April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. sparky

What happened to freedom of speach. He has the right to say what he wants. I'm sure he is not the only one in South Florida who admires Fidel.

April 10, 2012 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  2. Will

LONG LIVE FIDEL CASTRO!

Ship all the WHINY CUBANS in Miami BACK!!!

April 10, 2012 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Jack Cubano

Yep ship the Cubans back to Cuba to get a taste of Castro y arroz con chuleta.

April 10, 2012 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
    • $$$

Mmmm... I love me some aroz con chuleta. Do they deliver?

April 10, 2012 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
    • i love miami

Miami is what it is because of the cubans...Everybody loves Miami not some red neck trailer trash city....Lets ship back from the hole you came from..

April 10, 2012 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
    • ray

this is our city willy baby. We keep watch we always will young old......feel the power of this still fully operational battlestation the cuban exile community. Today you white moderates.....

got a huge taiste of it right up the middle....

Dont F with us again....!!....

lesson for today...

carry on

April 10, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  3. ivan

Did we toss the 1st Amendment out today?

April 10, 2012 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Scott

That was the first thing I thought as well.
      You don't have to like Castro but staying in power so long is pretty impressive regardless of what he did durning that time.
      Political Correctness has got to go!

April 10, 2012 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
    • $$$

Yes it was thrown out with the ceremonial first pitch.

April 10, 2012 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
    • captain obvious

Marlins are a private company dummy.

April 10, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • mark

no, we didn't toss it out. that's because the Marlins aren't the government. first amendment doesnt have anything to do with companies like baseball teams just the govt.

April 10, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. blah9999

Nothing wrong with respecting your enemy.

April 10, 2012 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  5. Colin in Florida

Apparently, the Marlins owners have never heard of the First Amendment, or are they are like Castro, and just don't give a hot about an individual's rights-just money.

April 10, 2012 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Mars

Please do some research on the 1st Amendment, Ozzie has the right to speak and not be jailed for his views. Last I checked Ozzie was a free man but his poor choice of words have landed him in hot water again. When you speak your mind you should be ready to deal with the consequences because not everyone will agree with you. Foot-N-Mouth is a terminal disease for Ozzie.

April 10, 2012 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Political Man

Apparently you don't understand the first amendment which is a limit on GOVERNMENT limiting free speech. The Marlins have a right to say terminate Guillen if they so choose. And I've got no ax to grind with Guillen, I like the man. If he says he's sorry and that things came out not as he meant it, I believe him. He's a straight shooter. What if Guillen had say he respects the BTK killer because people have been trying to catch him for a long time and the SOB is still out there? Or that he respected Hitler because he survived several assassination attempts? You don't think the Marlins could terminate Guillen on the grounds that he doesn't represent their values? Ridiculous.

April 10, 2012 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
    • dermot

Political man: Personally, I'd rather go to jail for a day or two for expressing my beliefs against the govt, vs. losing my job for expressing beliefs my employer doesn't like. The problem with people like you is that your hair-splitting does not take into account how wholly reliant Americans are on private corps, from our jobs, the media, our cellphones, private schools...after a while free speech is a moot topic b/c if private corps can limit us, then we can't say anything anyway.

April 10, 2012 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  6. social network

Wow...so much for speaking your mind and perhaps having a bit of an issue with alcohol. I hope he takes this up with his union rep.

April 10, 2012 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  7. David

It is called freedom of speech. he shouldn't apologize. He is free to decide who he respects, likes or admires. The fact that Cubans in Miami hate Castro doesn't mean everyone has to dislike him. Yes he is a terrible dictator but aren't the Cubans doing the same now, expecting EVERYONE to hate Castro. I can care less for Castor, he is a jerk.

April 10, 2012 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Jack Cubano

IIt seems that there is no free speech, the Cubans decide what you can and cannot say.

April 10, 2012 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
    • i love miami

your wrong what his trying to do is win the fans back. Miami is 95% cubans if they don't like him his biscally out of a job. Any company would do the same. I'm cuban born and raised in Miami and I can care less what he says but I won't spend another dime on the marlins while that animal is working there.

April 10, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • sam

Free speech has nothing to do with it. Marlins are a private company. Free speech protects us from our government not private individuals/companies.

April 10, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Reality

I don't think it will pass in Miami. the Marlins will eventually have part ways with him.

April 10, 2012 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  9. Mavent

Welcome to America, the Land of the Free.

April 10, 2012 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  10. Kevin

You're suspending him for his own political opinion?

..Wow..

April 10, 2012 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
    • $$$

Uhh...wait a minute...let me see.....Yep, that's right!

April 10, 2012 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  11. Right Knight

Freedom of speech is rapidly becoming a thing of the past. Sure, it was a stupid remark, but given Ozzie's typical mindset, what else can you expect from him?

April 10, 2012 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  12. Eff the Koobans

Chalk another one up for the MIAMI CUBAN MAFIA, haters of free speech.

April 10, 2012 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  13. Travis

What ever happened to Freedom of speech. It may not have been appropriate or something people like to hear (including me), but I think it is a crime to punish someone over an opinion.

April 10, 2012 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
    • i love miami

Not if your company is going to lose lots of money....Yes you can say whatever you want but your the front face for a company you really need to be careful on how you say things.

April 10, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  14. guest

stupid overreaction. This should not have been an issue.

April 10, 2012 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
    • drewrey88

You must be Canadian.

April 10, 2012 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  15. Enrique

The Cubans that came to Miami from Cuba are a bunch of fascists, stooges, and criminals who resented the fact that Castro overthrew the brutal fascist muppet Batista.

Remember a few years ago when they were burning American flags because the US sent Elian Gonzalez to live with his father? That sums it up - they have no loyalty to Cuba, they have no loyalty to the US, they only have loyalty to themselves.

April 10, 2012 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Long Live the People's Revolution

Miami Cuban Mafia is the most corrupt banana republic regime in the US.

April 10, 2012 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |