TV anchor gives interview after on-air dog bite
Denver news anchor Kyle Dyer received a severe dog bite on air.
February 24th, 2012

TV anchor gives interview after on-air dog bite

A Denver news anchor is speaking out for the first time after being severely injured when a dog bit her on the face during a TV interview.  Earlier this month, Kyle Dyer was interviewing the owner of an 85-pound Argentine Mastiff who was rescued from icy waters. While petting the dog’s face, Dyer leaned in to kiss his nose when the dog lurched forward and bit her face.

Dyer was taken to Denver Health Medical Center where, after four hours of surgery, she received 70 stitches to her lips and nose. She later posted on Facebook that her mouth was stitched shut in order for the skin graft to take.

She is out of the hospital and recently sat down for an interview to discuss the accident and resulting surgery. Dyer is happy that the dog is back with his owners and is pleased to be recovering and moving forward with life. Listen to her describe the bite and the moment she realized she had no upper lip.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/living/2012/02/24/bts-anchor-dog-bite-recovery.kusa"%5D
Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Colorado • Dogs • Media
soundoff (1,025 Responses)
  1. TT

You never, ever, put your head to a dog's head. It is a dominance stance. I learned this the hard way with one of my own dogs. A mastiff is not a pit bull and just because it "looks like one" does not make it so. Dogs do not attack unless provoked. I'm sorry for her injuries but she has learned a valuable lesson.

February 24, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • joey

could not agree with you more

February 24, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Michelle

First of all, I have to comment on the comment by exCONsrvt; no, the dog does not deserve to be killed because he felt threatened. The reporter did not deserve this either but someone should have warned her to not try to kiss a strange dog on the nose. This is something you do with your own pet, not a strange dog that was probably still scared out of his mind. I will not watch the video because I can only imagine how awful it is. This should serve as a warning to other reporters to always be cautious around animals. I hope she recovers and I hope the dog has been able to calm down.

February 24, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • exCONsrvt

The dog bit her face off. I love dogs. I have a rott. But that dog showed a lack of restraint towards a human that could show up in the future. What if the dog gets stressed out and kills a child? I have kids, live in a neighborhood with kids and live by a one strike rule for this kind of behavior.

February 24, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  3. All sorts of things went wrong

First, she should know better than to do this. But sometimes people get caught up and do dumb things.
    That said, any time something like this goes on in a studio it should be management that sets the ground rules as to what can go on and what can't. And add to that that the owner, I'm assuming that is the owner with the dog, should always be alert to warning signs of how their dog is behaving and reacting to an occurring situation. Especially for a dog this size.

February 24, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Fossil112

We can all say that she should have not tried to kiss the dog...i mean that should be common sense especially if you are not the dogs owner. But what if this was someone who did not know better like a toddler or small child. I think we would think differently about the owner and the dog. That dog should be put down.

February 24, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

I disagree.
      When I had a large dog and people wanted to pet it, I was always very careful with young kids as they are unpredictable. I would place myself between the child and the dog and let them pet the dog, but not on its head, always on the shoulder and back. With adults, I would assume (wrongly I now realize) they know better than make gestures a dog will naturally feel are agressive, such as getting their heads very close.
      This is not the dog's fault. It acted on survival instinct to a perceived threat.
      I would never pet a strange dog on the head and even get my face close to its head.

February 24, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Linda

I don't allow children to pet my dog, period. Parents kill me with their stupidity....just allowing their children to run up to a dog walking by (with their owner, of course). I always alert them to stop and not pet the dog. Even with adults, I make sure they know the common sense rule of putting your hand out and letting the dog take a sniff first. Of course, my big boy then just licks them to death. Bottom line....I have my dog on a tight leash around kids, not because I am think he will hurt them, but I can't predict what a child might do that he may in turn take as a threat. I put blame on everyone here, just not the dog. First, the owner is holding the dog's neck while she is putting her face in the dog's face, while over him....umm hello....owner 101....any dog, even a dang poodle, will bite at you when they are not free to escape and someone they have never met is in their face over them, which in a dog's world is a huge threat. All I have to do is look at my dogs eyes and he knows who is boss, that is how they communicate dominance. The owner should have told her to not get that close and in the dog's face like that, but she also should have known....poor thing felt like he had to protect himself. I think she has handled this with dignity and class. She knows this was not the dog's fault. What a class act.

February 24, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Kurt

If a dog's instinct is to severely maim humans, it should be dead. Simple.

February 24, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

If you feel threatened I assume you would defend yourself, thereby possibly injuring someone. This is what that dog did, even the victim admits it. Should you be dead because you too have a survival instinct?

February 24, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

You may as well get rid of all dogs as pets then. Pretty much any dog, assuming they are normal and not traumatized, will act to defend themselves when they feel threatened. That would be an instinct and the instinct includes damaging whatever is threatening them. So, yes, any dog has the instinct to maim someone, although some can't physically carry it out. I feel bad for the woman and also for the owner.

Nobody is the bad guy here, she made some assumptions that were wrong and more than paid for her mistake. She's acknowleged it. I'm glad she is able to get past it and move on. She has a good outlook on it.

February 24, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • TT

What planet are you from?

February 24, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jayvee

Kurt, a dog's instinct is to protect itself, not to "severely maim humans." It's an animal....it's our responsibility to understand them. To expect the opposite is foolhardy.

February 24, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • SeattleDogOwner

If the dog had wanted to attack her ("severely maim her"), she very likely would have been dead. That dog gave one warning bite. Yes, it was a powerful bite. Unfortunately, humans don't have the same skin dogs do, and "warnings" don't work out the same. But to say that this dog wanted to cause damage is just plain incorrect. This dog wanted her to leave it alone. A dog attack looks very different, and would have required multiple people to get the dog off of her, where it would have been biting multiple times.

February 24, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • JT

Kurt is right, this dog appears less-than-domesticated if it's natural reaction to a human threat is to bite. People said it was a warning bite – you think that dog would have warned its own puppy with a bite that severe? The dog was wrong, too, in that the lady wasn't a threat. So not only does the dog have a horrible understanding of people(it can't accurately perceive a threat from a human) it still retains instincts that humans have been trying to breed out of domesticated dogs since antiquity.

Yeah, it may not have been a "dog attack" but it certainly wasn't a nip that didn't break the skin, or better yet, simply a growl/bark.

February 24, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Geo

then want do we do with the humans that want to hurt humans? remenber that would be soldiers, police, fighters, etc.

February 24, 2012 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • The dude

Here's the fact....the dog does not know she is going to kiss him, the dog does not know her....In the animal world a strange mouth coming at you is a threat of being bitten themselves.....She payed for stupidity.....the end.....

February 24, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • mythoughts

Remember a few hours prior to this event the dog was rescued from frozen water. He should not have been doing a rescue tour interview so soon in the first place. Maybe the owner shouldn't have been so concerned over his 15 minutes of fame until his dog had some time to recover from what happened the day before.

February 25, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  6. renee surgest

u dont put ur face near a dog that u dont know, that was just dumb

February 24, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  7. JT

If the lady is to blame than so is the owner. Who in their right mind would allow their animal to bite someone? The owner would be more likely to recognize that the dog was afraid/about to bite and should have told her not to mess with it.

That being said, any dog that would bite a human in the face in a situation like that isn't a good dog. Fear is not an appropriate reason to lunge at a person – dogs should turn the other cheek or never be allowed to breed (unless they are being bred as guard dogs). My dog would cower on the ground convulsing before biting someone's face... maybe some would consider her to be timid, but that is the trait you want in an obedient animal. If I need protection I'll carry a gun, that's not what a pet is for.

February 24, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Dondi

Wow, there is a lot of "Kill the dog because the human was stupid." responses on here. With that type of logic, guess we should start killing peoples children when INTENTIONALLY hurt someone. After all, we are going to kill an animal that is just doing what animals do. I saw someone, literally die in front of my own eyes, after they were bit by some bees. Guess we should kill them too. I read about a cat killing an old lady. Guess we should kill them also. With such logic, you wonder why Rick Santorum is popular!

February 24, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • hmmm

I didn't know bees bit people? That's odd. And the dog is an animal not a child. Big difference wouldn't ya say? Peta much? Lol

February 24, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • MaggieJS

I don't suppose it matters, but when bees STING, they die. The stinger remains in the victim, and when stinger is pulled out of the bee's body, it inflicts a lethal wound to the bee. So yeah, the bees who stung that person gave their lives to do it.

February 24, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  9. JJ

First!!!

February 24, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • JJ

Sorry... First! why place your face in front of a new dog. why would you try to kiss a strange dog?

February 24, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Michael Schmitt

What IDIOT would "kiss" a strange dog ? It was naturally perceived as an attack by the dog. I blame this woman 100 %. She probably did it on purpose to get publicity.

February 24, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • The dude

I live in the Denver area and see this particular reporter constantly on the news. Let us just say she is not the brightest crayon in the box. In fact I find her very annoying and change the channel as soon as I can. This is a no brainier, the dog has no clue you are trying to kiss him, he doesn't know you and in the animal kingdom a strange mouth coming at you is a threat of getting bitten, pure and simple... She paid for stupidity...the end......

February 24, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  11. gloria

#1 she did not know the dog, so why was she so stupid as to get her face so close to the dogs face. I would have bitten her too. STUPID LADY. All for just a story.

February 24, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sambo

What's stupid is you would actually say she did it for a story? How moronic. This lady was scarred for life.

February 24, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Canopy

Mistake made...lesson learned. Glad the dog is doing well.

February 24, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  13. musings

The problem is that young children often put their face to a dog's face. I suppose this mastiff was shaken by its odd experiences, the strange studio, the new people. I wouldn't say it was traumatized because I'm don't think a dog "remembers" until it sees the same situation, so it isn't engaged in abstract thinking. The problem is the strength of the dog and its ability to tear off your lip. Because enough people were on the scene it didn't go any farther. It's a fine line between fear and caution, but the human-created situation in which this dog was a sort of pitiful victim set up the babying which was inappropriate to the species.

February 24, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • bczu

There are tons of dogs that arent good with children. Including poodles. Know the characteristics of the breed before you own one. If I dont have kids why cant i have a dog thats not good with kids? Who the hell cares?

February 24, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  14. davey

Don't you dare criticize Kyle Dyer 'cause Kirk Montgomery will call you a name, you hater.

February 24, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Slewatha

Do the 5 why's and the conclusion is the owner should take full responsibility for the incident because he let the dog off the leash.

February 24, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |