March 2nd, 2012

At least 28 deaths blamed on Friday's apparent tornadoes

Editor's note: A devastating storm system moved across the United States on Friday, spawning a slew of tornadoes that contributed to at least 28 fatalities in Indiana, Kentucky and Ohio.

Friday's storms come days after a separate tornado outbreak that left 13 dead across Kansas, Missouri, Illinois and Tennessee and battered parts of Kentucky as well.

[Updated at 11:41 p.m. ET] the death toll from Friday's storms has risen to at least 28, authorities say. The deaths were reported in Indiana, Kentucky and Ohio.

[Updated at 6:42 p.m. ET] A second person has died in Clark County, Indiana, as a result of apparent tornadoes that swept through the area Friday, the county's emergency management director told CNN.

That brings the death toll for the state to five two in Clark County and three in Jefferson County according to state and county officials.

[Updated at 6:14 p.m. ET] At least four people have been killed in Indiana after powerful tornadoes swept through the state Friday, according to state and local officials. Three of the deaths are in Jefferson County and one is in Clark County.

[Updated at 4:02 p.m. ET] Between 40 to 50 homes in Hamilton County, Tennessee, have "significant damage that we know about," the county's Chief of Emergency Management Bill Tittle told CNN on Friday. He said that there are 24 reported injuries and, while none of those appear to be life-threatening, he acknowledged that "we have not reached all the homes."

[Updated at 3:01 p.m. ET] Trained weather spotters reported a tornado at 1:43 p.m. CT (2:43 p.m. ET) in Posey County, Indiana, according to the National Weather Service. It is the third tornado the weather agency has reported on Friday.

[Updated at 2:35 p.m. ET] Severe weather injured at least six people Friday and caused damage near Chattanooga, Tennessee, said Amy Maxwell, a spokeswoman for the Hamilton County Office of Emergency Management.

[Updated at 11:44 a.m. ET] At least 17,000 customers were without power Friday near Huntsville, Alabama, amid reports of a tornado or tornadoes in the area, the Madison County Emergency Management Agency said. Huntsville is in Madison County, which is in far northern Alabama.

[Updated at 11:26 a.m. ET] The National Weather Service issued a tornado emergency for Madison County, Alabama, on Friday morning after saying a large and extremely dangerous tornado caused widespread damage near Meridianville, Alabama.

[Updated at 11:20 a.m. ET] At least one apparent tornado damaged or destroyed several homes Friday morning in Limestone County, Alabama, just west of Huntsville in far northern Alabama, said Cindy Adams of the Limestone County Sheriff's Office.

Touchdowns were reported in the communities of Tanner and East Limestone, she said. One apparent tornado touched down at least once before authorities could sound a warning siren, she said.

[Initial post, 10:55 a.m. ET] An apparent tornado touched down Friday morning near Huntsville, Alabama, authorities said. Officials have reports of houses damaged in Madison County, said Paige Colburn, an emergency management official.

FULL STORY
  1. Bill O'Rilley

This is a no spin zone.

March 2, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. I notice details that others miss

Oh no. The Mars Hill Bible School is Closing.

March 2, 2012 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. banasy©

After the first set of storms, I said we were starting early.
    Another poster said I was showing my ignorance.
    I think not.
    I live in the midwest.
    He didn't say where he was from.

March 2, 2012 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

Good evening, banasy.
      When you wrote that, I didn't write a reply, but I thought that you were correct: I had thought the same thing.
      I grew up in a potential tornado path where we knew that we were naturally protected until the Barnett Reservoir was built. Then my parents' town was hit by a terrible one that killed many, and on one visit I heard a tornado pass at night with a freight-train sound and damage several houses on their street.
      I am thinking good thoughts for all who live in the areas affected by these storms.

March 2, 2012 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  4. no apology

@ banasy I also said it was going to be a bad year, I think we were right!!

March 2, 2012 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "On The Lunatic Fringe"

Apparent tornado: Someone blowing gently in your ear.

March 2, 2012 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. BJ Bell

To the Governor of Kentucky:

The Governor referred to our President as Obama, that's Mr. Obama or the Mr. President.

He wouldn't refer to you by your last name so don't do it, you really come across as being disreptful to the office.

He is the President of America, and even though you're a Republican show some respect.

March 2, 2012 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

I have tremendous respect for this president. I voted for him, shall vote for him again, and support his campaign financially as well as in other ways.
      I refer to him as the President, President Obama, and Obama, for variety and for cadence of sentence structure.
      I also refer to Garbo, Einstein, Brando, Horowitz, and Reagan by their last names with the intention of ultimate respect for their fame instead of with the intention of disrespect which you perceive because of your experience.

March 2, 2012 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

I just revisited your exhortation of the Governor of Kentucky regarding his politesse and knowledge of Debrett's.
      Although I support and respect both the President of the United States of America and his office. I am another Republican.

March 2, 2012 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

Aussi, there is no "President of America."

March 2, 2012 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alice

Alabama is in the heart of tornado alley. Oklahoma, Kansas and Texas get MORE tnoeadors, but the southeast usually has more damage because we are more densely populated than rural Oklahoma, Kansas, etc. (which are mostly farming areas).But, no, it is NOT uncommon to see tnoeadors in Ala, GA, TN, etc. Anyone who has lived here all their lives will tell you that. We are in the eastern belt of tornado alley.

April 24, 2012 at 2:11 am | Report abuse |
  7. Luke

Tornado alley. I am so lucky my family and I don't reside there. So sorry for the deceased and the injured. It seems to me, that with the passage of time, all our presidents are receiving less respect by the public. You can read an old article. It was never "Kennedy." It was "President Kennedy." The title has been dropped for decades.

March 2, 2012 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "On The Lunatic Fringe"

@BJ Bell – So it's President Obama and not just Obama? I'm not suprised you caught that. I don't know...do you run a day care center somewhere? And what does being a Republican have to do with that anyways. Are you suggesting that Republicans are somehow all racist snobs? Barrack Obama is not the only president that has been reffered to by just his last name, or perhaps even less.
    It's always been good policy to keep your own nose clean, and not worry if some other klutz makes a mistake. People don't have to be reminded come next election.

March 2, 2012 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

"Give 'em hell, Harry."

March 2, 2012 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "On The Lunatic Fringe"

Oh Joey...I grow soooo tired.

March 2, 2012 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • MP ΘY

I grow weary of blatent disrespect of our citizens. I doesn't matter who our Commander-in Chief is. It's all a moot point anyway; the cards are not stacked in our favor, no matter who our POTUS is.

March 3, 2012 at 1:51 am | Report abuse |
  11. Beverly Freeman

I live in north Alabama and we are always hit really bad. We had three on the ground between 11:00 am til 4:00 pm and from Florence Alabama to the Ga Line. The damage was horrid as the little children can not understand what is happening. Many adults do not either. People up here have not had time to rebuild from the last ones – last week. We have been lucky – 3 yrs ago in April we were hit by the very end and did damage on our home and two other buildings. It was finally finished that October. My heart goes out to all our towns and communities up here. I grew up with hurricanes but with them you have plenty of warning, tornadoes you have nothing. Please share a prayer for all of them

March 3, 2012 at 1:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. chrissy

I wondered how long it would take for the weather to be Obamas fault! Just like the riots in greece and god knows what else! He must be more powerful than people give him credit for if he has all that controll! Guess that makes it a done deal for 20l2!

March 4, 2012 at 1:42 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Penner

I have lived in Tuscaloosa all my life. Ten years ago a tornado hit in the area where I live off 69 South, but that one does not raopmce to the mass devastation of this one. Places that have been here since my childhood days are gone. Tuscaloosa will never look the same in these areas. I work at the hospital here and was off sick the day the tornado hit. If the tornado would have hit the hospital it would have been devastating. Thanks to all the people from all over that have come to our great state of Alabama to help out. You just don't know how much these means to the people of Tuscaloosa and the other areas of the state. God Bless each and every one of you. Thanks to President OBama for coming to our city and also a big thanks to Charlie Sheen also. Please continue to keep our great state in your prayers. Alabama the Beautiful will be Alabama the Beautiful again soon, thanks to all the volunteers.

April 22, 2012 at 2:30 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. 行動電源推薦

Hi, I do think this truly is an excellent blog. I stumbledupon it I will revisit once again since i have saved as a favorite it. Money and freedom is the greatest way to change, may you be rich and continue to help other people. 行動電源推薦 http://www.powerbankinfo.com

June 23, 2013 at 9:47 am | Report abuse | Reply