Apple’s next 'You-know-you-want-one' device
Apple CEO Tim Cook introduces the latest iPad.
March 7th, 2012

Apple’s next 'You-know-you-want-one' device

It’s finally here.

The rumors have been buzzing for almost a year now, and tech sites on the internet have been blogging with speculation and frenzy in the recent weeks, all trying to figure out what is Apple going to come out with next.

And my, does Apple know how to put on a performance.

It sends the media an invitation weeks before the big day, and, in usual Apple flair, layers the anticipation on the day itself, making the tech press squirm uncomfortably in their seats (myself included).

Apple’s CEO Tim Cook rises and talks about numbers; 25 billion app downloads, the opening of Apple store number 362 in Amsterdam, (where, presumably, you will be able to buy the item we really want to hear about).

And some recent accomplishments.

A short history lesson.

Oh look, some new software. (Get on with it already!)

And then finally, the big reveal.

Here it is: the absolute latest gadget that could possibly send cult Apple fans into their next overnight-camping-in-line-to-buy-even-though-I-may-not-need-this-I-want-one frenzy: The new iPad

Apple unveils new iPad

Apple unveiled its long-awaited, next-generation iPad on Wednesday.

New iPad poster child of 'post-PC world'

It does everything you’ve ever wanted it to do, and, more than likely things you never figured you’d want it to do. See why CEO Tim Cook calls it the poster child of the “post-PC world”.

Tim Cook explains why iPad wins market

While there are many other tablets out in the market, here Tim Cook explains why nothing compares to the iPad experience. (And takes a small stab at Samsung in the process).

Post by:
Filed under: Apple • Technology
  1. P3D0-B3AR

Unleash the Sheeple!

March 7, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Stephen Falk

..and apparently the idiots

March 7, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • P3D0-B3AR

I am guessing you are one of the sheeple that will be standing in line for days just to fork over $500+ for one.
      I feel sorry for you, yet again, you chose to drink the kool-aid, so then again, I don't.

March 8, 2012 at 6:36 am | Report abuse |
  2. Joe

Only a dingleberry follower uses the tern "sheeple." It does not make you sound cool or witty or cutting edge. It makes you sound lame, lethargic and turducken-like.

March 7, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bookenz

So does dingleberry.

March 7, 2012 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • J.B.B.

So what are you?? A dingleberry leader??

March 7, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Flappy

FYI Joe. Using the term Dingleberry doesn't make you sound cool either.

I love these forums. It's like watching trolls fling mud at each other. Flame on!

March 7, 2012 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Orso

I guess I'm a Dingleberry Sheeple .... (Add any other pejorative terms of your choice here)... because I got one tabled of each OS, (iPad, Android, BlackBerry, Windows). My wife just likes to call me Nerd.

March 7, 2012 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  3. kansaslawdog

Held off getting the ASUS Transformer Prime to see what Apple would offer. Not much. Time to buy the PRIME (quad-core, microSD and SD slots, etc.).

March 7, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. edge

Why would I upgrade when I just discovered the joy of jailbreaking?

March 7, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • krozar

Because Apple commands you to!

March 7, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. matthew

A lot of buzzwords, no acual statistical comparisons between the iPad and other Tablets. Ive used iPads before and purposely went with the ASUS Transformer based on my lackluster experience with the iPaidTooMuch. Tablets are the future of home-computing, yet instead of maxing out their users' experience, they dish out oversized iPhones with limited functionality. The Transformer has MicroSD and HDMI ports, as well as the option to purchase a keyboard dock that basically turns it into a touch-screen netbook (all while doubling the battery life and giving you access to full USB ports). It blows me away when people are out there paying $700+ for something that is just marketed better than everything else (which is actually the main reason it sells). "Big,beautiful screen" and "all day battery" means little to someone who actully thinks before they buy something.

March 7, 2012 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • krozar

Apple will hunt you down and kill you for using the term TABLET. Tablet; PC; netbook; and laptop can never be used because marketing is everything.

March 7, 2012 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  6. hoss

still no flash??

March 7, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Aezel

Do you live under a rock? Adobe killed mobile flash. Nobody will use flash ever again on mobile devices.

March 7, 2012 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Unplugged

Aezel – Gee, I'll have to let me Android phone know about this lack of Flash: I use it EVERY day!

March 7, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Phil

The problem I have with Apple is that you buy their product and then a year later it is outdated?
    Too bad in an economy like this...

March 7, 2012 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Phil

I just bought the IPAD2 a few montha ago, 64gb wifi paid over $600.00 for it now be lucky to get $300.00 for it since the new announcement.. not worth the hype or the price to have to keep upgrading, might as well buy some other brand that keeps it's value because not being upgraded so often, plus usually a lower price to buy it when new!

March 7, 2012 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tony

They still sell new iPad2 16GB new for $399 and sell refurb iPad2 64GB wi-fi models for $549, so how are you only going to get only $300 for it.

March 7, 2012 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  9. word-smythe

Paid Microsoft trolls, you're up. Leave your scathing comment and collect your 50 cents.

March 7, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Mike

Let's see – Apple releases a new phone once a year. New phones supporting android get released every month, replacing the older (outdated) versions. The iOS hasn't changed much in recent years – because it doesn't have to. It already possesses everything most people use day-to-day. No need for microSD cards or other attachments, it isn't meant for that. I personally think Apple DOESN'T go outdated as much as android.

March 7, 2012 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • daiokaio

what are you talking about? They do have SD slots. I have two 2010 MacBook Pros with SD Slots. My brother's 2010 iMac has an SD Slot too. Come on now!

March 7, 2012 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • joeyTnuts

uh .... isn't that for quick transfer from a camera? Yeah, that's what it is for, doofus!

April 2, 2012 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • yoyo pa

i'm pretty sure he was talking about adroid phones vs. iphones. not macbooks.

April 2, 2012 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • pooch

indeed. i know far too many android users who cannot upgrade their phone to a newer version of android because the phone manufacturer has moved on, leaving them even more vulnerable to any security issues with the phone, and without many of the newer features. talk about planned obsolescence.

March 8, 2012 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
  11. Peacefulguy

Cook, you're no Steve Jobs. Not even close...

March 7, 2012 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • word-smythe

Well, if he WAS Steve Jobs, that would mean Steve was back from the dead, and we all know the only way for that to happen is if he's a zombie. So now you have zombie Steve Jobs, running around eating people's brains, which of course only creates more zombies. So, you would wish a zombie apocalypse on all mankind simply because you miss Steve Jobs. Well, let me tell you, we all miss Steve, but not enough to become brain-eating zombie cannibals, that's for sure.

March 7, 2012 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  12. J.B.B.

TOTALLY agree!

March 7, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Siri

Don't think he's trying to be ...

March 7, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. doug

All of you who's talking down the new iPad either haven't used it or bought an android and now feeling less than adequate. I feel bad for you. In any case, you can continue to struggle with your inferiority issues, I'll enjoy using and be productive on my new iPad.

March 7, 2012 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • 2tor

I feel bad for you.. well not really. But you ought to enlighten yourself.

March 7, 2012 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • 2tor

Oh yeah, btw. I do own one. It pretty much collects dust.

March 7, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Flappy

doug. I am happy your iPad makes you feel superior to everyone else. I support anything that makes you happy. However you shouldn't feel sorry for me. I was happy before I had an iPad and I will be equally happy without one.

March 7, 2012 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |