April 11th, 2012

Justice Department sues Apple over alleged price-fixing scheme

The U.S. Department of Justice on Wednesday brought a lawsuit against Apple and several publishing companies over an alleged scheme to fix e-book prices, a source with knowledge of the investigation told CNNMoney.

The suit likely stems from the 2010 release of the iPad, when Apple reached an agreement with five publishers to release books on its then-new iBookstore.

A similar investigation led by the European Commission is probing whether Apple colluded to raise the price of e-books with CBS's Simon & Schuster, News Corp.'s HarperCollins; Hachette Book Group; Pearson's Penguin unit and Macmillan.

Before the release of the iPad, Amazon's Kindle was the preeminent e-book reader on the market. Amazon forced publishers to sell most books at $9.99 - a price that came in below the cost of the books.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Apple • Business • Technology
  1. Big Deal

Apple can swat that fly. Apple's worth over 600 billion dollars. That's like 5% of what the US produces each year. (GDP) The Justice Department should go after the 10% of everything we spend going to the Big Pharmaceutical Giants. Most of us are more into IT than we are IV anyway. (info tech vs pharmaceutical usage)

April 11, 2012 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
    • BC

Everywhere you turn, big business is ripping us off. No wonder the economy is in the dumpster! There is no money to go around, it is all being eating up with nothing left to feed our local communities with.

April 11, 2012 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

Go to the library.
    Problem solved.
    Better yet, *walk* to the library, get a little excersice and fresh air.

April 11, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  3. 40 yr. old drunk on SS disability

@banasy. We've been doing that for years and years. It's gotten to where the people who go around to the churches and get free food even take their leftovers to us in front of the public library! They KNOW where we are. (when we're not camped down by the river swapping our free pharmaceuticals for booze money. Except for our seroquels and our oxycotins. Dem dare is good drugz)

April 11, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

@Drunk:
      I was talking about Apple, Amazon and the price of books, when one can easily visit a library and get the books to read for free.

I was not responding to the first post.
      I was responding to the posted topic.

April 11, 2012 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy©

And of course, anyone who would view the public library as a handout is someone I am not interested in conversing with, anyway.
    Good day.

April 11, 2012 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  5. "Public" Library

Public libraries aren't free. Taxpaying citizens pay for them, many without hardly ever using them. And then there are those who do USE libraries just like they use everything else...from using our generous Social Security disablility program to finance ongoing drug/booze habits, to using our libraries as a free place to squat. Libraries are ultra expensive. We should ban the broke bums just on financial principles alone!

April 11, 2012 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

There is a guy here who is always spewing how the adult literacy rate is abysmal.
      Then, he goes on record to denigrate a program that would help greatly in his fight AGAINST it.
      Absolutely at cross purposesn no matter how one slices it or dices it.

I suggest one quits trying to take apart every bloody thing I say and advocate the use of the library, instead of, apparently, hating every bloody thing about it.

Ya want respect for your posts?
      Start gining some to others.

April 11, 2012 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

And I am aware that I have some spelling and tyro errors in my post above.

I am mourning a good, decent friend.

Of all the asshats who post on these blogs, leeintulsa passes?

Jeez.

April 11, 2012 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  6. BC

It's about time! over $600 a share, the product is made in china, you have to have a development kit to write apps, it has to be done on a mac, you have to have an itunes account..... can you say monopoly! Oh yeah billions in profits! Nothing is patriotic about Apple. And they went after Microsoft for putting in their own browser. ReDICK!

April 11, 2012 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mary

I believe those who point out the wrongs in this world being commended, are to be commended. Not the people who flap their gums on blogs ( as if it were their own personal KINGDOM) that speak of atrocities being committed daily.

If you don't wish to converse with said person, that STOP doing so,,, easy-peesy

April 11, 2012 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

There is plenty wrong with the world; the ones that should be commended are the ones who offer viabke solutions.
      A silution to adult literacy, for instance, is visiting a library.

I find it SO amusing that someone has to rush in with her cute little cape flapping to defend against mean old banasy, who, actually, didn't say anything that wasn't true.
      Awwww.
      That's so cute.

It's everyone's blog, this is quite true.
      I can also answer who I please.
      If one doesn't like it, they can suck it.

April 11, 2012 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Once again I noticed that I have some spelling errors.
      Mea culpa.

April 11, 2012 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mary

The one who point out the ROUTE cause are the ones who point to the TRUE solution to the problem, my dear!
    Man will never have the answer
    Man will never obtain PEACE with out GOD!

The rest of your post is worthless

April 11, 2012 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • mickey1313

anyone who thinks god is the answer to anything is a fool, cop a squat on the loser belief board.

April 12, 2012 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

I truly hope yourfriend never suddenly passes, for I would surely afford you more compassion thn you have shown today, only because I know what he means to you.

I would like to know what God thinks of pettiness.
    Please grow up.

April 11, 2012 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mary

I have no time for this Donna , but calling someone a heathen twot IS not grown up and shows LACK of being a LADY something that you have NEVER possessed
    Good day

April 12, 2012 at 6:35 am | Report abuse |
  11. Mary

BTW GOD MEANS A BILLION TIMES MORE !!!!!

April 12, 2012 at 6:36 am | Report abuse |
  12. Connie C.

You have got to be kidding me! I am appalled and outraged that the government is wasting their time and my money worrying about a $3.00 increase for the electronic version of a steamy romance novel? Don't readers have less expensive choices? If they, and by they I mean the Justice Department, feel that the American people are being wronged and are in need of government mandate, why not start with something that effects and concerns ALL Americans, say, oh, the price of fuel, health care, prescription drugs, cell phone service or cable TV? I must be missing something...

April 12, 2012 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |