April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. Commonsense

Damn our country is in serious trouble when a man can not express what he really thinks. I like Castro myself. "He aint never called me Ni–er".

April 10, 2012 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Todd

No...Instead he would dig a hole behind that you would conveniently fall into after he shot you in your face.

April 10, 2012 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
    • East of Eden

:-)

April 10, 2012 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Tony Bartlett

Believe it or not being called the N word is not the worst thing that could ever happen to you. Compared to being a slave or living in a country with no freedom or opprotunity is much worse. I'll take being called any name vs. being a slave or living in Cuba. Doubt me? Try living in Cuba for a while. You'll be dying to get back here and here some a hole call you the N word.

April 10, 2012 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
    • G.T.

Hey Commonsense, just remember this, common sense are not common in America anymore, people jump any bandwagon they can find, without using any sense at all! Freedom of Speech is not free anymore!

April 10, 2012 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  2. James PDX

As far as I can tell, he didn't even say he admired Castro as a person. He called him an SOB and said he admired that he was able to stay in power for 6 decades. Where's the harm? Doesn't exist. Everyone has to be so damn PC these days that the PC police won't even allow you to speak your opinions openly without trying to destroy your life and livelihood. The real bad guys are those trying to cause harm to another person just because they disagree with his opinion.

April 10, 2012 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
    • desparado

Admire? Respect? You've got to be kidding me! There is NOTHING to respect or admire about Castro. Of course Guillen has the right to speak his mind unlike the people of Cuba who has suffered under Castro's rule. A stupid remark made by a stupid person.

April 10, 2012 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  3. the_dude

Miami Marlins??? What a stupid name for a baseball team.

April 10, 2012 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  4. Joe

I kind of agree with Ozzie. Castro has done nothing wrong in my lifetime, his country is not much worse off than the USA.

April 10, 2012 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  5. Timmy

count me in on the freedom of speech stance!!! You can hang me if you want !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 10, 2012 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  6. sepultura13

Gee – where are the people screeching about his 'Freedom of Speech' rights? Oh, wait, that's right...he isn't a white celebrity spouting something racist! I almost forgot about the selective outrage that's always applied to occurrences like these.
    Carry on...

April 10, 2012 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  7. Andrew

Yes, Fidel is a dbag, but don't join him by suspending Guillen. Oh, look, now you're REPRESSING FREE SPEECH! Congratulations! See how easy that was?

April 10, 2012 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  8. Jim

I'm really glad I live in a FREE country where I don't have to hear someone say something i don't like without him getting punished. Just like Russia, China and Cuba. Good ol' USA.

April 10, 2012 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
    • desparado

You will get more than just a suspension if you lived in Cuba... or China... or Russia. Yes, be glad you live in the good 'ol USA.

April 10, 2012 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  9. be Wildered

yet another reason my family does not watch sports, let politics lie in the gutter where it was born.

April 10, 2012 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  10. Rob

The man's 100% right. He should have received a bonus! Sometimes, Americans are totally lost!

April 10, 2012 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  11. genebrady

A republican, Grassley, called the President of the United States, "stupid"!!!! Why isn't HE suspended? THAT would actually be a GOOD thing!!

April 10, 2012 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  12. Michelle

Why are so many people saying that his freedom of speech was violated? Did he get arrested or killed for his comments? If he was in Cuba and he made a pro USA comment at the very least he would have been detained. Guillen has a right to say whatever he wants, he also has to face consequences for his comments...people who disagree with him also have a right to voice how they feel. I have heard his apology and I think he is ashamed and embarrassed. In my opinion, this is freedom of speech at it's best. People can't just say whatever they want and not expect those listening to have the same right to express their views.

April 10, 2012 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  13. DL

I think Ozzie was contrite and to the point in his apology. Declaring his sincere interest in helping both the Latin and Miami community was a huge plus for his press conference.
    I accept his sincerety. It's a rarity these days in sports to see someone admit publically he made a mistake and ask for a second chance.
    But Ozzie knows he's got to watch his tongue from now on. He can't keep sounding off and creating controversy particularly on sensitive issues in Miami, and that's probably where I differ from the folks here talking about freedom of speech and so forth.
    Hopefully Ozzie will stick to baseball. If Ozzie wants to talk politics he should run for office.

April 10, 2012 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  14. fairwinds

So much for freedom of speech and the first amendment. This is ridiculous. It was a joke – maybe not a great one – but a joke either way. the bottom line is that since we don't live under castro, we're allowed to say whatever we please. i think the marlins have forgotten that. they should be penalized themselves.

April 10, 2012 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  15. richard

fascist tyranny...shameful!

April 10, 2012 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
    • lefty avenger

Exactly, Corporate Usa Fascism. Watch what you say, the american moral thought police are out for you.

April 10, 2012 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
    • yuri pelham

Agree. And the 60 year boycott of Cuba has been a total failure. It's insane to continue that policy. Open up Cuba to American influence and they'll be corrupted forever. It's called killing with kindness.

April 10, 2012 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |