Guilty verdict in Rutgers webcam spying case
Dharun Ravi listens in court on Friday.
March 16th, 2012

Guilty verdict in Rutgers webcam spying case

[Updated at 8:01 p.m. ET] A former Rutgers University student accused of spying on and intimidating his gay roommate by use of a hidden webcam was found guilty Friday of all counts - including invasion of privacy and the more severe charges of bias intimidation - in a case that thrust cyberbullying into the national spotlight.

Dharun Ravi, 20, was also found guilty of witness tampering, hindering apprehension and tampering with physical evidence, and could now face up to 10 years in jail and deportation to his native India.

Sentencing has been set for May 21.

The New Jersey jury was confronted with a series of questions on each charge after it asked for clarification on what constituted bias intimidation. Though it found Ravi not guilty on several questions within the verdict sheet, because he was found guilty on at least one question on each main count, Ravi was convicted on all charges and could now face the maximum penalty.

[Posted at 11:30 a.m. ET] A verdict has been reached in the trial of a former Rutgers University student accused of spying on and intimidating his gay roommate by use of a hidden webcam.

If convicted, Dharun Ravi could face up to 10 years in prison and deportation back to his native India.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Justice
  1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

@ centexan©, 8:02 PM:
    I agree with you.
    The mess to which I referred has many separate puddles. Nobody is arriving with a mop and a bucket. The prevalent thinking in the USA continues to deposit its waste in the mess it has already produced.

March 17, 2012 at 6:59 am | Report abuse |
  2. Philip

One man's "deposits it's waste in the mess" is another man's "revelling in her own luxuriant dung."-Cicero

March 17, 2012 at 7:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Mary

To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life, unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?
      Cicero

I for one appreciate these poignant explanations on a given facet of life. Or knowing your history on any given subject.

March 17, 2012 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  3. Philip

Ok. That case didn't take long. I wonder how long it will take to find and arrest the accomplices. (All the *dung beetles* who just had to watch...couldn't help themselves from watching this particular homemade video. A few charges for being accomplices to a hate crime will help where they wouldn't help themselves)

March 17, 2012 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |
  4. Philip

Most gays were still in the closet when I was in HS. My junior year, this handsome young couple decided to start holding hands while walking down the hallway. For us kids, it was the first time we ever saw two boys holding hands. Our natural "fox in the henhouse" reaction has been watered-down over the decades to what we see now. Chickens tolerating foxes because the gay sympathetic Rooster said so.

March 17, 2012 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
  5. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

@ Philip:
    Thank you for honouring me by quoting me.
    I ask that when you do quote me, you use the Queen's English as well as I posted it.
    I would not write, "deposits it's waste in the mess," as you quoted me. You might write that.
    Understanding both possessive forms and contractions, I wrote, "deposits its waste in the mess."
    Thank you.
    All kindest regards,
    JIF

March 17, 2012 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  6. Mary

I like this quote from Edward abbey I just found.
    "Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread."
    "Down the River", p. 148

March 17, 2012 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  7. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

@ Mary, 11:49:
    I like this quote:
    "If thou hast two loaves of bread, sell one and buy flowers, for bread is food for the body, but flowers are food for the mind."
    –The Koran

March 17, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

Or, Mary,
    "We want Bread, and Roses too!"
    –banner carried in Lawrence, Massachusetts, women strikers in 1912

March 17, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

That banner was carried "by" the textile workers in 1912, not "in" them.
      My apologies, Ma'am, for the incorrect use of your language.

March 17, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Je ne sais quoi

Ah, transparent little Ave Maria, showing her true colors.

March 17, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  10. ? ? ?

I love stirring the pot between you two! ;)
    Your soooo gullible

March 17, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

Did you mean "you're" instead of "your?"
      Don't offend the Queen.

March 17, 2012 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

@ Mary:
    Who writes all the banners?
    I don't sign mine when I advocate for the 1%.
    The 1912 Lawrence banner about bread and roses was quoted in at least two songs, in one poem by James Oppenheim, and in a 1915 anthology by Upton Sinclair, "The Cry for Justice: An Anthology of the Literature of Social Protest."
    Y'all want any more research, you can do it yourself: I think for myself.

March 17, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  12. John Joannides

he was invading his privacy... and should be dealt as so, how they are treating this case is beyong ridiculous and im tired of trying to show this to people. THIS WAS NOT A HATE CRIME.. im just going to devote my life to law and politics and try and change things.. people are useless

March 17, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

@ John Joannides:
      You are going to devote your life to law?

March 17, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  13. John Joannides

Just on a further note, if Ravi kills himself now, does Ellen from the tv show go to jail?:)

March 17, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mary

@ Je ne sais quoi,
    which ever post your implying I am rest assured, it's not me. I have only conversed with Joey on this thread today.
    I don't wish to bicker with anyone, any longer.
    Good day

March 17, 2012 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  15. **cosmicVox *

Yep, or she might off herself...

March 17, 2012 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |