Overheard on CNN.com: Trayvon Martin case 'no-win situation' for all parties?
George Zimmerman testified, along with his wife and parents, at a bail hearing Friday in Sanford, Florida.
April 20th, 2012

Overheard on CNN.com: Trayvon Martin case 'no-win situation' for all parties?

Some new details emerged from the hearing during which a Florida judge set a $150,000 bond for George Zimmerman. Readers have been assessing the information, and they're telling us they aren't quite sure what to make of the Trayvon Martin case. Since some of the most critical information in the case has not been released publicly, it's difficult to make a judgment. Many of our commenters felt that both Zimmerman and Martin's stories are sad.

More details about Zimmerman emerge during bond hearing

This was the most-liked comment:

W0ofie:
"1. Overzealous. 2. Rash. 3. Naive. 4. Foolish.

Four words that describe Zimmerman. This case doesn't meet the standard for murder, it probably meets the standard for manslaughter. I do not believe Zimmerman intended on shooting anyone, I do beleive that his actions were sufficient for Trayvon Martin to feel threatened. Very sad, Zimmerman thought Trayvon was a criminal, Martin thought Zimmerman intended him harm. One is dead and one has ruined his life. Should have just let the cops handle it. Thanks to the NRA pushing laws that Law Enforcement Officers have repeatedly opposed because of this exact reason we now have one life ended and one life ruined. I can empathize with both, I am sure that will (anger) a few of you."

The replies were along similar lines, with this reader saying no one wins from the situation.

userjoe9066: "Very well worded, pretty much matches up with what I feel right now, it's just a no win situation even if they public gets what they want and Zimmerman gets hung or whatever happens to him it won't bring back Trayvon, there really is no winner in this situation. Hope it works out somehow though. I empathize with both sides."

This person said they fear "Stand Your Ground" laws, but don't know what to make of the case.

KellyinMN: "I can't say whether second degree murder or manslaughter is more appropriate, since I don't have access to all the evidence, just as you don't. With that said, I agree that I can sympathize with both (I can't empathize since I've never been shot or shot someone). It's a very sad situation which likely could have been prevented had the NRA not been allowed to push their dangerous laws. They tried passing a "Stand Your Ground" law similar to Florida's in Minnesota, but our law makers took law enforcements concerns and chose to only allow for the SYG type force in your home, car, RV, and tent (camping). I applaud their restraint and am proud they didn't bow to the NRA like so many other states have."

What information makes the difference in this case?

wodley: "We cannot pass judgment now whether it's manslaughter or not before knowing all the facts. The important thing is to prove forensically whether Zimmerman shot Martin while his head was being slammed on the concrete or whether he shot him from a distance. If it's the first, then it's self-defense. If it's the second, then it's second-degree murder."

This reader said they feel a second-degree murder charge is too much.

caliconor: "I agree with the original poster. I think Zimmerman was foolish, but he wasn't out to kill anyone. He was out doing a service for the community and was attacked. It sucks that someone died, but this was one of these circumstances where everything went wrong and it did. He's guilty of manslaughter, not murder. Wrongful dead lawsuit? More than likely. But 2nd degree murder? That's pretty ridiculous."

This is only a portion of the conversation that took place. What do you think? Share your opinion in the comments area below and in the latest stories on CNN.com. Or sound off on video via CNN iReport.

Post by:
Filed under: Florida • Justice • Overheard on CNN.com • Trayvon Martin • U.S.
  1. mr petey

It`s amazing how the uninformed make such ignorant comments....they want to blame the gun ,they want to blame the law, and the nra....for your education ,Zimmerman could still claim self defense under the old DUTY TO RETREAT LAW , which states the person under attack must retreat IF POSSIBLE, ZIMMERMAN claims he was attacked from behind and knocked to the ground ,with no way to retreat......We don`t have all the facts ,but what is clear, is there were some very bad choices made that led to this tragedy.........and no amount of laws has ever and will never ,be able to control what Humans will do.

April 21, 2012 at 11:40 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. bobcat (in a hat) ©

@ Justathought

I agree with your comment. One of the main reasons Zimmerman will be found not guilty is the overreaching charge of 2nd degree murder. Just like in the Anthony case, the prosecution has decided to go for the gold. Manslaughter at best.

April 21, 2012 at 11:54 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chris Wyman

There will probably be no justice in the Trayvon Martin case. In June, 2011, my 18 yr. old granddaughter (white) was murdered by a shot in the back at close range (gun powder on her neck) by her 32 yr. old ex-boyfriend (black). The DA in her case made a plea deal for voluntary manslaughter of 20 yrs.! Where is the justice in that?! All the people around the world who have stood up for Trayvon, where were you in my granddaughter's case? There are a lot of discrepancies about her murder and we're trying to get someone to help us find out if any of it's true. Our family has no justice and probably never will.

