March 26th, 2012

Syrian opposition groups gather in Turkey, try to unify voice

Disjointed factions of the Syrian opposition are meeting Monday in Istanbul in an effort to form a unified voice ahead of the next week's "Friends of Syria" conference.

Turkey and Qatar urged opposition groups to attend the conference, which they said "will bring all major opposition groups and figures committed to a peaceful political transition in Syria," according to an invitation sent to prospective attendees.

The meeting comes as the reported death toll from a government crackdown mounts inside Syria. At least 14 people were killed across Syria on Monday, the opposition Syrian Network for Human Rights said.

The goal of Monday's conference is "for all forces and parties of the opposition not to be a union, but at least to have a united purpose," said Amar Qurabi, leader of the National Change Current opposition group.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Syria • Turkey • World
  1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

Not all Change is necessarily good.
    We could all think of helpful suggestions to accomplish the overthrow of Syria's government, but I will not support a revolution that might establish a government with which the USA might be unable to work.
    I was opposed to deposing the Shah of Iran to bring in the joyous ascension of the most gracious present leaders of Iran with their text-founded holiness and atomic programs.

March 26, 2012 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  2. High Hopes

And... the strategy is put in motion...

Down with al Assad!

March 26, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  3. dazzle©

My post got deleted within 30 seconds. Why is this because I made a negative comment on Qatar?

March 26, 2012 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  4. bobcat (in a hat) ©

If this dosen't tell everyone just how chaotic the situation with rebels is, then you have to be blind. Each different faction of this revolution wants things their way. What that is telling me is once Al Assad is dealt with, it is going to be a free for all, just like in Iraq and Libya now and Afghanistan when we leave there. And you really feel we should be putting our forces into this ? Really ?

March 26, 2012 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle©

@bobcat(iah) said poster must be out of ones mind. By the way, hi...

March 26, 2012 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

we're the people's front of judea

i thought we were the popular front..

PEOPLE'S front..

whatever happened to the popular front, reg?

he's over there..

SPLITTER!

March 26, 2012 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  5. dazzle©

Lee you are not making any sense.

March 26, 2012 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

it's mp's life of brian. in that movie, there were many groups opposed to the occupation of jerusalem by the romans. basicly centered around one, the people's front. but they interacted with others – most easily remembered the popular front and campaign for free galilee. they all hated each other.. seemed topical..

campaign for free galilee

people's front of judea.. officials..
      what are you guys doing here?

we're going to kidnap pilot's wife, take her back, issue demands.

that's our plan

what?

that's our plan!

we thought of it first

we've been planning this for months!

have you got all your demands worked out then?

of course!

well, what are they??

well, i'm not telling you..

hilarious. check it out some time

March 26, 2012 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
  6. dazzle©

@leeintulsa, thanks for clarifying and I will check it out. Hello to you? How's that rash? :-)?

March 26, 2012 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  7. leeintulsa

i'm doing alright. looking for a more full time position, now that it seems people are hiring again. and i think the rash is more of a dry skin thing.. 😉

March 26, 2012 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle©

@leeintulsa, the hiring statistics are looking better, so keep on trying. What kind of work do you do?Somebody must have reported abuse on me, my posts are gone. If humidity levels are low, the skin gets dry. Drink tons of water and try good old apple cider vinegar on the rash :-).

March 26, 2012 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

i'm an electrician, and i will keep the cider vinegar thing in mind. thanks 🙂

March 26, 2012 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  8. My Name Is (___________)

Any reference to Monty Python is a good reference...looney as they were, they were spot on about many, many things!

March 26, 2012 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle©

Fawlty Towers is also great.

March 26, 2012 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  9. dazzle©

@My name is_______? Love Monty Python and laugh hysterically every time I see Mr. Creosote. You tube it for humor on the spot.

March 26, 2012 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

if you liked meaning of life, you'll love the life of brian. i think it's their best movie

March 26, 2012 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy©

Hey, daz, leeintulsa!
    Daz, good advice to ( ) about Mr. Creasote.
    I'm still waiting for BBC America to put MP on....
    Maybe I'll change my name to Ken Clean-Air System.

March 26, 2012 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle©

It is the real @banasy! How are you darling girl? LOL on that name change. I wish BBC would put that back up, maybe I will actually turn on the TV again. Prime Suspect is another must.

March 26, 2012 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

every morning, he ran the 5400 km from his two-room lean-to in bangkok to the gym. for lunch, he'd stop by the side of the road and rub gravel into his hair..

thanks, b 🙂

bbc america has done it a few times. sure it'll be back around 😉

in the mean time? number one.. the larch.. the.. larch..

March 26, 2012 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Oh, yes, it's me, all right!

I see lee picked the ball right up and ran with it...
      Here's another...I steal lupins....
      Dennis Moore..steals from the poor, gives to the rich...stupid bich...

I always wondered what the next tree slide was going to be, as they never got past number one...the Larch...lol...

March 26, 2012 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

a scotsman on a horse!

March 26, 2012 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

What areya bringing us lupins for? We're starving you silly git!
      Or words to that effect....

And I still hold a special place in my heart for the Ministry of Silly Walks and DP Gumby.

I do the wall walk very well.
      Ah, good times.

Good night, all.

March 27, 2012 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

I always knew lee was electrifying!

March 26, 2012 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle©

Our Lee certainly is.

March 26, 2012 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
  12. banasy©

Banasy Ken Clean-Air System out.
    I have a dead parrot to return early tommorow, (after I break my fast with some Spam) and there's nothing on the telly but a penguin.

March 26, 2012 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

it's pining for the fjords

March 26, 2012 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Thatt was the very first skit I saw.."what's on the telly?" "Looks like a penguin to me" "No, no, not what's on TOP of the telly, what's on the program!" I was hooked, I'll admit.

March 26, 2012 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |