From beauty pageants to college sports, transgender people break barriers
Jenna Talackova, right, and her lawyer Gloria Allred want the Miss Universe pageant to drop its "naturally born" clause.
April 14th, 2012

From beauty pageants to college sports, transgender people break barriers

Jenna Talackova was born a man. She began the process of becoming a woman at age 14 with hormone treatments and then had surgery at the age of 19.

“I have always dreamed of being in the Miss Universe competition and having an opportunity to represent my country, Canada,” said the 23-year-old beauty contestant.  “I was told by representatives of the Miss Universe Canada Pageant that I could not compete because a rule stated that I had to be a naturally born woman,” she said.

The Miss Universe Pageant is owned by Donald Trump who, after much attention, changed his mind and said Talackova could compete. But, Talackova’s attorney Gloria Allred says, she and her client want the “naturally born” rule eliminated.

There are some pageants specifically for transgender women and transvestites, but Talackova wants to compete in mainstream pageants. Allred said allowing Talackova to compete but not changing the “naturally born” rule doesn't address the problem.

That rule has already been dropped from most sports from high school to the Olympics. Transgender people can compete in high school, college, the Olympics and the LPGA. The NCAA amended its transgender policy just last year.

“We met with several of our committees that deal with some of these issues and the main policy issues had to do with mixed team status and had to do with the use of banned substances - testosterone,” said Mary Wilfer, associate director of health and safety at the NCAA.

She said that after a year of testosterone suppression medication, a male becoming a female will lose a sufficient amount of male muscle-building strengths and other benefits of testosterone and therefore has no unfair advantage over other naturally born females when it comes to athletic competitions.

Nancy Hogshead-Makar is the senior director of advocacy for the Women’s Sports Foundation. The WSF was part of a group that helped form the transgender policies for the high school and college level.

“In high school it’s about gender identification. Whatever somebody says they are is what they get to participate in,” said Hogshead-Makar. The WSF took its policy for the NCAA from the International Olympic Committee’s policy that mandates that transgender women must be at least two years post-gender reassignment surgery in order to compete.

Another group that helped shape the NCAA’s policy is the National Center for Lesbian Rights. Shannon Minter, a transgender man, said it’s true that just because a woman was once a man, it does not make her a better or stronger athlete.

“There’s lots of women actually, transgender women now, who are competing in women’s sports. And you know, I will say that none of them are at the top of their field,” Minter said.

Listen to CNN Radio's podcast

Post by:
Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Philip

Back before 1994, only crooked dairy farmers fed their cows illegal drugz that made the cows prosuce more milk. For it was against the law. EVERY SINGLE independant and government study concluded that if it made cows fat, it would make people fat. Now look at US. The average American citizen is now officially overly obese. (having a bmi exceeding 30)

April 14, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. chrissy

@ all the other bloggers, sorry you had 2 read all that. But banasy is in alot of pain right now & someone had 2 put a stop 2 it. Since the death of leeintulsa this week & the aniversary of her sons death also its 2 much! And mary hasnt let up on her!

April 14, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. fernace

Transgender people are simply taking advantage of modern medical technology to match their bodies w/their minds! Look at it this way: All your life you Feel like a girl, but when you Look in the mirror you encounter a boy! You may even go along w/"natures as.signment",marry, have kids, but you know you're living a lie! That kind of co.nflict has to be excruciating! I have known both woman to man & man to woman transgenders & they look fabulous & feel even better! 1 friend told me it's like being reborn! She also told me to think of it as a very serious birth defect! She looked perfectly male, but was also perfectly miserable! Now she's happy being who she was supposed to be in the 1st place! There are a lot of variables, mentally & physically, when it comes to s.e.xuallity! Don't condemn until you know the facts!!

April 14, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Philip

Now why would a government wish obesity among it's citizenry? It's a no-brainer, really. What government wants a people strong minded and strong bodied enough to rebel? Overly obese people are much less prone to rebel. Much less prone to do much of anything other than couch blog.

April 14, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Philip

@furnace. Their minds have been altered by mind-altering meds. Even mothers who took FDA black-box drugs while pregnant passed these dangerous oil based drugs onto their unborn child. Lab results show that these very drugs alter the unborn child's dna, and cause the child to be confused about it's gender.

April 14, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • ♚Mmmmm♛

April 14, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • candid one

Why in the hell do you think everybody has taken these mind altering drugs when most of them were not available when the people you are making lite iof weren't even born? You spread misinformation so nonchalantly. Educate yourself.

April 14, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Yeti

Really? A transgender (genetically male) person has to be allowed into an NCAA female team? This country has it's head up it's (you know the rest).

April 14, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. banasy©

This is my first post of the day.
    All other made under my name were not made by me.
    I care not one jot for what my troll thinks of me, ot what Mary's troll thinks, fir that matter.
    I haven't the heart for this today...those with a heart will understand.
    To all of my friends: hello.
    To all of the haters: FO.

The Troll god was laughing; ask yourselves why.

I may be back later: but for now, any posts made under the name 'banasy' is nit I.
    Have fun bashing me. I really don't care.

Hi, CenTexan, JIF, and chrissy.

April 14, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

@ banasy©
      I just want you to know that my thoughts are with you at this time sweet lady. Hope you feel better soon.

April 14, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  8. fernace

Thanks chrissy, but no explanation is necessary! We regulars know what's going on! I, btw, am a friend of yours, banasy, bobcat, JIF, Ruffie, BOMBO, etc., but tend to stear clear of Philp & Mary for reasons illustrated on this blog! We all miss leeintulsa, RIP, & my emotional support goes out to banasy during this difficult time! Cheers to you, chrissy, hope you have a mellow w-e!! PS. Hey, Ruffie, you made me Lol! Men don't talk cause they're backed up, huh! You may have something there! Ha ha ha!!

April 14, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

And a big hello to you fernace.

April 14, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  9. bobcat (in a hat) ©

@ chrissy

There is no need to apologize. You're just defending someone very dear to you.

April 14, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. bobcat (in a hat) ©

For authenticity you got go

MEEEEEOOOOWWWWWRRRR

Now doesn't that sound better ?

April 14, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. chrissy

@ fernace and bobcau ty! And as any fool can plainly see i have NO problem saying what i think under my OWN name so i have no need to troll others!

April 14, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. bobcat (in a hat) ©

@ chrissy

I would never think otherwise. Our trolls are to obvious for we that know each not to see thru them.

April 14, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. fernace

Philp & Mmmmm, you are assigning to modern times a phenomenon that has been evident throughout history! What "hormones" "addled" transgenders minds in the 9th, 14th or18th century? What made people gay or bi? Mmmmm, you have every right to your religious convictions, but your arguement is too simplistic & full of religious rhetoric to take seriously in our scientific world! I believe in God, I don't believe in religion! It seems like a bunch of manmade rules to oppress & control! Also, shout out to banasy, I got your back, blog friend!!

April 14, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • ♚Mmmmm♛

@ fernie you're the one with the man-made facts....the points promoted are scientific...man did not create gender nor did man create dna, and neither has a predisposing gene been discovered. however man did muitilate to create the transgender monster, a term which is a really a misnomer. for tacky talackova with his drug-induced suppression of testoterone, fake breasts, and castrations does not make him a women...he is a predator and definitely meets the "my what big feet, hands, head, knees, height, and eyes you have...!"

April 14, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • ♚Mmmmm♛

i will add that scientific discoveries has only confirm the biblical stances recorded thousands of years ago...

April 14, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  14. fernace

Hey, bobcat(iah),Lol, I had a cat outside my window last night that sounded Just like that! It's mating season, I think!!

April 14, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. fernace

Hey, bobcat(iah),Lol, I had a cat outside my window last night that sounded Just like that! It's ma.ting season, I think!!

April 14, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

Yeah, we do kind of sound like that. LMAO

April 14, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |