March 29th, 2012

Zimmerman's father says Trayvon Martin threatened to kill his son

The father of George Zimmerman, the man accused of shooting and killing and unarmed black teen, says the teen threatened to kill Zimmerman and then beat him so badly that it forced Zimmerman to shoot the teen.

"Trayvon Martin said something to the effect of you're going to die now or you're going to die tonight, something to that effect," Robert Zimmerman told Orlando TV station WOFL. "He continued to beat George. At some point, George pulled his pistol. Did what he did."

In the interview Robert Zimmerman, his face obscured because he says he fears for his safety, vehemently defended the shooting that has caused outrage throughout the nation, moved President Barack Obama to call it a tragedy and prompted a federal investigation.

Robert Zimmerman told the news station that Martin confronted his son first and pummeled his son continually.

"He was punched in the nose. His nose was broken," Robert Zimmerman said. "He was knocked to the concrete. Trayvon Martin got on top of him and just started beating him. In the face. In his nose, hitting his head on the concrete."

Robert Zimmerman was not there the night of the shooting and did not say during the interview how he knew the details of the altercation.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Crime • U.S.
  1. Sofa King

And now, a bit of sarcasm.

What? He was beating Zimmerman? He broke his nose? He threatened to kill him and was smashing his head on the sidewalk? No. It can't be true. The media told me he was a clean cut littel kid with a bag of skittles. Al Sharpton and Chaka Khan confirmed it. They can't be wrong. They are perfect and have no political agenda whatsoever. Not like those horrible white people.

March 29, 2012 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
    • John

Don't say that! Im waiting for the looting to begin so I can get me a new big screen tv and some new . air jordan, two hunned and fitty dolla kicks.

March 29, 2012 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

@Sofa What sarcasm. It is more likely you are upset right now. I am not trying to be sarcastic or am I upset.I have no dog in the fight but want the truth. New police pictures 1/2 hour to 40 minutes later, he is not bleeding he shows no signs of head bashed in. He does not seem to be in pain. The police who where there need to be asked and investigation needs to be done. Does not matter if Trayvon had skittles and tea at the time fact he had them and not a weapon? But it does matter that Zimmerman had and used a gun. Facts are important and need to be collected now. It was a botched police or prosecution effort? The people need to know where to go and tell their story if it be federal I cannot say. I just think at this point local is not where to go.

March 29, 2012 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
    • John

@ Scottish.. your dog wont hunt

March 29, 2012 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

NO proof Zimmerman was beaten or has a broken nose. NONE.

March 29, 2012 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

@John is your last name Cra-pper, because that is where your replies belong.

March 29, 2012 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Sofa King

What do you need as proof that he was beaten?

The police reports by two officers on the scene aren't enough?
      The EMS on the scene who said they gave first aid aren't enough?
      The hospital he went to the next morning isn't enough?
      The eyewitness who called 911 when he saw the beating and heard Zimmerman screaming for help isn't enough?

I don't mind arguing with people as long as they know what they are talking about. You have some homework to do Scottish Mama. Go do it, before commenting again. I won't respond to you again until you've done it.

March 29, 2012 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

@Paco -at a loss for some real words? I always feel that when a person goes rude, crude or is at a loss for anything intelligent to say they say mean, ignorant or stupid things, like you just did. Have a nice day, with nothing to say.

March 29, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  2. John

If its brown....flush it down

Arrest spike lee now

March 29, 2012 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  3. Scottish Mama

If it is crowism, prejudice or slants,
    they will ususally play with fire, and John will wet his pants.

March 29, 2012 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  4. ?

I don't get it....blacks kill blacks EVERYDAY....drive bys, drug deals gone bad etc etc. Where is the outrage???? No, this is totally about race. Get over it already. Nobody gives a sh!t.

March 29, 2012 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

I thought it was an outrage of no justice. And a law where the one that lives can call self defense.

March 29, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  5. chrissy

And isnt zimmermans father a retired judge? There you have it, there will be no justice! No matter what color or race! And....Zimmerman was specifically told by 9ll to STOP following the kid! He was on a mission from hell, plain and simple!

March 29, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • ?

Chrissy, get a grip. You have no idea what actually happened. Just speculating like the rest of the idiots.

March 29, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  6. chrissy

Also @ sofa, witnesses heard *someone* hollering for help, but NONE of those witnesses could say WHO they heard. Maybe you need to get your facts straight!

March 29, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

Hi chrissy. Don't just depend on CNN for news. In this case, their reporting in one-sided.

I was trying to find the Orlando Sentinel article in which the first 911 caller (after GZ, I mean) told the paper that he was "absolutely certain" that he saw Zimmerman was on the bottom, being beaten, screaming for help. So there is your ONE witness. I could not find it on the Sentinel website today, but I'm sure I read it a few days ago, and the following link discusses it as point 12. The other points are worth reading as well.

March 29, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  7. A new life

Better get Zimmerman a new name, and send him to live somewhere else. He is in danger. The mob has spoken.

March 29, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

Mobs are damn scary.

March 29, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  8. John

I heard zimmermam yelling for help. I did. That's what i believe I heard.

March 29, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  9. ronvan

I must be on another planet! Have you seen the latest video of Zimmerman in cuffs at the police station? SHOW me the broken nose and where his head was beaten against the pavement?!! NONE! NOTHING! NADA! And a comment was even made that police wear their protective gloves if blood is involved., NONE, NOTHING, NADA!! YES, a father will stand up for his family. HOWEVER, he was not there, and as I understand it is repeating what his son told him!
    This is not over and is going to get very interesting.

March 29, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • skc

Police would have taken picture of the so called "injuries" for their report would they not...

March 29, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Their camera was broken ... lol

March 29, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

Now, you realize don't you, that you are saying the police officers are lying, the paramedics are lying, the hospital staff are lying, and the 911 caller who actually witnessed the beating is lying as well – based on a few seconds of a grainy security video? OK.......

March 29, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  10. BOMBO ©

Riddle me this batman. What does a broken nose look like after the ambulance guys have cleaned it up? Unless you doubters know, you have nothing important to say.

I have seen broken noses, (football and hockey injuries) before and after treatment. Blood initially, but once you stop the bleeding and wash up, just swelling. Later, bruising, but not right away. I don't know how big the man's nose is supposed to be, and neither do you. Unless you know what George Zimmerman's nose looked like before being broken, how can you say "he doesn't look like his nose is broken in the video"?

March 29, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

@bombo: i could see no blood, on either his shirt or jacket. head wounds, including broken noses, bleed quite a bit. and, at least around here, cops don't run you by the house to change clothes before you get to the pd. the video wasn't that bad. cases have been tried based on worse video. and head wounds, particularly slammed against the concrete repeatedly, go to the hospital for observation in my experience. there's too much liability for the ambulance to just let them go.. if he'd died in his sleep that night from an aneurism or something, emsa would have been responsible.

every day, 'evidence' comes out that counters the 'evidence' from the day before.

@everyone: i'm done debating this, because i simply have no clue what really happened. y'all can keep blathering on without knowing anything all you want, i'm through. until after the trial i hope will happen.

March 29, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I e had my nose broken twice.
      I KNOW.
      Not one drop of blood on his clothes? Really?
      And this is visual evidence from the police themselves....
      Neither of these two gentlemen are the saints their families are portraying them to be, but something doesn't pass the smell test, and it starts with the video at the police station...

I am with you, leeintulsa.
      I'm done with this subject.

March 29, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • High Hopes

Lee:

I'm right behind you. Arguing with ignorant racists is like rolling in the mud with pigs, you're bound to get dirty. My mama used to tell me not to waste my breath on deaf ears, hold my chin high and walk tall.

Blessings to the Martin Family,
      Hope

March 29, 2012 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  11. bobcat (in a hat) ©

Mr. Zimmerman and son,
    It is really good that you have had so much time to rehea rse your story about what happened that night. It may come in handy if you ever get a court date, which by the way I think you should. And kudos to you Mr. Zimmerman, the elder, for your obvious psychic powers. Without those psychic abilities there is no way you could have expressed word for word, the actions of that night. Maybe now you might want to try to conjure up the winning numbers for that mega=millions jackpot.

March 29, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  12. High Hopes

There was a witness who said they were on the sidewalk with Trayvon on top and the witness said he was going to go to his apartment (upstairs) to call 911 – where is the record of the call?

And, how is it that the whining and screaming for help is reported (through 911 calls in the backyard of an apartment (not on the sidewalk) but where if Zimmerman hadn't been shining his flashlight on and around the victim, the resident would not have seen him?

March 29, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bubba™

Yup, trayvon on top beating the heck out of zimmean. Until he has to be shot to stop the attack. Standard police protocol.

Only one shot to stop the threat. Unfortunately it was fatal. One shot is not always fatal.

Mabe the EMT was too busy treating zimmeans nose before trying to save the other guys life??

March 29, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bubba™

Where are these alleged skittles? Did the police take them into evidence?? What about the ice tea? If not, then they don't exist.

If they had the skittles and the hoodie that would prove everything. lol

March 29, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  13. chrissy

@ BOMBO, i havent been on here for days, so no i dont rely on cnn for my news! Nor do i rely on racist people. I do however watch national news on tv! And ty @ ronvon, a voice of reason! That kid was unarmed, skittles dont count!

March 29, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  14. chrissy

@ BOMBO, i wasnt implying that you were racist, just so you know. And if it were the average person, an arrest wouldve been made already. By not following procedures the police are making zimmerman look guilty to most ppl speculating @ ?.

March 29, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |