Big reaction to Tebow trade in the Big Apple
Editors of New York's tabloids had fun with the trade of quarterback Tim Tebow to the New York Jets.
March 22nd, 2012

Big reaction to Tebow trade in the Big Apple

First, New York had Linsanity. Now it's Tebow Time. Fans in New York are fickle after all.

After a few hours of on again, off again wrangling, Tim Tebow inked a deal with the "city that never sleeps" and is now a member of the New York Jets. Is Tim Tebow the answer to Jets fans prayers? Will Tim Tebow be accepted by New York City's large liberal and secular population?

New York sports radio was aflutter yesterday with comments from listeners both for and against the trade. Jets legend Joe Namath, who took New York by storm when he led the Jets to become Super Bowl champions in 1969, called the trade a "publicity stunt" on ESPN Radio and said, "I'm sorry I just can't agree with this situation. And I'm a Tim Tebow fan, but I'm a bigger Jet fan than I am a Tim Tebow fan."

Tebow, many say, is the polar opposite to the flamboyant ladies' man Namath. Neither Mark Sanchez, the current Jets starting quarterback nor his head coach Rex Ryan made any public comments about the trade.

The news of Tebow's departure from the Denver Broncos to the New York Jets may have left a sour taste in Broadway Joe's mouth, but do all Jets fans feel the same way? How will Tebow fair in a city with so much flare?

The New York tabloids seized the moment with a full Tebow blitz with front page headlines reading, "Amen" and "God Him." Even Lady Liberty herself took a knee and "Tebowed."

When asked about the Tebow trade, New York City Archbishop Timothy Dolan chose to remain neutral, saying, "we are going to stay away from this one at this time."

On the New York Jets' official Facebook page, fan reaction was mixed. One fan who was clearly in favor wrote:  "Can't wait to start cheering on the Jets!! Treat Tebow well. He is a great role model for all the young and not so young men as well as girls. You will not be disappointed! God put him on your team for a reason. Just have faith and Believe."

Not everyone was as positive on the Facebook fan page, with one comment saying,  "The only people that like Tebow here are women, kids, and the Tebow Cult lol sad."

CNN took to the streets of New York to get the pulse of the people. Outside the New York Jets store in Manhattan, many of the fans we spoke to had mixed emotions.

New Yorker Andrew Rubin said, "I think that the trade was terrible. I think, if you get Tebow without giving out a fourth round pick, you shouldn't have done it because that locker room is gonna be Tebow guys, and there's gonna be Sanchez guys, and the Jets have so many holes to fill that giving up that fourth round pick, it’s terrible."

Julio Moran, a Jet fan visiting New York who hails from Florida, said: "I love it. It’s great. I think it’s good for publicity and I just think ... he’ll bring fire to the team. Even though Sanchez will be No. 1, he’ll light a fire under his butt."

When asked if Tebow can handle all that New York has to offer and stick to his religious morals, Jets fan James Colasanto said:  "He’s different than most guys who come into the NFL, you know, where he sticks by his religion. He seems like there’s nothing fake about him, so he shouldn't have any problems, I don't think, handling New York in that sense."

Some are calling the move sheer genius from a marketing perspective. Ronn Torossian, CEO and president of 5W Public Relations, said: "I think Tim Tebow can be the King. ... He comes to New York already a celebrity."

Torossian added there is a lot of rewards in New York but also lots of risks. He points out that Tebow has lived a relatively sheltered and private life and that will most definitely change in New York.

"Tebow needs to be careful of the liberal media, who he gives access to and how. One mistake in New York off the field can make his brand change very,very quickly," Torossian said.

CNN spoke to former New York Giants player Amani Toomer about Tebow coming to the Big Apple and the temptations he faces.

"Whatever type of person you are, New York City is not going to change you," Toomer said. "New York City is not that place where it turns you into something you are not. I don't see him having any problem being in New York City."

Whatever side of the discussion you’re on, one thing is certain, Jets fans in New York will have to wait until next season to see what type of Hail Mary passes Tim Tebow throws and if he is in fact their new "savior."

Post by:
Filed under: New York • Pro football • Religion • Sports • Tim Tebow
  1. LinBowEffect

It's like the "pick and roll" of football. If EVERYONE plays together as a team, there's a multiple threat to the system (similar to basketball's Knicks...ok so just saying you know). But pick and rolls or option plays can only work if there's team effort. Both Sanchez and Tebow are young players who are thirsty and can be explosive when given the opportunity. I'm a newly onboard Jet fan buying in to another NY rebirth. All we need is a Spike Lee of the Jets. :-)

March 22, 2012 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. JerseyJeff

I just hope the following bible-thumpers don't ruin JETS tailgate fun, it's a fun and insane crowd. (Also incredibly drunk and vulgar) J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!

March 22, 2012 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. citizen

TeaBow will resurect new York and deliver it from evil. New york will become a red state.
    the jets will still be an average team.
    So let it be written.
    in the year of our lord two thousand and twelve.

March 22, 2012 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. big mike

Ugh. I can't believe Tebow actually CHOSE the Jets over Jacksonville. I understand why, but they are such a fly by the seat of their pants franchise that they are unlikely to sustain a high level of team talent. Then again, almost anything is better than Denver. They are gonna suck more than my ex girlfriend.

March 23, 2012 at 12:20 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. ron

Well, the biggest reaction I can muster is *yawn*.

March 23, 2012 at 5:40 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Cesar The Chorizo Chimp Of Chihuahua

Tebow is one of the worst football players I've ever seen in my entire life.

March 23, 2012 at 11:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Janis

How True!!!!!!!

March 23, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pat

Yup. Just way better than dirty sanchez ever will be. Tebow played 8 games and won seven last year. How many did the dirty mexican win? One more but played twice the # of games! Did the jets go to the playoffs? Kinda hard when u don't have a QB. Now they have one.

March 25, 2012 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Greek American

Yes I think this is a bad move for the Jets. Rex better hope this works because he will be the next big story in NY after the upcoming season if it doesn't. In other words, he may lose his job.

March 23, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Vivek

I wish him well and hope everyone gives him the opportunity to prove himself, rather than than judging him for his faith and Tebow mania that the people created. He is just being himself and I hope you all could to be patient. He isn't the one asking you to follow him, but the least you can do si the spare him your critical opinion.

March 23, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. DemocraticStatesofAmerica

Bible-thumper go home!

March 23, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. josh270903

I think Tebow is a very good Qb. But being a mexican fan of the "jets de Sanchez" I don´t like it so much. I hope Mark return in a great shape.

March 23, 2012 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Pat

Keep hoping. He meant to sign up for college FUTBOL, not real FOOTBALL. One year of college ball is not enough. Everyone is starting to see....why can't you?

March 25, 2012 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  11. God's Girl

Don't EVER mess with one of God's own!! He WILL get you!!

March 23, 2012 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. im still laughing

I just dont see how its going to work out for Tebow. I cant believe his mom allowed it. Reminds me of the movie 'The Devils Advocate.' I Think Elway made a horrible mistake. One hard shot to Peyton and it could all be over.

March 24, 2012 at 10:39 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Plausable

T.T. serves a big God, bigger than football, & bigger than the ignorant statements against him & his beliefs. His god is in control & is orchestrating his life perfectly. He has a very unique platform. Go T.T. For Christ!!
    john 3:16