April 23, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • dizzle

In my opinion, I believe that our governor planned this to happen so that goerge would get off...
      Think about it, charge him with 2nd degree murder so that blacks will be satisfied and knowing full well that there is no way he will ever get a conviction. Not only that but im sure rick scott didnt appreciate Obama butting into his "state" of affairs when he said the crap about looking like his kid... anyway well played rick scott.

April 23, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • doc

probably

April 23, 2012 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  3. FromBelow

"This was the most-liked comment:"

Are you kidding me? Someone uses a bunch of sock puppets to artificially inflate a comment's likes and you report it like it's credible?

April 21, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. nannypoo

GZ will purger himself on the stand the guy can't keep his story straight,he's gonna kill his own credibilaty.GZ says it was him yelling on 911 call (he 1st said to detectives teen had his hand over GZ mouth)trayvon chased him around his vehicle(how was he killed between apartments) GZ brother says he almost unconscous how was he wrestling the gun away,furthermore he couldn't remember some things he said the night he MURDERED trayvon,GZ is scared NOW because he knows hes GOING TO PRISON FOR LIFE he is fair game he will have to testify and he is gonna look like a real NUTCASE justice for trayvon martin will prevail

April 21, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. MargeLu

I agree with those who say this is a no win for anyone. Why do some feel they need to "hang" Zimmerman publically before all the evidence is presented? It is, without question, a tragedy when an innocent and unarmed person is shot and killed particularly a kid. Everyone can agree on that. However, let's not out of emotion determine guilt or innocence. Could the public be rushing to a conclusion in a similar manner as Mr. Zimmerman may have? What if all the energy being expended could be used toward something positive? What do you think you would do if in the same situation as Martin or Zimmerman? Remember perception is reality, although not an excuse. In other words perhaps fear is closer to Zimmerman's motives than hatred or racism. Let's trust and watch the U.S. justice system.

This case may bring forward things that need to be changed. Other factors to consider besides gun control is the amount of gratuitous violence present in our entertainment today whether in movies, gaming systems, or online. Are we back to the days of the wild west?

April 21, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. dazzle ©

@bobcat(iah) leave it to you to have some great ones for this blog. Thank you!! FWIW, it is the real @dazzle on all of these;-). Hope your work night went smoothly. Maybe you can pull a cat joke out of your hat tomorrow for my TORI.

April 21, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. banasy ©

No....I don't think so either.

April 21, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bubba

If Zimmerman wasn't walking around Wiff a gun rayvon might still be here for his birfday aks crump

April 21, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • franklovesfl

If Trayvon hadn't been suspended for drugs, or attacking a smaller man, he MIGHT be alive today. Unless the next house he broke into had an armed owner in it.

April 23, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

dazzle would never write that way.

April 21, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • banasy ©

Good afternoon, JIF.
      Dazzle is in blue, but maybe they are getting more clever.

April 21, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

The dazzle troll comments to which I referred have been removed. Now my post follows a comment actually written by dazzle.
      Oh, well–you try to do the right thing.

April 21, 2012 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@bobcat(iah) I printed the Elmo joke out on card stock and put it on her bed. She will love it. I've been looking all over for her Elmo doll and want to get a little creative with the sewing machine, fabric, and marbles. Less than 12 hours and she will be home. She will crack up at the poem with your user name attached.

April 21, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

@ dazzle

My response is above on reply to me.

April 21, 2012 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Torn Meniscus Left

You are all full of it on this blog except for the joking cat. Thank you sir!

April 21, 2012 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. bobcat (in a hat) ©

@ dazzle

Always a pleasure dear lady. I will definitely find something special for Tori. Be sure to show her the one about Elmo. That one really cracks me up.

April 21, 2012 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. banasy ©

Thanks, N.S.!!! :)

April 21, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. dazzle ©

The highjacker of my name at 4:58pm is not me.

April 21, 2012 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. dazzle ©

@banasy and @Joey, the remaining ones are me. At least Mary's racist comments have been removed. The way it looks now, it sounds like I am having a rant with myself. Thanks for keeping an eye out.

April 21, 2012 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Mary

I think we're all conscious of the fact, that these *highjackers* make for a confounding atmosphere.

April 21, 2012 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Mary

@ dazzle ©, Any racist comment you see is obviously NOT mine... banasy can confirm this.

April 21, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • dazzle ©

@Mary, then it looks like someone was making horrible comments under your name.

April 21, 2012 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Hi, Ladies.
      I can most definitely confirm that Mary hasn't a racist bone in her body, and it was the same person who stole neary everybody's name that posted that.
      Mary would *never* have said that!

April 21, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |