March 18th, 2012

More questions than answers in account of American's abduction in Iraq

The murky abduction account of an American, who nobody appeared to know was missing in Iraq until he resurfaced, is raising questions about everything from his name to the circumstances surrounding his reported kidnapping.

A Shiite militia loyal to radical cleric Muqtada al-Sadr announced Saturday in a bizarre, pre-taped news conference that it was releasing U.S. soldier Randy Michaels, who one Sadrist lawmaker said was captured in battle nine months earlier.

The man did not identify himself, though he said he was a former soldier who was working as a civilian when he was abducted.

But U.S. officials say all missing soldiers have been accounted for and no civilian was recently reported missing, and even the man's ex-wife said she didn't know he had been kidnapped.

On Sunday, adding to the mystery, the U.S. Embassy declined to identify the American or discuss details surrounding the reported abduction.

"We cannot disclose any further information at this moment regarding this case because of privacy practices," embassy spokesman Michael McClellan said.

But a U.S. official who had knowledge of the man and had seen the video told CNN he was Rand Michael Hultz, a former Army soldier who served in Iraq shortly after the 2003 invasion and later returned as an "entrepreneur."

The account by the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the nature of the case, is supported by interviews the man gave to an Iraqi television stations in 2010 where he identified himself as Hultz and detailed his business ventures.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Iraq • U.S. • World
  1. chrissy

Well banasy, then i say, lets go see that next concert! Have you read the ahead of the curve thread?

March 18, 2012 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Yeah, I did, chrissy. Lol!
      I commented.
      You'll know.

March 18, 2012 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  2. bobcat2u

Well banasy and chrissy

Looks like it's time for trolls nasty mouths to commence, so I guess I will say good night to you fine ladies.

March 18, 2012 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Superman

@@@ bobcat2u ,,,,,,, watch out i might come into that gay bar and sit right next to you would you know if its the SUPERMAN next to you ? Besides same gender bars are a lot of fun. They are not meat markets,LOL my climbing partner drinks with me on occasion and hes straight but they are fun as hell and the people are for the most part really nice just like me nice!

March 19, 2012 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
  4. Superman

By the way ive seen some cross dressers out here on the cali side that were pretty damm good looking, but not my type. I have another straight friend that went to a bar one night met a woman left and came back in an hour and i asked him dude are done already? And he said it never happened and i left him standing in his living room. You want to talk funny as he#l !!!! And he looked like he saw a ghost. But you know what he was looking at!!!

March 19, 2012 at 12:51 am | Report abuse |
  5. Bill

I can see russia from my house

March 19, 2012 at 7:27 am | Report abuse |
  6. John

In 2005 I worked for KBR and this guy worked for KBR security he had a way so we thought to invest in the Iraq Dinar and or the ISX. He took a lot of money from Contractors and Soldiers and then pretty much disappeared and now is most likely trying to gain some sympathy so he can stop running. He has not been missing for 9months he has been missing for around 3 or 4 yrs. Unless he comes up with a lot of money that he took from a lot of people he is nothing but a Thief. So if the news media try's to make this Rand Hultz into some kind of hero remember there are a lot of people out here that he flat out stole there money.

March 20, 2012 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

I was his supervisor at KBR Security in Baghdad Green Zone from 2004 eo 2005 and he was the biggest scam artist I ever met. I tried to get him fired but he was being protected by a retired army General and a retired army colonel who worked for KBR. He did not get fired but I got transfered.

March 28, 2013 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |