TV anchor gives interview after on-air dog bite
Denver news anchor Kyle Dyer received a severe dog bite on air.
February 24th, 2012

TV anchor gives interview after on-air dog bite

A Denver news anchor is speaking out for the first time after being severely injured when a dog bit her on the face during a TV interview.  Earlier this month, Kyle Dyer was interviewing the owner of an 85-pound Argentine Mastiff who was rescued from icy waters. While petting the dog’s face, Dyer leaned in to kiss his nose when the dog lurched forward and bit her face.

Dyer was taken to Denver Health Medical Center where, after four hours of surgery, she received 70 stitches to her lips and nose. She later posted on Facebook that her mouth was stitched shut in order for the skin graft to take.

She is out of the hospital and recently sat down for an interview to discuss the accident and resulting surgery. Dyer is happy that the dog is back with his owners and is pleased to be recovering and moving forward with life. Listen to her describe the bite and the moment she realized she had no upper lip.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/living/2012/02/24/bts-anchor-dog-bite-recovery.kusa"%5D
Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Colorado • Dogs • Media
soundoff (1,025 Responses)
  1. Steve

If that DOG become MAD ZOMBIE would you keep it or kill it?

February 24, 2012 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  2. j.l.

I feel for this woman, I think that her enthusiasm just overtook her common sense. That said, every child should be taught that you never put your face in a strange dog's face...even your own dog is capable of biting if sick or stressed. This is not the dog's fault but sad nonetheless. I hope that this lady makes a full recovery and that others learn from this...most important, teach your children that if you want to pet a dog you must first get permission and you must never put your face near theirs.

February 24, 2012 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Bender

Who just shoves their face into the face of a strange animal? Stupid stupid.

February 24, 2012 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  4. ArtInChicago

We have accidents. We make mistakes. Period. Glad to know she is better.

February 24, 2012 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  5. T.rex

All Yorkies should be put down immediately.

February 24, 2012 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Rick

The dog is not a pitbull, is Dogo Argentino; a dog that has been specifically developed through selective breeding for big-game hunting. They are extremely protective of their territory and owners, and males can get to weight over 120 pounds. What happened to Kyle was very unfortunate, and I feel sorry for her, but it was not the dog's fault. These dogs are not the kind of pet you hug and kiss, especially when they are nervous. Unless you are the owner, or you know them very well, you should be very careful with them. My friend growing up had two of those, and I used to hug them and play with them, and they were extremely friendly to me, because I knew them since they were puppies. However, one time I was taking care of one of them, and the neighbors dog, a crazy German Shepard, had escaped and made the mistake of barking at me. Before I could separate them the other dog was dead; in just a few seconds. These dogs are very good hunting and watch dogs, very protective, but they are also killing machines that need to be treated with respect.

February 24, 2012 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jake

I agree 100% I too suffered a dog bit to the nose and when I was asked if I wanted the dog put down I told them NO! I was 10 when the dog bit me, but leaned in towards its face and nose. I wasn't teasing it but I should have known better than to get into a dogs face!!

February 24, 2012 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  7. t

she just got her lip bit off... imagine what these dogs do when they attack a person and there is no one around to break the attack apart... She was foolish to get in that dog's face. The grace she is showing is the covering up of her foolishness. Every day there are dog bites.. Dog bites that kill humans, turn toddlers and small children into ragdolls. We have so many wandering animals and the city won't pick them up... They need to be picked up and euthanized. I have compassion for animals, but my biggest compassion is for human life.

February 24, 2012 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. t

I hate how people continue to compare humans with dogs.....

February 24, 2012 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thia

You are right. Dogs are so much better.

February 24, 2012 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  9. shpadoinkle

Not 24 hours before this incident this dog had fallen through ice into a frozen lake, and fought for its life for 20 minutes before being rescued. Kyle should have known better, and she obviously knows this. But truthfully, most of us should know better. I'm so glad she is recovering and the dog is back with its family.

February 24, 2012 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Steve

She should get rabies tested.

February 24, 2012 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  11. JC

This reporter caused this accident to happen; NEVER put your face up to a dog, any dog, that you do not know. This was not the dog's fault and it's too bad this woman did not mention this in her recent intereview, instead she seems to only want sympathy, she caused herself to get bitten.

February 24, 2012 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  12. RD

Sorry, but it looks like a pit bull and acts like a pit bull. They are not sweet and they do not need a hug and a kiss. I hope that lady heals well. Oh, did I mention that pit bulls suck!?

February 24, 2012 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

Your mother does too.

February 24, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • PB

Clearly RD doesn't know how to read or they would see that the dog is not a pitbull. Looks like RD is the one that sucks! It's because of ignorant people like you that pitbulls get an uncalled for bad rep.

February 24, 2012 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • las

Your comment is beyond ignorant.....its a shame....I bet you have never been around a pittie they are loyal protective members of the family

February 24, 2012 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Steve

This lady is a class act. I hope she regains all of her feeling and it's good to see that it didn't hurt her looks at all. She's still beautiful.

February 24, 2012 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  14. duckmanbill

Those Argentians can be quite agressive. Learn from the British and give them a stiff upper lip.

February 24, 2012 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Steve

The owner of that dog felt humiliated. I guess he hates his dog soo much.

February 24, 2012 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |