March 22nd, 2012

Al Sharpton to join protest over killing of unarmed Florida teen

The Rev. Al Sharpton heads to Florida Thursday to join the growing crowd protesting the killing of unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin.

Sharpton, the outspoken activist and television personality, said he will hold a rally Thursday night in a church in Sanford, the city in the crosshairs of this national controversy.

Martin was fatally shot February 26 while walking to the house of his father's fiancee in Sanford after a trip to a convenience store. George Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch leader, said he shot the teen in self-defense.

Zimmerman has not been arrested. A police report describes him as a white male; his family says he is Hispanic.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Crime • Florida • Trayvon Martin • U.S.
  1. Bubba™

Billy-Lee for President

March 22, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  2. ryan

Sharpton is a bum, how many blacks kill innocent whites and hispanics everyday and we here nothing....this is a joke

March 22, 2012 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Joey B

Oh great, with Al around I am sure this will be handled very fair and unbiased.

March 23, 2012 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  4. T Nichols

I can’t believe, that this has been reduces to a hoodie issues when this is clearly an issue rooted much deeper than a fashion choice. I guess it’s just easier to deal with and more politically correct than saying he was just a black young man walking… On August 24th it will be 57 years since Emmett Till and now Trayvon Martin, before him, Jena Six, before them, James Byrd, before him Medgar, Malcolm, King (Rodney and Martin Luther) not to mention the many many before and the many between; what has really changed?; based on the afore mentioned list from then to now not much. Maybe except people just got a little better at PRETENDING ‘this kind of thing just doesn’t happen’. Or maybe it’s just that most people like the practice of selective memories; that’s easy too. But for those of us who live our lives as blacks we CAN NOT afford to forget. I wonder when everybody has taken there Hoodies off and gone home from the protest, and resumed the normal course of their lives: how much will open HATRED have subsided. It doesn’t matter it’s the hidden hatred that concerns me like the kind the prosecutor and authorities of Florida have exhibited. Need another example here you go : In the name of truth I will call this what it is: This is a Lynching with no rope. Forgive me for my blunt-ness, on second thought, don’t worry about the forgiveness I’m good.

March 23, 2012 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  5. vinny

poor blacks.....

March 25, 2012 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  6. johnny h.

Your people brought you to this country, If you don't like it theres flights to Africa daily....

March 25, 2012 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  7. ryan

AMEN to that brother

March 25, 2012 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  8. diabetic

You can definitely see your enthusiasm within the work you write. The sector hopes for even more passionate writers like you who aren't afraid to mention how they believe. At all times go after your heart.

April 24, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  9. latino brides online

Hi, i believe that i noticed you visited my web site thus i came to return the favor?.I am attempting to in finding things to enhance my website!I guess its ok to use a few of your concepts!!

April 27, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |