French killings suspect dead after siege, minister says
Members of the RAID special police forces lay siege to the area where suspect Mohamed Merah was holed up.
March 22nd, 2012
07:14 AM ET

French killings suspect dead after siege, minister says

[Updated at 7:14 a.m. ET] The suspect in the killing of seven people in and around the southern French city of Toulouse is dead after a police siege of his apartment lasting more than 31 hours, French Interior Minister Claude Gueant said Thursday.

Merah, 23, was wanted in the killings of three French paratroopers and of three students and a rabbi at a Jewish school in Toulouse, in a string of shootings that began on March 11. Gueant said earlier police wanted to capture him alive.

"We hope that he is still alive," Gueant said overnight. "We have a priority to hand him over to the authorities."

But they had no contact overnight with Merah.
Police fired stun grenades at the building every hour through the night, but there was no response. They launched a raid amid gunfire around 11:30 a.m. (6:30 a.m. ET) and Gueant announced the suspect's death soon afterward.

As police first attempted to seize him early Wednesday morning, Merah shot and wounded two officers, Paris prosecutor Francois Molins said.

[Posted at 4:31 a.m. ET] French authorities have had no contact overnight with Mohammed Merah, who is suspected in seven recent killings and is holed up in an apartment in the southern French city of Toulouse.

"There were two gunshots in the night at 2 a.m. and we don't know what they correspond to," Pierre-Henry Brandet, the Fench Interior Ministry spokesman said Thursday. "Since then we have not heard anything from him, our attempts to contact him have not yielded any results. He had said earlier in the night that he wanted to die with weapons in his hands."

Interior Minister Claude Gueant expressed his concern in an interview with RTL Radio.

"We hope that he is still alive," he said. "We have a priority to hand him over to the authorities."

Merah, 23, is wanted in the killings of three French paratroopers and of three students and a rabbi at a Jewish school in Toulouse, in a string of shootings that began on March 11. He opened fire on police as they tried to break down his apartment door about 3:30 a.m. Wednesday, wounding two officers, Paris prosecutor Francois Molins said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Crime • France • World
soundoff (21 Responses)
  1. Lotsapoppa

    France has some of the worst food on the planet, by the way. Take a lot of Dramamine if you plan on going there.

    March 26, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
1 2

Post a comment


 

CNN welcomes a lively and courteous discussion as long as you follow the Rules of Conduct set forth in our Terms of Service. Comments are not pre-screened before they post. You agree that anything you post may be used, along with your name and profile picture, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and the license you have granted pursuant to our Terms of Service.