April 15th, 2012

Boston Marathon officials issue heat warning

Monday's Boston Marathon may not be as crowded as some had anticipated with temperatures expected to approach 90 degrees.

The Boston Athletic Association is allowing runners to defer their entry into the race until the 2013 marathon as a way of discouraging some from taking on what could be dangerously hot weather.

Watch the video to see who race officials are doing to prepare for the heat and what advice they're giving to even the most seasoned marathoner who decides not to take the day off.

Post by:
Filed under: Boston • Massachusetts • Running • Sports
  1. ron

High of 90??? Well that does it for me ! And I had such high hopes this year-snicker...

April 15, 2012 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Fred L. Fraud

My pre-marathon ritual was pasta early in the week before the event, then fish the night before.

April 15, 2012 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Mary

Everyone in boston talks life a gay anyways. Where did they get that gay wad sissy accent anyways. Everyone in the US is embarrassed by the idiot loosers from baaahhstom.

April 15, 2012 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • creamlover

Can you read or spell? And, by the way, "anyways" isn't a word. Living in Boston now. Most people in Boston, aren't from there originally...people outside of Boston are the ones with the 'accent'. Further, all regions of the U.S. have these 'accents' – I'm sure some think you do too! Please don't tell me your from NYC!

April 15, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scary Mary

The posts by Scary Mary and chrissy are both made by the same troll. And no, it doesn't know how to read or spell.

April 15, 2012 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • blueskies

uh...I'm not embarrassed by them. so there goes that assertion.

April 15, 2012 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Martin

The rest of the country is embarrassed of the "loosers from Boston"? Really? We have more universities per capita, more hospitals, research facilities, and a large percent of our population is highly educated. We're a healthy city, with a fit populace, yet also love great good – our restaurant scene has become world-class over the past decade. Our murder rate is extremely low, as is our child mortality rate. Our child literacy rate is tops in the nation, and our divorce and adultery rates are the lowest in the country. We're recently completed the largect constrction project in the history of the freaking world, and now our harbor gleams and provides a greenway linking city to sea.

The mutual fund was invented here, when DARPA wanted to build a new comm system, they asked Lincoln Labs (ours) to work on it – and, we gave you the Internet (sorry Al, but that was us). Our biotechs are discovering drugs that will save your life, Google, Amazon and Microsoft are all expanding their campuses here, and Zuckerberg (in a speech to Standford students, no less) said that if he was starting Facebook in what Boston has become in the past few years, he never would have relocated to Silicon Valley.

Yes – much of the nation _should_ be embarrassed: we're smarter, fitter, more loyal to our partners, and better to our kids than most of the country. Try to keep up, or get left in our dust (pun fully intended).

April 15, 2012 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  4. chrissy

People from baaaaahston are an embarrassment to humanity. I think they call it baaaahston because they all sleep with sheep.

April 15, 2012 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Al

Boston, and the rest of the state helps subsidize the red states. America would be stronger if states like Alabama, Oklahoma, and Mississippi would pay their own way instead of always having their hand out. It was the bravery of those in Mass, and NY, that made the USA possible.

April 15, 2012 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  5. fryuujin

NO WAY, Fox has been telling us for years that climate change is a HOAX by the liberals! Fing Fox and their dam lies!

April 15, 2012 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • chris

news flash for the liberal fools. in 1909 the boston was ran in 97 degrees.

April 15, 2012 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jen

I'm glad to see they are encouraging people to think about their health, rather than their pride or wallets. I'm not a marathoner by any means but I learned quickly that heat can be dangerous. I was finishing a run in 80 degree weather or so (not used to that!! haha) and about .25 mi from my house I started getting pain through my chest and shoulders but I brushed it off, pushed myself to finish. Got home and thought I was going to pass out. Ended up taking a cool shower and then made it about 5 minutes before I threw up several times. Like I said, lesson learned! Health before pride. I won't ever do that again. I don't even like running if it's over 70 .. 75. I'll go in the morning or late at night.

I hope everyone stays safe this year.

April 15, 2012 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. FloridaREVISITED

Heat comes from the sun: the non American owned sun rises every day and without the sun there is no race or shade.
    Obviously we need security sanctions for the sun and more free downloads for the racers.

April 15, 2012 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Philip

Only my 3:07 Lance Armstrong comment is genuine Philip.
    Everyone knows walking briskly is better for you than running. Though what overly obese man holding his childs hand doesn't wish he could run fast as he helplessly watches a priest snag and run away to go hump the boy. (or girl, if said priest be so oriented)

April 15, 2012 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Trolls have arrived...

April 15, 2012 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Philip

oopsy. Is it checken coop old lady hag hen peck fest time already? I best ski-daddle. Thanks for hijacking my personal screenname today, which ever did it. It's not as fun as getting trolled though. (when a post is made and you change your s/n to reply because of cowardice or plans of posting an nasty response, you are trolling. Trolling isn't even close to the same as hijacking dummy, and worlds away from lurking or creating avatars/charachters like Ahkmed. Most old people can only handle understanding the 'troll' word. The rest is just too complicated so they call everything 'troll'...pop another xanax and call it good.

April 15, 2012 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Hijackers Have Arrived

Better now? Even though the generally accepted word for what they do is trolling? What a stupid comment.

April 15, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matthew says...

Do not judge and criticize and condemn others, so you may not be judged and criticized and condemned yourselves.

April 15, 2012 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Philip

@chrissy. Hogwash. Somewhere in the world there must be a priest that humps other than males.

April 15, 2012 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. RunnerGirl70

As a runner, I would definately take heed of the warnings if I were not a seasoned marathoner. Since Boston is a qualifying race and many of the participants are seasoned runners, many will not defer because they can handle the conditions. The problem is those who get entries through charities who did not qualify.
    For those who say "postpone it" you obviously have no clue as to what goes into putting on a race of this magnitude. People have travelled from all over the WORLD to run, streets are shut down, the logistics can be nightmarish. At worst, they will "black flag" the race, meaning there is no official timing.
    And the carb loading is a total load of BS. You eat the carbs 4-5 days BEFORE the race, then eat protein and veggies the night before. Perhaps those who do not run or have no earthly clue about training should just be quiet.

April 15, 2012 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Philip

@Mary. Cheer up. The crowds were constantly throwing rocks and spitting at him towords the end of his earthly ministry. They were most upset at Jesus for exposing their national religion. So be careful when you criticize these folks who believe in the religious burning hell rather than the biblical grave. And extra careful when you point-out that the man they voted into office is himself a staunch believer in the hellfire doctrine of man.

April 15, 2012 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. dave

87 degrees in Boston in April? Years ago, it never got that warm all summer. But somehow, those idiot Republicans want you to believe there's no global warming. How gullible and stupid can people be? This planet is doomed. Screw those damned Republicans.

April 15, 2012 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Dan

I ran in 2004 when it was similarly hot (86 – 88 at race time?). I got dehydrated, cramped, vomited, etc. I did finish the race, but I had to run/walk about 8 miles, and walk another 5. My time was an hour and a half slower than the time that I used to get there. But it was still really fun.

April 15, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply