Apple’s next 'You-know-you-want-one' device
Apple CEO Tim Cook introduces the latest iPad.
March 7th, 2012

Apple’s next 'You-know-you-want-one' device

It’s finally here.

The rumors have been buzzing for almost a year now, and tech sites on the internet have been blogging with speculation and frenzy in the recent weeks, all trying to figure out what is Apple going to come out with next.

And my, does Apple know how to put on a performance.

It sends the media an invitation weeks before the big day, and, in usual Apple flair, layers the anticipation on the day itself, making the tech press squirm uncomfortably in their seats (myself included).

Apple’s CEO Tim Cook rises and talks about numbers; 25 billion app downloads, the opening of Apple store number 362 in Amsterdam, (where, presumably, you will be able to buy the item we really want to hear about).

And some recent accomplishments.

A short history lesson.

Oh look, some new software. (Get on with it already!)

And then finally, the big reveal.

Here it is: the absolute latest gadget that could possibly send cult Apple fans into their next overnight-camping-in-line-to-buy-even-though-I-may-not-need-this-I-want-one frenzy: The new iPad

Apple unveils new iPad

Apple unveiled its long-awaited, next-generation iPad on Wednesday.

New iPad poster child of 'post-PC world'

It does everything you’ve ever wanted it to do, and, more than likely things you never figured you’d want it to do. See why CEO Tim Cook calls it the poster child of the “post-PC world”.

Tim Cook explains why iPad wins market

While there are many other tablets out in the market, here Tim Cook explains why nothing compares to the iPad experience. (And takes a small stab at Samsung in the process).

Post by:
Filed under: Apple • Technology
  1. pooch

"It sends the media an invitation weeks before the big day"

weeks? i'm guessing that you, like everyone else, got their invitation one week ago. exaggerate much?

March 8, 2012 at 1:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. McGuffin

Apple is a good toy maker, better even than Mattel.

March 8, 2012 at 1:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • JF

I've been hearing that one since 1984. I also heard that a mouse was a toy, that real computer users would never use a graphic interface, that the Internet was good for nothing but chat rooms, and that laptops would never be capable of handling any serious work.

March 8, 2012 at 2:01 am | Report abuse |
  3. olfart

The market chooses - Apple wins (for now)

March 8, 2012 at 1:42 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Benny

Funnily put..... Maybe 20 years someone will challenge!

March 30, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  4. McGuffin

So... what can you do with this iPad other than look at it?

March 8, 2012 at 1:51 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Robyn

You can also look at other people who are looking at it, and they can look at you and seeth with envy, and other's can look at the group and feel a part of the great confluence of appleness. As Bobby DeNiro said, "You're either in the circle of trust, or you're not." Trust me, you wanna be in.

"One of us. One of us."

March 15, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Apples Biggest Fanboy

Look at it???? I use it to look at ME! Who else but a narcissistic fool would buy Apples obsecenely overpriced toys that can't accomplish anything more 'meaningful' than posting useless narcissistic crap on social media, looking at shiny pictures, checking emails in case someone needs more pictures of me and sitting back with a bucket of ice-cream while I watch video's (although only SOME of them will play)?

March 20, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jobs was no ordinary jerk

I use mine to see who's looking at me. Then I look to see if they have looked to see if I looked to see them looking at me. After that, I look at pictures of me. Than the American Patriotic Christian God that Chinese slave laborers make these things for 60 bucks less than we could make them in the USA. I deserve it. The world owes me.

March 20, 2012 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  5. ChrisD

I don't plan shooting and editing HD Video with my IPad. Sorry Apple, but this new IPad is a "meh". I'll stick with my IPad2 thank you very much. The first new product launch after the loss of Steve Jobs is a let-down. Let's hope this isn't a glimpse into the future of Apple product development.

March 8, 2012 at 8:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • DeeNYC

This was just the incremental step, like what the S is to the 4. i agree anyone with an ipad2 has no compelling reason to upgrade to this. But if you still have a first generation ipad or any android this is the way to go

March 15, 2012 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robyn

Not to put to fine a point on it, but have you already forgotten the rock your world excitement that was the iPhone 4s?

Yawn.

March 15, 2012 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  6. The Bob

The iPad is pretty much a flat laptop, minus what you would need to do any real computing. Add a stand/docking station and some real computing abilities and I actually could see this taking off a bit into the business world, I would consider giving it a try. I already do everything on my laptop for work, the tablet extension or replacement would just make for less bulky item to carry. Plus with the network in the office I dont save anything directly on my laptop. Actually working on a tablet without a docking station/etc would be pure hell, but I could see the usefullness of a thin client type application.

March 9, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. A-Rod

Moron's choose, apple wins for now.

Post-PC world, that's so stupid, come back when Ipad is used as a super computer.

March 15, 2012 at 9:10 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Stan

No, I know I don't want one.

March 18, 2012 at 8:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Joe piechi

Apple products are such a come-on. Marketing for the sheaple.

March 18, 2012 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Steven

I hope Steve Jobs casket had extra room because he's probably doing a few spins in it right now. For a company that likes to give consumers the next-great-thing, Apple turned corporate praying-mantis on us and opted for profits over wow factor. Other than the quad-core processor (which may have been available a year ago) the iPad 2 and iPad (3) were traditional tech strategies to squeeze very last penny out of consumers. Firstly, there is nothing exceptional about the latest incarnation. I have no problem with that. You can't come up with a game changer every time. However, the upgrades in the iPad (3) were obviously calculated over a year ago when the iPad2 was released. The screen technology, which is mature, could have been implemented on the iPad 2. The higher resolution cameras could have been implemented on the iPad 2, even the Tracphones of the world have been including higher resolution cameras for years: it's not obscure technology. Cellular communication with LTE was also mature. So, instead of putting them into the iPad 2, the produced a product that was far below their technical capabilities but just enough to get people to shell out money for the latest and greatest. Now, the iPad (3) has what the iPad2 2 should/could have had in the first place. I feel cheated. It makes you wonder what they could REALLY put into a new tablet but will wait until the consumer base has exhausted their hard earned, budgeted money before giving us that. It's a trickle strategy that works well in America. Everyone needs the latest and greatest. If you have an iPad 2, or even an iPad 1 and don't need Facetime, DO NOT upgrade. BTW, how many people want to use their table to capture pictures and video, we have phones and cameras for that.

To add to the fleecing, reports abound about the temperature of the iPad (3). Apparently, it heats up to an uncomfortable temperature. A direct result of the new processor.

Anyone with me? Boycott the iPad (3) and give Steve Job's corpse a rest. All that spinning could kill him.

March 20, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Mrs. Narcissist Ipooed

RE: "So... what can you do with this iPad other than look at it?"
    The most popular use is uploading pictures of yourself and then admiring how you look.
    I use mine to read news articles about exploited and abused Chinese slave laborers who make these gadget toys so I can buy them $60 cheaper than if they were made in the US. Life is good for us narcissists!

March 20, 2012 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ipooed too!

Wow... me too. I love to sit on my couch and do nothing useful with my iPooed all aftenoon. I just finished admiring my online pictures of myself when I saw your comment. Apple fans deserve slave laborers toil and trevails... cuz we're 'special' and "they just work" (the slave peasants in China I mean.)

March 20, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  12. TC

Just imagine if car companies could attract millions of brainless lemmings at each and every product release...and all they had to do was change the size and engine in the car. And now people, I unviel the 2012 Ford Pinto...that looks exactly like the 1973 Ford Pinto...but with a better engine...and then the Ford PintoPad, which looks and functions exactly like the Pinto itself, but larger....hold on, I meant LARGER! It is important to enunciate properly when trying to sell junk to uninformed consumers who may have trouble noticing the difference. Behold!!!! The IPAD3, which looks nearly identical to the IPAD2, and IPAD1...and the IPHONE, and the IPOD...(except...LARGER). Apple fans are nothing but lemmings....I can't wait for the IPHONE 5, and the IPAD 4...I am so tired of the old look.

March 22, 2012 at 11:51 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. JohnnyG

I do get a lot of enjoyment reading all these moronic demoncratic musings regarding the new iPad! Take 10 of them and add up their IQ's and you might get 100!

The iPad is the most revolutionary device to come along in many years and will change the face of computing, and you can quote me on that!

March 25, 2012 at 11:04 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Bert Bigdongle

Wait where is the keyboard?

March 25, 2012 at 11:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Cosmos42

Yay, another gadget for sheep to convince themselves they need! Sheep are the biggest patriots in this country, because we all know that most of this country's economy depends on frivolous consumption.

March 28, 2012 at 10:40 am | Report abuse | Reply