“Never tell me the odds.”
– Han Solo in "The Empire Strikes Back"
Look. We know that you're aware the odds of winning Friday night’s record-breaking $640 million Mega Millions jackpot, or any Mega Millions jackpot, are astronomical.
We also know that for the people who win it, the odds matter not one bit. Someone is going to win at least a share of the prize – if not Friday, then in some subsequent drawing. But since we’re covering the historic jackpot and showing people in long lines giddily talking about how many cars or yachts or Dippin' Dots they’d buy if they win, we feel compelled to remind you:
It’s not going to be you.
The odds of a ticket winning a Mega Millions jackpot is 175,711,536 to 1. As Han Solo’s talkative robotic friend would tell you, you have a much, much better chance (1 in 3,720!) of navigating an asteroid field successfully. We didn’t exactly vet that, but you know you’d smash your ship into the rocks. And who are we to question protocol droids fluent in more than 6 million forms of communication?
To hammer home the point, here are a few other unlikely scenarios that, we’re sorry to say, are far more likely than you taking home a jackpot.
From the Harvard School of Public Health:
– Chances of dying from a bee sting: 1 in 6.1 million. Chance you will win the Mega Millions jackpot: 1 in 175.7 million.
– Chance you will be die from being struck by lightning: 1 in 3 million. Chance you will win the Mega Millions jackpot: 1 in 175.7 million.
From the University of Maryland Medical Center:
– Chance of having conjoined twins: 1 in 200,000. Chance you will win the Mega Millions jackpot: 1 in 175.7 million.
From U.S. Hole in One, which insures golf prizes for holes in one:
– The chance of an amateur golfer making a hole in one on a par-3 hole is about 1 in 12,500. Chance you will win the Mega Millions jackpot: 1 in 175.7 million.
– The chance of a golfer hitting a hole in one on consecutive par-3 holes: 1 in about 156 million. Chance you will win the Mega Millions jackpot: 1 in 175.7 million.
From a 2011 State Farm study on collisions between vehicles and deer:
– The chance of hitting a deer with a vehicle in Hawaii, the state where State Farm says deer-vehicle collisions are least likely, is 1 in 6,267. Chance you will win the Mega Millions jackpot: 1 in 175.7 million.
From the National Weather Service:
– The chance of being struck by lightning over an 80-year lifetime: 1 in 10,000. Chance you will win the Mega Millions jackpot: 1 in 175.7 million.
From the Florida Museum of Natural History, based on U.S. beach injury statistics in 2000:
– Chance of drowning and other beach-related fatalites: 1 in 2 million. Chance you will win the Mega Millions jackpot: 1 in 175.7 million.
– Chance of being attacked by a shark: 1 in 11.5 million. Chance you will win the Mega Millions jackpot: 1 in 175.7 million.
What are the odds you will win? Weigh in below, or on Twitter using #whataretheodds.
It would be so funny if someone who read this article won. Then they could say hey it was me. Everybody knows the odds are astronomical and that if youre going to buy lottery tickets you might as well set a pile of money on fire. But who are these people to say you cant have a dream for a dollar. I would like to mention that most people who buy lottery tickets are in trouble financially and I dont see that the persons of CNN are looking malnourished or poorly clothed. Have a great day Dream-Killers.
Why kill our hope? We all know it's impossible but let us dream of the what if's!!!! CNN always has to rain on the parade...
Yes why kill the hope of people who are being blatantly fleeced out of their hard earned money so some random person that probably doesn't deserve it can get rich.
Only poor stupid blacks play this jiggaboo crap
odds that i sit here and read through allllll the hilarious comments....1 in 1........cuz have been lmao for the last 15 minutes......
50 50 chance. Either I win or I dont
stipman, I don't think you understand probability very well. Your statement is SO incorrect, lol.
LOL, you wish it was a 50-50 chance. right guy
If you don't play you have no chance and 1:175 million is better than 0:175, so what is this idiot stating? Even if no one bought a ticket except this guy then he probably wouldn't win then either. We got it! It's a game of chance! We know! Yet, someONE will eventually win the jackpot! It's like this pessimist just cursed anyone's wishes to win. Let people dream and maybe ONE or TWO of those dreamers' dream will come true. HOW DARE YOU!!!?
Simmer down, now.
Isn't the fact that I am here on planet earth lower odds than winning the lotto? Who says I can't be lucky again?
Cris, I agree. Some of these are good. I like the wedding dress/Tebow one :)
Math Teacher your missing a couple of 0's.....hope you don't really teach math....
can you imagine how giant it would become if no body hits the jackpot tonite? A billion maybe?
world population, 6,840,507,003.
30% of the world has internet access, or, 2,052,152,101.
Odds of a person to read this article (approx 30% of population with internet access) or 615,645,630 in 2,052,152,101.
Odds that a person who read this article plays the mega millions (75% of the people who read this article) or 461,734,222 in 615,645,630
Odds that a person who read this article AND played the mega millions wins (assume 99.745% of people have unique picks), 460,556,800 in 175.7 million
Odds that CNN lies by stating "You (the reader) will not win the MEGA Millions Jackpot" is 2.63 in 1, or 263%
Numbers don't lie...CNN is lying to you
You should only county people who live in states that do the lottery that have internet access. Somebody in Ireland can't win the lotto.
Why do you want to take away my hope and dreams?
Stop harshing my mellow.
Here in Illinois, the Lotto used to play commercials, "someone's gotta Lotta, may as well be you!".
Sure, I won't win the lottery but are the odds any worse that that of my boss giving me a decent raise?
This blog – This Just In – will no longer be updated. Looking for the freshest news from CNN? Go to our ever-popular CNN.com homepage on your desktop or your mobile device, and join the party at @cnnbrk, the world's most-followed account for news.