Ohio shooting suspect heading back to court
Ohio school shooting suspect T.J. Lane walks into court on February 28, 2012.
March 6th, 2012

Ohio shooting suspect heading back to court

Accused Ohio school shooter, T.J. Lane, will be in juvenile court Tuesday for a pre-trial hearing as prosecutors move to limit the release of more information about the suspect.

Lane, 17, is charged with three counts of aggravated murder, two of attempted aggravated murder and one of felonious assault in connection with the shooting last month at Chardon High School.

Last week authorities released police reports and court records that showed that Lane had a troubled childhood.

Another hearing is scheduled for March 19 where authorities plan to discuss a motion to transfer Lane's case to an adult court, prosecutors said.

A funeral mass for 16-year-old Demetrius C. Hewlin, one of the victims, is also scheduled for Tuesday.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Crime • U.S.
  1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

T.J. Lane's history of a troubled family and his juvenile encounter with the law remind me that some children from terrible family situations find their own way to a brighter future. In growing up, I often had to seek worthy mentors among my teachers and among stable friends my own age because of the absence of guidance that should have been available to me from my parents, who could barely handle their own neuroses. There are other regular writers here who were also the good captains of their own ships in childhood.
    I would hate to serve on a jury deciding T.J. Lane's guilt or possible punishment.
    The only way I see him as suffering from his environment is in his disenfranchisement by time and fashion of thinking patterns: T.J. Lane grew up in a period of widespread abdication of personal responsibility in the USA.

March 6, 2012 at 7:23 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

He also grew up with the widespread availibility of guns, although he could have chosen not to use it.

March 6, 2012 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Maria

I couldn't agree more with you. The parents first and then us as a society should be on trial. There are so many biological fathers and mothers that have no clue what parenting is. And as a society we are certainly far from being a first world society. We chose to blame others instead of taking responsibility. Our children are growing up without experiencing the value of life. I think from reading most of the rest of the posts that so many of the writers also grew up without it, and therefor jump into blaming and hating a child. I hurt for all those affected by this tragedy including TJ Lane. Let us not point the finger because we never know who may be at the other end.

March 6, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  2. AMERICA 1st

Its a killer that needs caged so that it doesnt murder again. Plain and simple! No sympathy from me!

March 6, 2012 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  3. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

@ banasy, 7:49:
    A reduced availability of guns will not stop the use of guns by either adult criminals or irresponsible children.
    There was always at least one gun available to me in my home when I was T.J. Lane's age, but it never occurred to me that I might actually shoot a person with it. Shooting a person would not have occurred to any high-school student (or pupil) that I knew in my gun-wealthy Southern state, where a portable electric chair was also available and in widespread use.
    Illegal drugs are so easily available to all addicts that this fact might be used as an argument for the superior intelligence of drug addicts.
    Making guns illegal will make them unavailable to law-abiding citizens. Criminals and irresponsible children would still acquire guns as readily as addicts now acquire any drug of choice to which they choose to be addicted.
    It is in areas of thinking like these that I would like to see thinking patterns again progress again toward the way things were during the 1950s. Students shooting students and the coolness of drug addiction do not represent social progress.

March 6, 2012 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
  4. AMERICA 1st

People trying to reason that its "home environment" for the reason for it murdering those young people has to be incredibly stupid! The kid knew wha it was doing from the very start.

March 6, 2012 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  5. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

Delete one "again" in the post just above. My writing was interrupted by an important phone call.

March 6, 2012 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  6. common sense

If this kid was soo abused by his family, so why didn't he killed them but rather went for innocent kids..make no sense..

March 6, 2012 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  7. greatDayEveryone

Stop making excuses for the little monster! He just decided to do a horrible, evil thing. Mentally ill people aren't more likely to be violent than "normal" people. Its not about his homelife or gun laws or him being"sick". Its about evil.

March 6, 2012 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  8. Brittany

My heart goes out to TJ Lane. He's just as much a victim as the rest. I understand the others shouldn't of had to die. But,what's he to do when no one would listen and actually take the time to know him? Would it of made a difference if there was one person he could truely confide in? I pray they charge him as a juvenile,he's still only a child.

March 6, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |