID have the dog on a leash. He was just holding it up close at the collar. He was "cited" on the leash law, when he was allowing the dog to run off leash before he ran into the water. Not on the news show.

February 24, 2012 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Kip

Type "Pitbull kills baby" or "Mastiff kills baby"....

February 24, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  13. T

That poor women. My heart goes out to here. That dog needs to be put down. Any DOMESTICATED animal that attacks another human being needs to be euthanized.

February 24, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • CreepedOut

Please educate yourself, T.

February 24, 2012 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  14. happyfunnyfriday

why on earth would you kiss a dog you don't know...

February 24, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kip

How would people know? No body said it on TV before..... Dummy.

February 24, 2012 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • chitownlady

I work with dogs for a living....It was her own fault. PERIOD/ YOU NEVER EVER STICK YOUR FACE IN A DOGS FACE......No matter what th owner says. this dog had already been thriough enough with almost drowning. Now, maybe his owner didn/t need to run to tv. add in the exciotement and stress of tv and BOOM.......STUPID NEWS LADY .OSSES LIP! Its alabout BAD JUDGEMENT!

February 24, 2012 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |