April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. George

,I guess we are no longer able to speak free in America

April 10, 2012 at 11:05 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • charleyliberaldog

Amen!

April 10, 2012 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
    • LC253

Notice how he didn't goto jail.....It's the baseball team that suspended him... I cant stand reading through these comments... move to Canada or something

April 10, 2012 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Dynatherapy

Free speech doesn't mean "without consequences." It's funny how people like you think you can say whatever you want, but when other people exercise the same right in opposition to your "free speech", you go cry behind your "rights". Rights are not without responsibility.

April 10, 2012 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  2. gunsnfknroses

Welcome to democracy, where majority rules. There's no "fair", or "liberty" when it comes to democracy. Lynch mob rules.

April 10, 2012 at 11:05 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • James

STFU. Nobody is making you stay in a democracy. If you hate it so much then leave and go to some a@n.l stuffing Arab dictatorship. Yeah, democracy gives you that freedom at least.

April 10, 2012 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  3. sbp

Do any of you morons screaming "free speech" even bother to READ the posts explaning why it's not an issue?

April 10, 2012 at 11:05 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. FParana

How ridiculous. I want to be able to buy Havana Club rum without comitting a crime. How many groups with foreign agendas do we need running US politics? Especially in Florida – Cubans voting anti-Castro interests, and jews voting Israeli interests.

April 10, 2012 at 11:05 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Retired Floridian

The Marlin organization is a disgusting, pandering bunch of neo-Facsists. This is AMERICA and FREEDOM OF SPEECH PREVAILS or is supposed to! That includes political speech of any and all kinds. It seems the Marlins organization would much happier if they relocated to CUBA where the kind of crap they are pulling would be OK, right?!?! They are showing bias, total intolerance, dismissing freedom of speech, and making U.S. Cubans look like a–holes if they do not speak out against this gross unfairness.

April 10, 2012 at 11:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. bill

I can't believe he wasn't fired for that!

April 10, 2012 at 11:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Drew

I'm sorry for slavery, the 1%, those Germans (the bad ones), mean people, mean girls! and wheat bread that tastes like cardboard. Hey, this is the generation where we're sorry for everything!

April 10, 2012 at 11:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. BD

Castro manages to limit free speech in America – a victory comrades!

April 10, 2012 at 11:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. TravisE

Seriously, you CNN commentators need to educate yourselves. This has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FIRST AMENDMENT. The government of this great country has IN NO WAY impaired or inhibited his right of free speech.

April 10, 2012 at 11:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Borealbob

This is insanity. I would sue the Marlins for millions– he has freedom of speech and is harming no one by his exercising of it. Castro is a thug BUT indeed he is one of the most remarkable figures of the past century. Like it or not. This political correctness bull-s**t is destroying this country.

April 10, 2012 at 11:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. tostonesfix

>>Thanks liberals (ironic, since the commies are your heroes).

This comment wins the "Not intended to be ironic but is because it is so moronic" award.

Ummm....it was a conservative mentality that lead to this, not a liberal one.

April 10, 2012 at 11:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. woops

well free speach just went right out the window.

April 10, 2012 at 11:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. POD

And like Batista and his corporate, plutocratic, gangster friends were soooooooo much better for the Cuban people.....am I the only one that saw The Godfather Part II

April 10, 2012 at 11:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. lindy556

Guillen will sit out five games after saying he respected Fidel Castro's 60-year rule over Cuba
    ---–
    What happened to free speech?

April 10, 2012 at 11:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. sbp

Borealbob: so go and call your boss an idiot, and after he fires you, SUE HIM FOR MILLIONS.

And be LAUGHED out of court. Moron.

April 10, 2012 at 11:07 am | Report abuse | Reply