April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. Paul

I'm sorry. I thought this was America, land of the free, where one could express an opinion without fear of retribution and reprisal. If stupidity is a crime, we're all in trouble ...

April 10, 2012 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Randy S.

no you can say what you like then others are allowed via NOT GOING TO GAMES OOPS. To say what they like.

April 10, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  2. Jeffbaseball

I know about the racist Cubans because I lived down there.

April 10, 2012 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  3. Menthu

Send him back to Cuba and he can love Castro all he wants.

April 10, 2012 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Randy S.

How do you send someone back to where they aren't from?

April 10, 2012 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  4. Derrick

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

Type DerrickDuffie into your web browser to visit my website and learn about my new novel, Unfinished Business.

April 10, 2012 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jimmah

Typical leftist. Lives in the greatest country in the world and praises a leftist regime that is guilty of murdering those who speak out against it. And this Cuban managing a ML baseball team thinks Cuba and its leaders are great? Typical liberal: poorly educated, lacks reasoning, fails to understand world affairs, has no comapssion for others forced to live under communist rule and regularly displays ignorance for all to see.

April 10, 2012 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
    • yuri pelham

If ignorance was good reason to suspend or fire people, you'd be unemployed, jimah

April 10, 2012 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  6. Kim

How very Fidel-Castro of us. Apparently freedom of speech doesn't exist in the US either! Does anyone see the irony in all of this?

April 10, 2012 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  7. Jerry Fritschle

A few others have mentioned this, but it bears repeating that this is NOT a First Amendment issue. The Marlins are a private employer, not the government, and are within their rights to discipline their employee. Guillen is not going to jail, which would be risked by someone making anti-Castro remarks in Cuba. It can be argued whether the Marlins over-reacted–and some may honestly feel they under-reacted, but Guillen's First Amendment rights are intact.

April 10, 2012 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Meicho

Well said Jerry :)

April 10, 2012 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  8. Dale

Freedom speech is a wonderful thing, until political correctness takes it away.

April 10, 2012 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  9. Ward

Ridiculous. The guy has an opinion, big deal. Besides, he didn't say, "Castro is the best dictator Cuba has ever had." He respects the man's survival instincts, that's it.

Since when do we in this country punish those for having an opinion? What's next? Public censure? Scary.

April 10, 2012 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  10. Meicho

IIs this guy that good of a coach that he continuously gets away with this stuff. He has been making this type of comment for years to no adverse affect.

April 10, 2012 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  11. sbp

No, Paul, in this country, if you call your customers morons, your bosses will fire you. You think you can claim "free speech" and sue them? Why not try reading the Bill of Rights first.

April 10, 2012 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  12. treblemaker

The only freedom of speech in the USA has left seems to have to pass through the filter of political correctness. BTW, who determines what is politically correct? The comments were "hurtful"? AWWWW! Sticks and stones will break my bones, but names will never harm me-NOT! What a thin-skinned society we have become.

April 10, 2012 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  13. Public Enemy Number 2

I think the real story here is that some people still care about Fidel Castro.

April 10, 2012 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Rob

I think the real story here is what happened to freedom of speech?

April 10, 2012 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Jody

Still loyal to another country while enjoying benefits of living here.

April 10, 2012 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  14. Alicia Townes

If he wanted to apologize he should have said it in a better way

April 10, 2012 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  15. jimbo

lol what? suspend him for such comment? are you joking? who cares how he feels about Castro? stupid Americans.

April 10, 2012 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris

the marlins are in Miami. Miami has a HUGE Cuban population. A lot of those Cubans are exiles from Communist Cuba of the late 50s (or descendants of exiles). The Marlins need people to attend games to make money. Thus, when your manager offends the HUGE population of Miami residents who will be buying tickets you must take action.

April 10, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |