Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout gets 25-year sentence
The life of Viktor Bout is considered to have inspired the 2005 Nicolas Cage movie "Lord of War."
April 5th, 2012

Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout gets 25-year sentence

Convicted Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout was sentenced Thursday to 25 years behind bars by a federal court in New York.

"I am not guilty," Bout said through a translator. "I never intended to kill anyone. I never intended to sell any arms to anyone. God knows this is the truth."

Last year Bout, who's been dubbed "the merchant of death" by his accusers, was convicted on four counts of conspiracy to kill Americans, acquire and export anti-aircraft missiles and provide material support to a terrorist organization.

He had faced the possibility of life in prison.

FULL STORY
Post by: ,
Filed under: Courts • Crime • Justice • New York • Uncategorized
  1. next

I can understand Russia, competing against US- but chilling if it is true- is Russia helping anti-US terrorists- with the Russian Government taking this position- kind of an eye opener. I think the issue of terrorism US and Russia- are allies. Hopefully this is just alot of noise, not an indication of any, behind the scene facts.

April 6, 2012 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

@next: just because an arms dealer is from russia, it doesn't mean he's working for the government.

the government doesn't need an arms dealer to sell guns for them.

April 6, 2012 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

Yeah, ya got me with the 12:16 post.
    I guess I was tired.
    You got me with that one.
    Congrats, Buffalo Bill!
    Guess I'm off my game....

April 6, 2012 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

I think that the evil and greed of some people know no nationality......

April 6, 2012 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  4. jessicawritesnow

I'm sure this has to be related. Nicholas Cage when he still acted well. And also acted well in very good parts. He played an arms dealer in "Lord of War". He (this arms dealer) was thus named Lord of War by African King who mixed this phrase up with "Warlord". In the movie, Cage's role sold to everyone in Africa–he never took a side. If he did it was yours, and what in the name and number of weapons would you have? At the end of the movie–big business freed his ass after every secret op tried to arrest it.

April 6, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |