George Zimmerman appears before judge
April 12th, 2012

George Zimmerman appears before judge

[Updated at 2:01 p.m. ET] A solemn George Zimmerman, wearing gray jail coveralls, appeared before a Seminole County, Florida, judge Thursday, speaking only a few words as his arraignment was set for next month.

All matters including bond and further motions in the case will be handled by the circuit court, Judge Mark Herr said. The case will be assigned to Judge Jessica Recksiedler going forward.

As the short hearing was concluding, Zimmerman's attorney, Mark O'Mara, asked that records containing personal information on witnesses, including addresses and telephone numbers in some cases, be sealed. As nothing else besides the probable cause affidavit had been filed in court Thursday, Herr said Recksiedler will address a motion to seal the file.

O'Mara did not ask that Zimmerman be released on bond, although he said earlier in the day he wanted his client released as soon as possible.

He did note, however, that being out on bail could jeopardize Zimmerman's safety.

"I think nobody would deny the fact if George Zimmerman is walking down the street today, he would be at risk," he explained.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Florida • Trayvon Martin
  1. Rick

Unless hospital records can be shown that proves Zimmerman was treated for a broken nose, massive head injuries and was given a brain scan then this case is pretty much open and shut. Zimmerman has admitted to shooting the gun and there is no evidence a scuffle took place. Unfortunatly the real telling sign of what the verdict will be will depend on the jury and whether it is a majority black or white.

April 13, 2012 at 3:25 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. ronvan

WOW: Some of these posts are really stupid! If your black & wear a hoodie you are a criminal!? So much BS! If you use this story then you are guilty of PROFILING!! While ALL of us, me included, continue to post our commnets, WE do not know the whole story, YET. This "stand your ground" law is a problem. I have no problem in shooting/killing someone who breaks into my house. On the other side I can see the same thing if I am walking down the street and am attacked and in fear of my life. Then you get into the problem of what kind of gun to carry? Personally I would trust my 45, no downgraded ammo, if, god forbid, I need to use it I want the person to go down not just get madder because I used a 22. At any rate I am anxious to see what happens when, if, this gets to court and hear all of the facts!

April 13, 2012 at 9:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. anthony

since he walked 45 days he shouldn't get bond at all. I also belive people saw and heard more than what they are telling.
    If he has no bruises on him; i wonder what caused the screaming. How did he get on his stomach or could he have been shot in the back. Trayvon ran, because he had a bad feeling about something or did he sight zimmermans pistol.
    Let me guest Zimmerman has 2 violent charges on his record so how is he allowed to carry a firearm; if someone know pleawse post it so i can understand. So still had a passion for law enforcement dispite his 2 felony charges. He put him self in position as neighbor hood watch and contained ties to the Sanford police department closest thing a cop he wanted to be dispite his charges from the past. Under Florida gun law are people with violent charges on thier background allow to carry a pistol?

April 13, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. My name is Akmed

Shut up and quit talking to yourself, Mitch,

April 13, 2012 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. bobcat (in a hat) ©

Take it the way you will. Zimmerman stepped over the line when he decided to follow and confront Trayvon. The "sole" purpose of a neighborhood watch is "TO OBSERVE AND REPORT", not follow, confront and shoot. That's why we have police. If he had followed the proper procedures, this young man would still be alive.
    And to all you posters about hoodies. Are hoodies supposed to be an item that is exclusive to african-americans ? I'm a white man in his sixties and I wear hoodies. So what ?

April 13, 2012 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • dazzle ©

@bobcat(iah)- well said, I wear hoodies also and I am a white female who is 50. Making such noise about hoodies is nonsense. Think of me tomorrow when I have to fly back home and deal with the scanners and pat downs of our fine TSA authorities. I didn't get subjected to it on my way here but....

April 14, 2012 at 2:17 am | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

@ dazzle

If they start getting too fresh with you on the pat downs, just put on your hoodie and sunglasses, cross your arms, get a beat and say. "Yo Yo Baby. You is the TSA, and I gotta say, you may have the right to pat, but I don't like it like that.
      So just be cool, before you drool, or I'll turn your name over to the bobcat who wears a hat.
      Have a safe flight and get in touch when you get home.

April 14, 2012 at 7:02 am | Report abuse |
  6. Cindy

Were you there when George and Trayvon met up ?? NO YOU WERE NOT !! None of you were !! Let the authorities do their job and let the man go on trial ! When or if anybody gets hurt if George is found innocent or guilty I PERSONALLY BLAME the media and the thousands of people like Spike Lee, Oprah, Nancy Grace and others for accomplishing to divide the country between whites and blacks. This was never about race, and now everyone is on the band wagon on hatred. Thanks Rev. Al and Jessy !! Has anybody ever wondered that maybe George was following Trayvon but who did the confronting was Trayvon ?? I like everyone else was outraged when I saw in the beginning the pictures of the cutest 8 yr. old kid in his football uniform ..... Well ? Why did the media lie to us ? Turned out to be a 6 ft. young man concealing his face with the hoodie .... I KNOW, who should be alive today ..... LET THE AUTHORITIES DO THEIR JOB MEDIA and stop spreading poison upon the country !!!!! You should all be ashamed of yourselves !!

April 13, 2012 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

See, there's the problem Cindy. You are correct, let the authorities do their job. If Zimmerman had let the "authorities" do their job, the young man would still be alive.

April 13, 2012 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@bobcat(iah), LMAO, are you sure you don't do comedy. You must be a riot to fly with.If I pulled a stunt like this, I would be taken away;-). No drama with TSA, but the hoodie is on with brutal desert winds. TY again for a great laugh. That transgender blog is awful.

April 14, 2012 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  7. dazzle ©

Since you don't know me how can you even say such rubbish. Given that I just received my PHd it takes time. By the way you can find me on You Tube doing presentations and I do have a book in the works. Insecure would define you.

April 14, 2012 at 1:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. bobcat (in a hat) ©

@dazzle

I've just got this crazy kind of mind. It gives me a great deal of pleasure if when I'm able to put a smile on my friends faces. But some times I'm terrible, especially if I get on a roll. This one time, a friend of mine was in the hospital for hemmoroid surgery. Well, I went to visit him and I cracked a joke about his experience. He started laughing, which caused him a great deal of pain, and off I went. I felt so bad, but I just couldn't stop myself. The nurse ended up throwing me out of the room and they had to double his pain meds. The next day I went back and that old witchy nurse would not leave the room while I was there. Why, I don't know. True story. I guess I took the old saying, "Laughter is the best medicine" too seriously.
    And yeah, that transgender blog was to weird for me.

April 14, 2012 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • dazzle ©

@bobcat(iah), just keep em coming. Is your friend still a friend to this day? You probably did more for him than pain meds and the hagatha nurse. I have to deal with such humorless dolts in my work life. One fool had the nerve to tell me that I "laugh inappropriately" and of course I responded with an uncontrollable laughing fit. His response,"you see you are making fun of me." If more people realized that humor is a necessity for happiness, the world would be a better place. Well you cracked this girl up twice now today. I needed it after doing a very complicated tax return.

April 14, 2012 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  9. bobcat (in a hat) ©

@ dazzle
    I love to make people laugh. Sometimes I wonder if that is my special purpose in life. I also know too many humorless people and I definitely don't hang with them. They'll tell me things like, "You need to act your age." Is there a certain way you are supposed to act at any given age ? I refuse to be a stuffed shirt. I act in a way that is circu mstance appropriate. ie, serious, compassionate, sorrowful, humorous. I'm a man of different hats. (or cat if you prefer ) I have to be in my line of work. And in life.

April 15, 2012 at 9:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

And yes that friend is still a brother today. We date back back to vietnam in '69. In fact he and his wife are one of the main reasons I moved to the south in '76.

April 15, 2012 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@bobcat(iah), then you are my kind of people. I love to mix things up when my daughter and I are out together. Catch her by surprise. Maybe that's why I've had a parade of her friends stopping over. So you see the impact your humor had on your friend. Love that story.

April 15, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  10. bobcat (in a hat) ©

@ dazzle

Yeah, I know what you mean. Whenever we're out, my has to constantly tell to behave myself. All I do is grin at her.
    When we double date witn my aforementione friend, they never know what to expect. And the scary thing is, neither do I. I am so spontaneous with my shenanigans, ( hey I like how that word sounds, she na ni gan ) most times I don't know what I'm going to do until it's done. I especially love it when we go to a restaurant. Those poor waitresses.

April 15, 2012 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. dazzle ©

@bobcat(iah)-I am sure your wife knows you better than anyone and loves you even more because of your mischief.I can imagine you and your friend really get the party started. Restaurants and grocery stores are the perfect places to find reasons to get crazy funny. The other place is when driving and some idiot is road raging and you can't help but laugh....right at them.

April 15, 2012 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Blah blah the wheel's off your trailer

At least justice has been so far served with his arrest! I just hope the coward cold blooded murderer enjoys the prison food! But don't worry George, I won't wish for you to choke on the prison food! Casey Anthony is bringing duck tape so you can hang yourself!

April 16, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Todd Nolan

Not only would he be at risk, but he'd be A risk. From his surrogates spouting bald-faced lies to his hideously tacky website soliciting donations, this guy has shown himself to be an unabashed, unashamed, unapologetic, psychopathic vigilante.

April 16, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Cindy

Never a racist issue. It's about guns and the fact if Trayvon actually attacked George or not before the shot when off. Besides, I'm still waiting for that cute 8 yr. old kid in a football uniform that was shown to all of us that was killed .... where the hell is he ??? Oh? Turned out to be a 6 ft. young man ..... when will the media just inform the public of the actual news and not sensationalize whats going on ??? Let the authorities do their job and stop playing the race card !!!

April 18, 2012 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Cindy

If I were following someone, rgardless of the color of their skin and if that person attacked me I would do anything and everything to defend myself. It has nothing to do with race. A black man has just as much right to defend himself against anyone. Please people, just let the authorities do their job ....

April 18, 2012 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mecca Campbell

Cindy is no doubt a racist white lady... Listen to her words.... If she were following someone, she'd "defend" herself!? Laughable. Really lady... think about trayvon's safety in defending himself that day. Why was Zimmerman following him! why did he get out his vehicle to antagonize this young boy! Are you still sticking with the hoodie story? the courts/polic/authorities often don't do their job cindy you're obviously part of the majority. next time it will be your 17 you are putting in a casket, then you can sit there and debate letting the authorities do their job. ignorant people like her is why the system does not work!!! Smh to the racist sensationalist. LoL let me guess, Republican

April 21, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |