TV anchor gives interview after on-air dog bite
Denver news anchor Kyle Dyer received a severe dog bite on air.
February 24th, 2012

TV anchor gives interview after on-air dog bite

A Denver news anchor is speaking out for the first time after being severely injured when a dog bit her on the face during a TV interview.  Earlier this month, Kyle Dyer was interviewing the owner of an 85-pound Argentine Mastiff who was rescued from icy waters. While petting the dog’s face, Dyer leaned in to kiss his nose when the dog lurched forward and bit her face.

Dyer was taken to Denver Health Medical Center where, after four hours of surgery, she received 70 stitches to her lips and nose. She later posted on Facebook that her mouth was stitched shut in order for the skin graft to take.

She is out of the hospital and recently sat down for an interview to discuss the accident and resulting surgery. Dyer is happy that the dog is back with his owners and is pleased to be recovering and moving forward with life. Listen to her describe the bite and the moment she realized she had no upper lip.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/living/2012/02/24/bts-anchor-dog-bite-recovery.kusa"%5D
Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Colorado • Dogs • Media
soundoff (1,025 Responses)
  1. Amy

It's not really her fault, it's the owner's for letting this happen. It could have been easily prevented had he been more responsible about it.

February 24, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ashleigh

It was her fault. Anyone with half a brain knows better than to put your face into the face of an unfamiliar animal.

February 24, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • chiamora

and how in the world is it the owners fault? He knew the anchor was going to put her face in his dogs face? Does he look like miss cleo? I had some woman step out of her car at a drive in bank once and was talking to me. My dog was sitting in my lap waiting for our turn at the window .Suddenly with no warning she grabs my dogs nose and says what a cutey he is. I was shocked and my dog went into attack mode. I grabbed him as he started to leap out the window at her. She said she was sorry and ran back to her car. But my dog was mad about it.Its slips of judgement like that ,that cause people to get bit. No matter how well meaning they are YOU are the human and should have control over yourself and be thinking about approaching an animal you don't know.

February 24, 2012 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aaron

It was clearly her fault. That is 85lbs of muscle and teeth and claws, sitting in an unfamiliar and stressful environment, and she put her face up to it in a way that all dogs view as threatening.

February 24, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  2. anon

Yes, it was the anchors fault for not recognizing the animal tensing up. But unfortunately, I think the dog should still be killed now that it has had a taste of human blood, and now it is far more likely to bite people again. Can't be tolerated. What bothered me more then anything was how relaxed and nonchalante the "men" acted when she was bitten.

February 24, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Another anon

Taste for human blood? It's not a vampire, it's just a dog, it's not going to become some crazed killer now. What are you talking about?

February 24, 2012 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Loretta W.

You are severly 'STUPID", dogs do not get a taste for human blood, read something besides a comic book.
      Educate youself on the history of dogs with humans, tens of tousands of years, they don't want to eat us.

February 24, 2012 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • barb2012

Your ignorance is astounding. Taste for blood? How about people "in the dog's face?" Get some education.

February 24, 2012 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • lepke

The reaction of the animal was normal. High stress situation even for people. They should know better. The dog did not just randomly attacked a person. It was provoked. I feel really bad for the bitten lady though.

February 24, 2012 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • chiamora

Sorry the bit about once they taste blood is an old wives tale. We're not talking about an animal out of africa here. This is a domestic dog. She should never have tried to kiss a dog on the nose she didn't know. it's that simple.

February 24, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Judy Panico

How can this dog ever be trusted with anyone??? How about a child who gets close? Forget it. I am a serious dog lover and have two standard poodles, but would never keep a dog that bit a person or other dog that seriously!

February 24, 2012 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Archer

And Shane, you want to talk dog bite statistics? German Shepard's are actually at the top of that excuse for a list.
    Don't blame breeds.

February 24, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tucker

Don't be silly. Just like a human environmental AND genetic factors play a role in aggression. It's not one or the other. You can breed aggressive just like you can breed anything.

There is no reason to suggest to people that they should ignore the fact that some breeds have a history of more aggressive behavior and that is passed on genetically.

February 24, 2012 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Tseena

I saw another one of these on TV last night and they both do the anchors both do the same thing. They go eye to eye with the dog and come in at them from above. This is the most aggressive move that can be made in the dog world. The dogs are just reacting to the perceived aggression from the humans. Humans need to learn how to behave around dogs, we are the ones with the large brains.

February 24, 2012 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Loretta W.

Well said.
      We don't have to own dogs to educate ourselves on what not to do around them , mostly use common sense.

February 24, 2012 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  5. mikeb1

I have to say, I am very impressed with that reporters, kindness, poise and dignity. Without lowering down to the level of many on this very board who bicker and squabble over blame, and self rightousness indignation, she succeeds in driving clearly home what her values are; grace, dignity, and compassion. Good on you Kyle Dyer.

February 24, 2012 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • SMB

I agree completely!

February 24, 2012 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tucker

Well keep in mind she is on TV. Blaming the dog would look bad and she knows that. Her person feelings could be entirely different than the ones she plays on the air.

February 24, 2012 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jessica

I thought everyone knew to never ever get in an unfamiliar dog's face. Although there have been horrible dog attack incidents, I believe people must remember that we are supposed to be the smart ones. You can't blame a dog for being a dog, but there are times a human should know better and act likewise.

February 24, 2012 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Lila

I think people should stop calling her stupid. She made a stupid mistake but her actions since then has been anything but stupid. Most people would react in a hysterical foolish manner and would have played victim by blaming the dog and not learned a thing from this awful experience. Kyle Dyer on the other hand, is proving herself to be an amazing intelligent women who learned a painful lesson. The fact she said she is happy the dog is home with his owners speaks volumes about her character. I really wish her well.

February 24, 2012 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • scott

good post

February 24, 2012 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • NC

Well said. We all make mistakes, but not all of us learn from them. She has learned dignity, humility, and grace. But what a painful way to learn this lession. Ouch!!!:-(

February 24, 2012 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Nikki

In what way is this the dogs or the owners fault? She should not be petting the face or kissing the face of a dog she does not know. You people that say it is anyone's fault but her own are rediculous. The dog's owner was present and it was on a leash. She had no business sticking her face near it's mouth for it to be bitten off.

February 24, 2012 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Loretta W.

It is the owners fault.

I have 2 rescued pit bulls, they are extremly gentle, and well trained, AND I would never allow anyone close to their faces it may be precived as threat, why risk it? I ask strangers not to approch them without my consent, if I sense my dogs are nervious I say no, which is not often,but that is for the ownwer to determine and then be responsible for the outcome.

February 24, 2012 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  9. drwhoo

She tickled the dog enough to annoy him. I wonder what she would do if some stranger tickled her likewise !

February 24, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Tom

Take a shotgun killed that dog and buried on the backyard. The owner will be happier and save money for gas rather than buying more dog food, barking people, hating people.

The owner would be happier to own other friendly dog or cute puppy.

February 24, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Another anon

Cute.

February 24, 2012 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thia

Seriously? You are sick, Tom.

February 24, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  11. barb2012

Stupidity comes in all careers. Petting a strange dog and putting your face close to the dog's mouth??? You don't think you deserved those cuts? I am sorry anyone gets hurt, but come on. I don't think this anchor will be petting strange dogs again. Didn't you learn anything as a child?

February 24, 2012 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

A child is a human. Dog is an animal. Big difference.

February 24, 2012 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thia

Yes, Tom, you are right. A dog is a wonderful animal and a child is a parasite. HUGE difference.

February 24, 2012 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Amy

I'm saying yes, the anchor should have known better, but she didn't. But, had I been that dog's owner, I wouldn't have put the dog in that situation to begin with (on tv with a stranger after a stressful experience).

February 24, 2012 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Really? How come other dogs become more friendly?

No good excuse.

February 24, 2012 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • leslyn

Tom, your remarks make no sense. Are you wasted?

February 24, 2012 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  13. erich2112x

Hand me that newspaper roll. BAM!....Bad Doggie. You are bad!.

February 24, 2012 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  14. NukeTim

She should have known better.

February 24, 2012 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

She could not predict. You idiot.

February 24, 2012 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  15. ohbehave

An "argentine mastiff" is really a Dogo Argentino.... these dogs come with lots of warnings "must be knowledgeable about dogs... this is a serious dog... etc.". I can NOT believe that this anchor wasn't warned. I can't believe she didn't take a look at the dog and think to ask "is it ok if I approach?". I mean, look at the way the owner is restraining the dog.

February 24, 2012 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |