April 4th, 2012

Dallas mayor: It's a 'miracle' nobody died in tornadoes

Tractor-trailers weighing tens of thousands of pounds flew through the air. Roofs were ripped off homes, and other houses were left in complete tatters.

Yet no deaths have been reported after devastating tornadoes worked their way through the Dallas-Forth Worth and Arlington areas of Texas.

"It looks like the Dallas-Fort Worth area really dodged a bullet," Dallas Mayor Michael Rawlings told CNN. "I mean we've got hundreds and hundreds of homes destroyed but amazingly no fatalities."

Between six and 13 tornadoes may have touched down Tuesday in north Texas, the National Weather Service in Dallas-Fort Worth said. The number is an estimate pending a survey and damage assessment.

Rawlings said that as he looked at footage of tractor-trailers tossed about like lightweight toys, he was struck by how lucky it was nobody died.

"(Those) tractor-trailers were put into the back of homes and those homes were flattened," he said. "It was amazing nobody was in that home."

The storms left thousands of people without power and destroyed hundreds of homes.

"We're looking at a miracle here," Rawlings said. "We're looking at something amazing."

In Arlington, three people were taken to a hospital, and at least 150 homes were destroyed, according to Mayor Robert Cluck.

"We've done the primary search," Cluck said. "We feel as though we have everybody now, but they won't give up until they have done all the other searches."

Residents described scenes of horror and devastation as they watched massive twisters head their way. They all spoke of their terror as they saw debris - glass, cars and parts of houses - flying by them.

Rescuers will dig through smashed buildings Wednesday, hunting for possible victims of the tornadoes. But for now, it appears that the area may have been spared in a remarkable way.

"Somehow this whole thing all worked out," Rawlings said.

Post by:
Filed under: Texas • Tornadoes
  1. grist

I am so thankful to God for making the tornados hit during the day time. He planned the tornados to cause terrible destruction but to not kill anyone. What a great and merciful god! Wish he would have done that when he caused the big flood that wiped out mankind except for one family.

April 4, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

grist-Do you really think god plan's this stuff. IT'S MOTHER NATURE GET THAT IN YOUR HEAD......THE WORLD IS NOT PERFECT. i HAVE SAID A FEW TIMES i GUESS PEOPLE LIKE YOU THINK THERE SHOULD NOT BE ANOTHER FIRE,FLOOD,OR ANYTHING ELSE TILL THE END OF TIME....GET A LIFE AND STOP BLAMING GOD.

April 4, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • abbotn

Idiot.

April 4, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fred Quimby

Yes, I'm sure he sent tornados because the construction industry needs more jobs and people need higher insurance premiums.

April 4, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • grist

Mike, yes I was being sarcastic. Sarcasm doesn't always come through in posts here.

April 4, 2012 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Sandino

Grist, why in the world would you think God planned to "cause terrible destruction"? And then call him/her great and merciful? That is just stupid.

April 4, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

It's called sarcasm...

April 4, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • pgauthi

Is your sarcasm detector out of order today?

He's referring to the fact that everything's a "miracle."

If no one dies it's a miracle.

If 10 people die it's a miracle it's not more.

If the whole town is wiped out except the church that's a miracle too.

The real miracle would be no tornadoes. Although turning water to wine would be a very close second if it could be reproduced. Unless it's a chianti or something.

April 4, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kent

Because he was making a joke about how ridiculous the religious are with their silly claims.

April 4, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  3. CenTexan©

@ Banasy, very happy to hear your daughter made it in DFW safely. Seems like when we have tornadoes in Texas, they often development in the DFW area. Going into the airport there can be very frightening during a storm....I've had the misfortune many times. Severe wind shear is a major problem...but I hear they have advance detection systems in place for that now.
    I'm so glad there were no fatalities.

April 4, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Thank you, CenTexan©.
      Admittedly, *I* was much more scared than she was, lol......

You want to know what else is a miracle?
      That my grandaughter is still living...
      That's why God makes 'em cute.

April 4, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

@banasy: lol

April 4, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Superman

They say everything is bigger in texas, but wilder? Good to see the people all pulled through safely

April 4, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Billy Joe Hillbilleh

It's a miracle from god when people survive. But it's all god's plan when they die.

April 4, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  6. jweller

It's not a miracle it's a tribute to the tornado ally states early warning infrastructure and well prepared citizens, with some luck thrown in. Unfortunately, many livelihoods were still devastated.

April 4, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  7. JackWagon

It would only have been a miracle if the tornados had not been here. How did this idiot get elected. There are a lot of people that do not think this is in any way related to a miracle.

April 4, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

@jackwagon: totally off topic, i just wanted to thank you for reminding me of what i think is one of the funniest commercials of all time.

thank you.

ya know what makes me sad? lol

April 4, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

@leeintulsa:
      Please explain, for I can surely use a laugh right now.

April 4, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

geico commercial – would a drill sergeant make a good psychiatrist?

starts off with a dude laying on a couch, saying something makes him sad.

go to the psychiatrist – one of the mil channel stars dressed in fatigues.

'you know what makes me sad? YOU DO! maybe we can chug on over to mamby pamby land, where *maybe* we can find some self confidence for you, ya jackwagon!'

at the end he offers the patient a box of kleenex. 'tissue?' then he throws it at him 'crybaby' lol. i think you can find it on geico's website. i downloaded the audio as a ring tone lol

April 4, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

@leeintulsa:
      Must have missed that one.
      I'll look it up...

Speaking of ringtones, not too long ago, I downloaded "Dude Looks Like A Lady" and designated it for Paul.
      He and I were at our local pub, and I initiated a convo about ringtones....naturally Paul asked if I had one for him.
      I told him yes, and to call it and see what it was.
      He did.
      A lot of prep for a joke, but the place went up for grabs!

And for the humor-challenged, or those who take everything I say WAY too literally, no, my dude doesn't look like a lady.

April 4, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Billy Graham

It was truly a miracle when all the churches in Greensburg,Kansas were destroyed but the bar was left untouched.

April 4, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  9. JackWagon

If the tornados had been EF5 strength and killed hundreds, there would still be people that said "oh, it's a miracle that this one person survived that was in a bathtub that got carried 300 ft into the air.". No it wouldn't be a miracle, it would be the luck of the draw. When 1 person lives thru a plane crash that kills 200 there is always some fool that says that it is a miracle.

April 4, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  10. JackWagon

It is a true miracle that this fool ever got elected.

April 4, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Billy Graham

One should question who the president is. God is in control of everything. He wanted Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot to be in control of their countries. God also sent us Jim Jones.

April 4, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • JM

You really don't seem to grasp the concept of free will and evil. When you do/say something evil, I assume you automatically say "God made me do it". Foolish

April 4, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

One should question why you mentioned any of those people.

April 4, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Lana K

This is a Miracle! The human brain cannot comprehend God. His thoughts are higher then our thoughts. What he does and his works are not understandable to us; why he let it happen millions of dollers in damages. Maybe to show that the materialistic things dont matter, the earth and all the works on it will burn in the end. Dont try to comprehend God,Read revelations, pray for mercy, trust that God has a plan for everyone. natural disasters such as this are comming.

April 4, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

"Well said Lana" First thing people what to do is blame god when things happen. People need to understand the world is not perfect. God does not plan these it's life.

April 4, 2012 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  13. banasy©

*Sigh*
    I hate weather, for a plethora of reasons....

April 4, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Oh how lovely

I personally do not believe in god. But I would never try to belittle people who do. It's quite incensitive to do so. I grew up in a strict catholic home. I found it wasn't for me. But I think it's quite lovely for people it is for. I don't care if you believe in the devil as long as you don't hurt others. Please people you don't have to believe in god, but please don't be rude to the people who do.

April 4, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Oh how lovely

That said, although I don't believe in god. I have seen miracles. What they are from, I know not.

April 4, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |