March 31st, 2012

Numbers announced in record Mega Millions jackpot

Lottery players across the country scrambled to check their tickets late Friday to see if they could be $640 million richer.
The winning numbers in the Mega Millions lottery Friday night were 2 4 23 38 46, with a Mega Ball of 23.

If there is no winner from Friday, the jackpot would increase to an estimated $975 million, said Athena Hernandez of the D.C. lottery. That drawing would occur Tuesday.

The multistate jackpot has grown to become the largest ever offered that could be won by an individual. It has caused long lines at convenience stores and has many dreaming of creative ways to quit their jobs if they get the lucky numbers.

"Friday night's Mega Millions drawing will truly be a spectacular event in lottery history and provides an unprecedented opportunity for players to take a chance on a half-billion-dollar dream for just the $1 price of a ticket," Gary Grief, executive director of the Texas Lottery and lead director for the Mega Millions group, said before the drawing.
Sales have skyrocketed at Manhattan Tobacco, a New York convenience store, cashier Alex Shanahe said. He said the store has proved to be lucky before, having sold winning tickets of $3 million and $5 million.

"The sales have tripled. Everybody wants to win the Mega Millions," Shanahe said.

mega millions

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: U.S.
  1. bobcat (in a hat) ©

The numbers are out but no mention if their was anyone, anywhere that got the winning combo.

March 31, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • leeintulsa

i heard there were 3. one in atlanta, one in bf, illinois, and another i can't remember where..

March 31, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

I think the third one was in Maryland.

March 31, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  2. bobcat (in a hat) ©

My bad. I just went to the main page and saw where three tickets won. Congrats to all.
    Respond to me here, and I'll jet you know where to send my share.

March 31, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. banasy©

Curses.
    Foiled again.
    Back to work Monday, lol.

March 31, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. CenTexan©

Dang, I just KNEW I had the winning numbers...
    Hi Banasy! Yes, I have to go back to work as well. Was hoping not to have to do that lol!

March 31, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. banasy©

Hi, CenTexan©!
    Well, sometimes a dream turns into reality, and sometimes it doesn't.
    What the hey.
    It's fun to dream!

March 31, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. bmurray999

What would you do if you won the dough?

March 31, 2012 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Sheryl ©™

Silly me!
    I had all of my clients pay me last week in lottery tickets. I was sure that one of them would win and I'd be able to buy Joey his dream car.
    Never again.
    I had to buy a baked chicken at the grocery store and eat at home tonight.

March 31, 2012 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • banasy©

Sheryl, darling, could you be a dear and ask Joey if he posted on the Syria thread in reply to Resident?

March 31, 2012 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mary

Donna, you should get some help. You're getting paranoid

March 31, 2012 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • banasy©

Dearest Jazzzzzzz:
      I am asking Sheryl/JIF a question.
      Why are you answering it, when the question wasn't directed to you?

March 31, 2012 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

I'm sorry, Donna.

March 31, 2012 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

What, do the trolls just hang in their web, waiting to pounce?
      Because I highly doubt that was Mary at all, let alone apologizing to me!

March 31, 2012 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

@ Sheryl:
    I told you so.
    If you hadn't blown your money on lottery tickets, you could have bought me the car with what you turn over in a week.
    Enjoy your chicken and potato salad.

March 31, 2012 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. chrissy

lmao @ banasy, for real! Even i got a laugh outta that!

March 31, 2012 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • banasy©

@chrissy:
      Ik, r?

March 31, 2012 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  11. leeintulsa

@banasy: there's a section at the right, i'm sure you know, that i use to find out where everyone is sometimes. the recent comments. the trolls obviously have faves, and they probably watch that to see when and where they post..

March 31, 2012 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • banasy©

I know...but dayum, it gets annoying!
      Oh, by the way, have you ever done your capitalization dance in your kilt?

March 31, 2012 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

@banasy: rofl! no.. maybe if i'd been able to go last year. wasn't blogging the year before..

probably wouldn't blog much anyway at the castle.. not very.. period.. lol

plus, corsets to the left of me, corsets to the right

there i am

stuck in the middle of boobs..

i'm sure i'll get all the mental stimulation i need lol

March 31, 2012 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

@leeintulsa:
      I'm sure you'll tough it out, what with the tavern wenches and all!
      I think Stealer's Wheel would like your version better....lol....

March 31, 2012 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

@banasy: working on getting you a pic. free of charge lol

once, i had a couple of young ladies dressed like tourists want to take a picture with me. of course i let them lol

April 1, 2012 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

@leeintulsa:
      No charge? Most triumphant!
      Will you answer the question on what's worn underneath?
      Is THAT why you have to haul them around in a wheelbarrow?

April 1, 2012 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

@banasy: it should be there. had some issues with yahoo, had to forward what kelly sent me without downloading on my phone.. let me know if you don't get it.

and nothin more than i was blessed with upon me birth ;)

April 1, 2012 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
  12. Sheryl ©™

@ banasy-Donna:
    Joey said that he cannot tell a lie: he did write the 8:36 AM reply about names and–Hope?
    He had to go back and check it...it surprised him that it got that much of a reaction.
    banasy–what on earth are capital letters? Don't tell JIF that I don't know.
    I'm going out to invest in a new red bikini. This one is...soiled.

March 31, 2012 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • banasy©

Well, bless your heart, Sheryl, your secret is safe with me, although I suspect JIF already knows.
      Capital letters are the bigger letters, dear.
      I'm going to trust that you had a rollicking good time soiling you other bikini, although I do not want details.
      Thanks for asking, darling.

March 31, 2012 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Sheryl ©™

banasy,
    You're welcome, I'm sure.

March 31, 2012 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. ron

What!!! What!!! I won!!! I won!!! If you need to borrow money call me!!! My number is $@^&<" ) %.

April 1, 2012 at 6:22 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • It's........BANASY©! Ta Da!

Yeah, right, ron....Lmao!
      You sure as HECK wouldn't be here...

Back to work for me tomorrow.

April 1, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  15. ♔Mmmmm♕

dang! dang! megah-dang...i didn't win the lottery...! :(

April 1, 2012 at 9:02 am | Report abuse | Reply