April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. TexEcon

The 1st Amendment prohibits government from restricting your right to speak your mind. It does not apply to employer-employee situations at all. It does not prevent your employer from disciplining you for speaking contrary to the employer's interests.

April 10, 2012 at 10:45 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Drake

Looks like Cuban-Americans are a "protected" group.

April 10, 2012 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Diamond Dave

Most people don't understand that concept because they learn mostly from watching MTV and the E channel...

April 10, 2012 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
    • TheTruthInNews

You are SO right on here! This has to do with team image and cash flow too.

April 10, 2012 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  2. henri

Pope Benedict went to visit Castro. Same for JP II. Why doesn't anyone suspend the Popes from their jobs? Withhold contributions for 5 weeks?

Anyone hear of free speech?

April 10, 2012 at 10:45 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Debbie

Since when is someone not allowed to voice their own opinion? The Marlin's should be boycotted for those 5 games.

April 10, 2012 at 10:45 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • cw

He's certainly allowed to voice his opinion, he must also deal with the consequences of that action! Personal responsiblity, Debbie?

April 10, 2012 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Recess is over

Since it reflects poorly on the team's image. You must be young. You don't go to games anyway... admit it.

April 10, 2012 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
    • i love miami

Walk into your job and say you love the KKK and Hitler and let see how long you last....lol

April 10, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  4. wuzzup

He knows baseball...

but little else...

April 10, 2012 at 10:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. J

While this does shake my resolve in our freedom of speech, this is a private ball club suspending him and not the US government punishing him.

Private establishments have every right to suspend you for what you say. Especially when you say it wearing their uniform or working on their dime. You are an extension of their company and their values, and if they feel that what you say jeopardizes their business, they have the right to punish you or remove you.

April 10, 2012 at 10:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Semper fi

Agree!

April 10, 2012 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Postal

Actually, this is the public frenzy over insignificant things people say that is causing this issue. It is true that people must deal with the repercussions of what they say, however, when society can crucify someone because they "hurt someone's feelings", while it allows others to make similar "hurtful" remarks about others without repercussions, then the entire statement "with liberty and justice for all" is no longer true, and our nation falls short of what it is meant to be. When is a five game suspension and public crucifixion proper "repercussions" for stating an opinion about someone else? Is that like saying "chopping off someone's hand" for "flipping the bird" is a proper punishment? Or cutting someone's tongue out for saying curse words?

April 10, 2012 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Kris

Then why does the gov get involved when steroids are used? He should not have been punished

April 10, 2012 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  6. ALLAMERICAN

yeap Baseball is all latinos game.

April 10, 2012 at 10:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • frauSchmidt

football and basketball is all black. what do you play then?

April 10, 2012 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  7. No sugar coating

""I get drunk because... " The reason? You're an alcoholic. Man up and admit it.

April 10, 2012 at 10:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. dew44

He's an idiot and an embarrasment to baseball.

April 10, 2012 at 10:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. so

It's not much different if I told my boss to go f themselves. Yeah free speech I can say it but I would probably get fired for it.

April 10, 2012 at 10:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • i love miami

Yep thats the point you can't walk into your job and say I love Hitler and the KKK. You'll be out the door...

April 10, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  10. mark kirksey

once again rush lint ball can say wht he want but ozzie cant

April 10, 2012 at 10:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • JomoDaMusicMan

Well, Ozzie is just one of millions of people who admire & respect Castro, including myself. As a black man in America, Castro is no threat to me or my family, unlike millions of racist White & Latinos here in America. We blacks are programmed here to like & admire Red Neck Racist like Jesse Helms & hate Castro. HOW UTTERLY RIDICULOUS. DON'T BE ASHAMED OF WHO U LIKE, OZZIE,

April 10, 2012 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  11. Drake

Sure, they can suspend him if they want, but it just demonstrates which groups have "juice" and which ones don't.

April 10, 2012 at 10:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Scott

He needs a lawyer. What ever happened to freedom of speech. It's sad that things like this are happening in the USA while americans and others are fighting for this very right.

April 10, 2012 at 10:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • You have no clue

Research the meaning of "freedom of speech" and maybe you'll understand.

April 10, 2012 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  13. Semper fi

So much for freedom of speech. Perhaps CUBA is right. Hypocrites!

April 10, 2012 at 10:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. arpad

One of my best friends parents had a bakery in Cuba that employed 65 people, mostly extended family. Castro locked them all inside and burned it to the ground. He fled with his grandparents and was raised in spanish harlem. Ozzie should be sent packing back to Venezuela to his buddy Chavez.

April 10, 2012 at 10:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. James Brown

This is a case of freedom of speech. However common sense should have been used by Ozzie for speaking his feelings on a touchy issue. The funny thing about speaking your mind in America,it's alright if you are unemployed, or just a fryer for Burger King. America's favorite game and being a high level employee making a nice salary, common sense should always edit freedom of speech before your mind press send.

April 10, 2012 at 10:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • J

I can accept him getting suspended for being stupid; I don't get a suspension for exercising his right to have his own opinion.

April 10, 2012 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |