Alabama's $30K football trophy shatters
Alabama head coach Nick Saban holds the AFCA Coaches' Trophy after Alabama beat LSU 21-0 in January's BCS title game.
April 17th, 2012

Alabama's $30K football trophy shatters

The University of Alabama's crystal prize for winning last season's college football championship had a pretty short shelf life and somewhere, a player's parent is blushing crimson.

The roughly $30,000 Waterford crystal football that tops the trophy from the American Football Coaches Association fell and shattered on Saturday when the father of an Alabama player caught his foot on a rug where the trophy stood at Alabama's Mal Moore Athletic Facility, according to CNN affiliate WIAT and ESPN's Alex Scarborough.

The accident is said to have happened after the Crimson Tide's annual intrasquad spring game, which 78,526 fans watched Saturday at Bryant-Denny Stadium in Tuscaloosa.

Scarborough's Twitter account has a picture of what he says is a tiny piece of the broken crystal prize, made in Ireland.

Alabama was awarded the trophy after beating LSU 21-0 in the Bowl Championship Series title game on January 9.

Mel Pulliam, marketing director for the AFCA, which issues the trophy to BCS-winning teams, told CNN on Tuesday that Alabama would be responsible for paying for a replacement, and that he didn't know whether the university had insured the prize.

Alabama's sports information department didn't immediately return a call seeking comment. But Pulliam said the AFCA would work with a supplier "as fast as we can so that (Alabama) can display" a replacement.

"It's rare that these things happen. The trophies make hundreds of appearances and celebrations - it’s got a pretty good track record," Pulliam said.

Rare, perhaps, but Alabama isn't the first Southeastern Conference school to see its BCS trophy fall to pieces.

When high school recruit Orson Charles visited Florida in 2008, the tight end knocked over Florida's 2006 championship trophy, the Anniston Star reported. Charles ended up playing for SEC rival Georgia.

For Alabama, the celebration of January's BCS win goes on without the trophy. Members of the team collected their championship rings on Monday, and they will visit the White House for a traditional champions' visit with the president on Thursday.

Post by:
Filed under: Alabama • College football • Football • Sports
  1. Eric Cartman

You're breaking my balls.

April 18, 2012 at 1:53 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. tigrr

Design a trophy for jocks made from glass? Who thought that up? Stupid from every direction. Well, now everyone can have a bit of it.

April 18, 2012 at 2:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Bull in a china shop

See? Why's everyone always got to assume it was me? I was just in there admiring the thing and this idiot's dad trips on the rug. But no...you all look right at the Bull. Well, you know what, I have feelings too. I like fine bone china and crystal, too. How come every time I go into one of those places, the owner follows me around? You all are bovists and I'm out of here. I'm going to India. That's the land where my people run the show; we're treated like gods. I bet they'll let me in their store.

April 18, 2012 at 2:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Idea

They should gather up all the bits and peices and auction them off on Ebay. I'm not a Bama fan, but if it was my team I'd pay a few bucks to say I had a piece of teh BCS Champ crystal ball. Give the $$ to charity.

April 18, 2012 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  4. **cosmicVox *

It was a CRYSTAL BALL, they should'a seen this coming...!!!

April 18, 2012 at 2:56 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. nokoolaidcowboy

eBay the fragments, buy new trophy!

April 18, 2012 at 7:02 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Take em out

he fumbles in the endzone

April 18, 2012 at 7:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. kmac

Sure some almuni can get another

April 18, 2012 at 7:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Thinkergal

I can hear the LSU fans chortling.

April 18, 2012 at 8:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. ralph

A sad day, for America and civilization as we know it...The Mayans were obviously correct :(

April 18, 2012 at 8:23 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Tom

They are going to auction off the pieces to booster right? I'm sure they could collect far more than the $30K required for a replacement.

April 18, 2012 at 8:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Marvin R

I see a fund raising opportunity. sell the pieces to the alumni...

April 18, 2012 at 8:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. vdanker

No comments on the absurdity of a $30k trophy for a University? How many scholarships would that be for a student who really wants an education? Priorities? anyone

April 18, 2012 at 8:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • football

Do you have any idea how much money the football programs in the south make? $30k is just a drop in the bucket. Can't just look at the expense and ignore the revenue.

April 18, 2012 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  13. JKeezer

Most likely the insurance policy will kick-in after the decutable...but on a more lighter note...would like to the player who dad did the deed...go I hear GOAT!!!

April 18, 2012 at 9:15 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. REEKO

I don't think Waterford makes chrystal anymore. They closed it down.

April 18, 2012 at 9:28 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Fladabosco

I'd fire the person who put the $30K trophy where someone tripping over a rug would shatter it.

April 18, 2012 at 10:01 am | Report abuse | Reply