April 10th, 2012

Overheard on CNN.com: Facebook's $1 billion Instagram buy shocks readers, users

CNN.com readers and iReporters alike are pondering the effects of a blockbuster purchase of Instagram by social network giant Facebook. Users and tech lovers are abuzz about what the buy will mean.

Facebook acquires Instagram for $1 billion

CNNMoney readers disagreed about whether this was a good move.

jones19876: "I don't see the point, and certainly not the value in this; Instagram may bring 30m users along, but Facebook already has them in their grasp, it's like buying an extra copy of a DVD you already own."

Jason Crow: "Sometimes the investment is in keeping users. Instagram was quickly becoming a leader in an area that Facebook currently dominates, which is the sharing of photos. I think Facebook is being proactive here."

This reader said the development was inevitable.

honda333: "Well, I can tell you that everyone I know uses it daily and a lot of people like it. ... I don't like it, but every picture I see on Facebook now is Instagram. I think it's a smart business move on Facebook's part. If you can't beat 'em, buy 'em."

But many users seemed to be upset by the idea. We heard from many people on Instagram via our CNN iReport account, where several expressed outrage.

"I got on Instagram to get away from Facebook, and now they've even ruined this, too," commented user soufflesoiree.

A few were indifferent.

"As long as they don't mess it up, it's fine, I guess ..." said nbbx.

We also received several iReports from users who posted images expressing their views.

Aline Alencar of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, writes, "I think it's very bad for all users. In Instagram, we have a small social media (community) to conform to. A lot of users will stop using Instagram."

Reno Moeller, an investment manager and photographer from Discovery Bay, California, talked about some of the business consequences.

"The pros are that apps like Tadaa are getting more users since the announcement. The cons are that Instagram was an escape from Facebook, a different community, a creative one, and now that's gone. ... A big reason artists or creatives don't use Facebook anymore is because we don't trust them. We don't trust their policies or like what Facebook stands for anymore. If I wanted to post my work to Facebook I would. Facebook doesn't care about the pictures or the art. They just want the users. They want the data."

But the biggest question might be ...

Will Facebook ruin Instagram?

This reader wrote that they felt a deep sense of disappointment.

Matthias: "This shows one more time that all the 'social' Internet is going into a wrong direction. We all took pictures and Instagram sells what we have created, making a hell of [a lot of] money. We need communication between people where everybody owns what he created and not a third company. I feel like somebody has stolen something from me. I actually had the same feeling a few months ago when runkeeper changed the graphs in his fitness reports and all the data I've collected over years was useless for me from one day to another. I am starting to get tired of this Internet, which is so far from the freedom it was supposed to bring to us at the beginning. It's all about making a few people incredibly rich using millions of users. … We all know that but I think it's time to make a change."

Another person said there are various possibilities.

alexDW: "Takeovers are different. Skype has been owned by Microsoft for a while and afaik nothing has happened with it at all. When Siri app was bought by Apple that meant its Android app development was ended immediately. Even its Apple app disappeared and Siri became a built-in feature of one iPhone model. We will see which way Instagram goes."

And then, for the Star Trek fans, there is this comment.

realitybitme: "Your company will be assimilated. – Mark Zuckerborg"

What's your take? Share your opinion in the comments area below and in the latest stories on CNN.com. Or sound off on video via CNN iReport.

Post by:
Filed under: Facebook • Overheard on CNN.com • Technology
  1. Greek American

Facebook sucks. Useless.

April 10, 2012 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right vs. Wrong"

Are you interested in "deleting" your facebook account for good?
    That step of control of your social networking is slowly slipping away. And they'll use you any way they can, no matter who you are. Then they'll make it difficult for you to leave, by playing your sympathy using "your friends".
    Seems everybody I know couldn't wait to get rid of me.
    It takes a full two weeks for them to permanatly delete your account. You have to be logged in when you do it.

April 10, 2012 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  3. rockrider

Funny business Facebook is when the theoretical value is so absurd that there is no accountability in normal numbers. Of course this $1B is a stock swap, not cash. I'm sorry but I can't see the value there at any level at all. Please, somebody tell me what I am missing.

Might be a call to short Facebook shares when the opportunity arises, if this is how they manage their business. VC people over at Instagram must be absolutely rolling in astounded laughter. Kudos for making a killing guys. Sad you are now part of big brother, but we can hardly blame you.

April 10, 2012 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  4. social network

The start of the dot bomb.

April 10, 2012 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

I have some sad news.
    Our friend, leeintulsa, passed away tonight.
    He was only 44.
    My sympathy to his children and his gf, Kelly.

He will be greatly missed.

April 11, 2012 at 2:32 am | Report abuse |
  6. John

Behind every decision made by anyone, there is a reason. Let's watch and see where this move will take Facebook.

April 11, 2012 at 4:29 am | Report abuse |
  7. fernace

I'm sorry to hear about leeintulsa! Have enjoyed reading his very astute posts! My sympathies to his family & friends! It's been an honor reading you, leeintulsa, go w/God & be free!!

April 11, 2012 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  8. nsaidi

Very sorry to hear about leeintulsa. Thank you all for your tributes, and we send our condolences.

April 11, 2012 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  9. swohio

Maybe people should just go back to...*GASP*...MySpace.

April 11, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy ©

And maybe you should *gasp* grow some compassion.

April 12, 2012 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy ©

Please accept my apology, as I misread your post.
      I am sorry..

April 12, 2012 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Old DOS guy

Does MySpace exist any more? I'd better fire up Netscape and have a look.

April 13, 2012 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  10. leeintulsa

Hello everyone, I'm Kelly Lee's other half. I wanted to say thank you for all the wonderful things you have said. I'm sure we all have a new guardian angel watching over us. I'm sorry that I'm not as good with words like Lee was and I hope you will forgive me. Honestly I'm still kind of numb and in disbelief over it all but he loved blogging with all of you.

April 12, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy ©

Dearest Kelly:
      If you ever need anything, ANYTHING ~ please do not hesitate to get a hold of me.
      I am truly sorry for your pain.
      I know that Lee's spirit will remain in all of those who respected and admired him.

It is bittersweet to see the username leeintulsa.

My thoughts are with you both.

Take care of Mathew, as you have been all of these years...he'll need you now more than ever.

Ah, Grasshopper, I will miss you....

April 12, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • nsaidi

Hi Kelly, thanks for stopping by. We send our condolences.

April 12, 2012 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  11. raven

I was going to say the exact same thing as banasy,kelly. It was bittersweet to see his name. Lee was very much in love with you and very much in love with his kids. When youre feeling better, I hope you will return and join our little family here. Again, I'm so very sorry. I wish I could just give you a hug.My thoughts are with you and you are forever welcome here.

April 13, 2012 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
  12. Dermopigmentação

It's actually a cool and helpful piece of info. I'm happy that you shared this useful information with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.

August 26, 2012 at 2:35 am | Report abuse |
  13. banasy©

Lol....I WISH!
    Thanks for the smile, though. :)

April 10, 2012 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |