March 31st, 2012

Clashes erupt in Syria despite demands for cease-fire

The Syrian military clashed with defectors in the capital of Damascus on Saturday as regime forces bombarded other towns with heavy gunfire despite the United Nations' call for a cease-fire, opposition activists said.

Gunfire between both sides erupted in the Homs neighborhoods of Baba Amr and Jouret Al-Arayes, the opposition Local Coordination Committees of Syria said. Early-morning shelling also targeted other various areas in Daraa, Idlib, Hama and the Damascus countryside, opposition activists said.

The latest violence comes after a U.N. special envoy ordered President Bashar al-Assad to implement a peace plan and not await concessions from the opposition.

"The government must stop first and then discuss a cessation of hostilities with the other side and with the mediator," Ahmad Fawzi, a spokesman for special envoy Kofi Annan said Friday. "We expect him to implement this plan immediately."

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Arab Spring • Syria • World
  1. Sheryl ©™

chrissy...pssssst–
    Take Patrick up on his offer. He can really cook.

April 1, 2012 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
    • patrick ©

Thank you, Sheryl, I don't Believe I've had the pleasure of meeting you.

April 2, 2012 at 1:24 am | Report abuse |
  2. - Chef Ramsey

... Men can't cook, whatever are you thinking?

April 1, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • I Gotta Agree.....

...to disagree, Chef. Aintcha a man?

April 1, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • patrick ©

Hello Gordon, You are correct that you can't cook. You're a sell out and I am not...

April 2, 2012 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  3. FREE MP4/3GP VIDEOS FOR FREE, 4 ADULT ONLY

syria on fire

April 1, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Superman

@@@leeintulsa not me @12:21 thats a troll for sure read my entry above that further back i pretty much checked out before 12:21

April 1, 2012 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  5. chrissy

@ chef, i didnt say they cant cook, i said ive never had one cook for me EXCEPT in a restaurant! And @ sheryl, thanks lol, and yep ive been told he can.

April 2, 2012 at 1:31 am | Report abuse |
  6. chrissy

lmao @ patrick, im assuming that is a chopping gadget? I learned how to cook very young and alot of that was thanks to my dad! He was an experimental kinda cook! Lmao,that is not always a good thing btw! Lmao! And ty youre right, they havent been worthy!

April 2, 2012 at 1:42 am | Report abuse |
    • patrick ©

@chrissy, they come in a variety of sizes and they literally do a lot of the prep work for you. I don't care much for it because I cook by feel. At least your dad made the effort. I want my children to always remember that I cooked for them from a place of love.

April 2, 2012 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
  7. chrissy

Lol @ patrick, my dad was a hard knocks kinda guy! He quit school in the 8th grade to support his grandma and he worked 2 jobs always thru my growing up years! He taught me lots, i didnt realize just how much til he passed away 6 months ago.

April 2, 2012 at 1:56 am | Report abuse |
    • patrick ©

@chrissy, I am truly sorry for your loss. It is true that after a parent passes, that you understand them even more. My father has been gone for over 10 years and I only get him of late. He insisted I go to college and I was rebelious but I caved in. My love was always about cooking and sharing the celebration of family around the table. So now that I am officially an old man, the college studies might enter into the fray.

April 2, 2012 at 2:06 am | Report abuse |
  8. chrissy

@ patrick, you and dazzle have done a wonderful job with tori, im quite positive she feels the love. And shes a great person. Its been nice chatting with you but im gonna call it a day. Have a very good night.

April 2, 2012 at 2:08 am | Report abuse |
    • patrick ©

@chrissy, thank you for that. My daughters mom deserves all of the credit. Good Night

April 2, 2012 at 2:12 am | Report abuse |
  9. chrissy

lol you arent old yet, im old! And youre right, im still learning things about him that i never knew!

April 2, 2012 at 2:13 am | Report abuse |
  10. chrissy

Ok i know thats not entirely true. Lmao, good night tho.

April 2, 2012 at 2:18 am | Report abuse |
  11. basket nike

A honest acquaintance is one who else overlooks your own deficiencies along with can handle your own positive results.
    basket nike http://www.nikerequin2013.com/