April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. Just a thought

Sounds like when anybody dared to critize old Dubya. Everyone should be able to have an opinion; don't have to agree with it but agree with a persons right.

April 10, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Bill

You don't want someone's opinion, don't F#$*ing ask. Did it effect his job performance? No.

Another instance of political pandering.

April 10, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. balzac

Factoid 3245–Castro has done more for Cuba than Batista ever would have.

April 10, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Unknown

I thought how American operated was that we can disagree all we want what you say, but we will defend your right to say it!

April 10, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Olaf Big

Castro's resilience is amazing! And that's what Ozzie meant. Just let the guy play ball and leave it to politicians to do their customary hypocrisy dances. Castro is no democrat, but he is certainly not the ugliest, most corrupt, or most brutal Latin American dictator many of which were cuddled and fleeced with money and military aid from U.S. government for decades.

April 10, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Everette

I wonder if the Marlins' management would have been so upset if Guillen would have said that about Fulgencio Batista?

April 10, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. ILLERAZIG

What about the first amendment? Don't we have freedom of speech? We do not have to agree with him

April 10, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Carlo

Over five decades of trying to overthrow the Cuban Revolution, countless assassination attempts, brutal embargoes, support of military invasions, direct dealings with criminal organizations to kill Castro, bowing down to a bunch of right wing ex-hacienda owners living in Miami. Ha ha, screw them Ozzy, they just proved once again that Castro continues to be a thick and painful thorn in their Imperialist butt.

April 10, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Woody the Cowboy

In this commentary section: Liberal hippies whining about freedom of speech when they agree with it

Raise your hand if you supported Limbaugh. I count 0 hands

April 10, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • scott

Limbaugh has every right to say what he wants and his sponsors have every right to stop sponsoring him.

April 10, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Olaf Big

That's because you are used to talking to yourself and don't wait for an answer to your own question. Limbaugh is free to shoot his mouth as much as he wants. He only gets in trouble when he crosses the line between spewing generally offensive nonsense and delivering a personal insult, like in the case of Sandra Fluke.

April 10, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Suleiman the Magnificent

Cuba has been under an embargo for some 45 years. They are still there. Time to lift the embargo. Time to be less paranoid. If Guillen chooses to respect Castro, he`s free to say so, without creating a tempest in a tea pot. So much for freedom of speech.

April 10, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • larrydavid

Apparently, you do not understand what freedom of speech entails. He works for a private company and if his comments make the company look bad, they are free to suspend him.

April 10, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Christopher

So true. Now it is truly the people who suffer. How could they possibly overthrow a leader in those conditions.

April 10, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jdevil1735

The 1st Amendment is ONLY a protection from the government – private enterprise can put restrictions in place if they choose to. You're statement about Freedom of Speech would ONLY be valid if he went to jail for saying he respected Castro.

April 10, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jerome

Sad day for America .... where "freedom of speech" means NOTHING anymore.

to those (RYAN) who claim the Marlins punishment is not a violation of his free speech, did he say anything negative about his employer, or Baseball in general? why there is even a need to punish him? yes, the Marlins are a private organization, but they are part of MLB which is a significant organization in the USA, and this case is only part of a bigger trend to muzzle people, whether for Political Correctness, or just to avoid any real controversy.

As to my opinion – Castro is a dictator, and that sums him up, but he is not worse than many dictator we have supported in the past. The only reason the Marlins felt they had to punish him is to cater to what they perceive is their fan base.

April 10, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lisa

Agree – he should be allowed to 'respect' Castro if he wants to. So some don't like the statement, big deal.

April 10, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Zheng Xi

so now having a different political opinion than most people is now considered punishable? Sounds like free speech is no longer real huh?
    True he shouldn't have talked about politics but would he have actually been punished if he said that Castro was the worst person to be in Cuba? I doubt it.

April 10, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. sbp

ILLERAZIG; What about the First Amendment? Do you have a clue what it means? NO, you don't.

April 10, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Free

This is a free country, he can say what ever it is he wants. he should not apologize if that is what he feels. Although he has to realize he may lose some fans and popularity. That is the price that is sometimes paid for controversial comments.

April 10, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Ric Stevens

I respect Hitler for His ability to bring the Germans together at first and gain a loyal backing.. that is NOT to say I respect the things he did after.. MLB should be ashamed for infringeing on this man's right to free speech

April 10, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply