March 8th, 2012

Public assistance pulled from lottery winner

A Michigan woman who won the lottery but continued to receive food assistance from the state government has had her benefits pulled, officials said.

Amanda Clayton hit it big playing the Michigan Lottery. Like many winners, she used her $1 million prize to buy a new house.

But the Lincoln Park, Michigan, resident continued to receive money in another form - $200 a month in state food assistance, according to CNN Detroit affiliate WDIV.

Her story made headlines, and on Thursday, the state's Department of Human Services announced that she is no longer getting the benefits.

According to Michigan law, welfare recipients must report any changes in assets or income to the agency within 10 days.

The department "relies on clients being forthcoming about their actual financial status. If they are not, and continue to accept benefits, they may face criminal investigation and be required to pay back those benefits," Director Maura Corrigan said in a statement.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Michigan
  1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

I'm bot around much these days, so I miss things.
    My impression was rgat hamsta worked–two?–jobs.
    Also, I thought that you had to reveal all of your assets, old and new, to get public assistance and to keep it.
    So why is it news when you lose food stamps after winning the lottery?
    Shouldn't you be prosecuted for continuing to take assistance?
    BTW, I'm off to work now and just got off all-morning business calls.
    If I played the lottery, maybe I'd retire. :)

March 9, 2012 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

I wrote that without good reading glasses, so the editing is very unJIF.

March 9, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Hello, JIF.
      The woman is stupid, and deserves whatever penalty she gets.
      You aren't on here much, so you cannot fully understand the...er...inconsistencies...that have been told by this person you referred to above.
      I'm being polite when I use the word 'Inconsistencies."

I don't play the lotto.
      I never did.

Have a nice day at work.

March 9, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Hamsta Has To Pay For It

He's a joke and he knows it.

March 9, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Hamsta Has To Pay For It

One thing he didn't pay was his water bill, so he can't take his yearly shower. He smells like a toxic waste dump.

March 9, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  4. buy vpn

Hi there, You've done an incredible job. I will definitely digg it and individually suggest to my friends. I am confident they'll be benefited from this website.

April 1, 2012 at 3:36 am | Report abuse |
  5. gene

what a freakin dirt bag...send her to jail

April 3, 2012 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Allana

Hi Kim, I think you hit it right on with the Time Shifting comment. The idea of on-demand with erlease dates is an interesting idea, however that still would not work with something live like the Grammy Awards.I think the big shift will come when you see a major player or star take a series to the web only I think by that point, the networks just may get what a bunch of idiots they have been?The television industry today proves one thing how NOT to listen to your consumers!Thanks again for the comment!Doc

April 22, 2012 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |