Overheard on CNN.com: Trayvon Martin case 'no-win situation' for all parties?
George Zimmerman testified, along with his wife and parents, at a bail hearing Friday in Sanford, Florida.
April 20th, 2012

Overheard on CNN.com: Trayvon Martin case 'no-win situation' for all parties?

Some new details emerged from the hearing during which a Florida judge set a $150,000 bond for George Zimmerman. Readers have been assessing the information, and they're telling us they aren't quite sure what to make of the Trayvon Martin case. Since some of the most critical information in the case has not been released publicly, it's difficult to make a judgment. Many of our commenters felt that both Zimmerman and Martin's stories are sad.

More details about Zimmerman emerge during bond hearing

This was the most-liked comment:

W0ofie:
"1. Overzealous. 2. Rash. 3. Naive. 4. Foolish.

Four words that describe Zimmerman. This case doesn't meet the standard for murder, it probably meets the standard for manslaughter. I do not believe Zimmerman intended on shooting anyone, I do beleive that his actions were sufficient for Trayvon Martin to feel threatened. Very sad, Zimmerman thought Trayvon was a criminal, Martin thought Zimmerman intended him harm. One is dead and one has ruined his life. Should have just let the cops handle it. Thanks to the NRA pushing laws that Law Enforcement Officers have repeatedly opposed because of this exact reason we now have one life ended and one life ruined. I can empathize with both, I am sure that will (anger) a few of you."

The replies were along similar lines, with this reader saying no one wins from the situation.

userjoe9066: "Very well worded, pretty much matches up with what I feel right now, it's just a no win situation even if they public gets what they want and Zimmerman gets hung or whatever happens to him it won't bring back Trayvon, there really is no winner in this situation. Hope it works out somehow though. I empathize with both sides."

This person said they fear "Stand Your Ground" laws, but don't know what to make of the case.

KellyinMN: "I can't say whether second degree murder or manslaughter is more appropriate, since I don't have access to all the evidence, just as you don't. With that said, I agree that I can sympathize with both (I can't empathize since I've never been shot or shot someone). It's a very sad situation which likely could have been prevented had the NRA not been allowed to push their dangerous laws. They tried passing a "Stand Your Ground" law similar to Florida's in Minnesota, but our law makers took law enforcements concerns and chose to only allow for the SYG type force in your home, car, RV, and tent (camping). I applaud their restraint and am proud they didn't bow to the NRA like so many other states have."

What information makes the difference in this case?

wodley: "We cannot pass judgment now whether it's manslaughter or not before knowing all the facts. The important thing is to prove forensically whether Zimmerman shot Martin while his head was being slammed on the concrete or whether he shot him from a distance. If it's the first, then it's self-defense. If it's the second, then it's second-degree murder."

This reader said they feel a second-degree murder charge is too much.

caliconor: "I agree with the original poster. I think Zimmerman was foolish, but he wasn't out to kill anyone. He was out doing a service for the community and was attacked. It sucks that someone died, but this was one of these circumstances where everything went wrong and it did. He's guilty of manslaughter, not murder. Wrongful dead lawsuit? More than likely. But 2nd degree murder? That's pretty ridiculous."

This is only a portion of the conversation that took place. What do you think? Share your opinion in the comments area below and in the latest stories on CNN.com. Or sound off on video via CNN iReport.

Post by:
Filed under: Florida • Justice • Overheard on CNN.com • Trayvon Martin • U.S.
  1. bobcat (in a hat) ©

@ dazzle

Giving that Elmo doll some extra, shall we say, substance, is a brilliant idea. Make sure TORI is sitting down when you give her that and the joke so she doesn't hit the floor.

April 21, 2012 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. bobcat (in a hat) ©

@ FlightNurse

In your comment you made many ubstantiated claims. Such as, He circled around to confont Zimmerman, He laid his hand upon Zimmerman. How do you know these things ? Were you there when all of this took place. Isn't it probable that if Zimmerman had followed the instructions of the 911 dispatcher and not followed the young man that night, that the confrontation would not have taken place ? You are correct though, this is not a race thing. This is a matter of Zimmerman overstepping his boundaries.
    And as far as his style of dress, I'm a white man in his sixties and I where hoodies. Does this mean that I should be profiled too ?

April 21, 2012 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. dazzle ©

@bobcat(iah), I found the doll and I thought 6 marbles would really add some junk, so to speak. When she goes to bed, I will be downstairs just waiting for the peals of laughter that will erupt. She will be home much earlier than expected. She lands at ORD at 6pm and then onto home at 7:30 and actually arrives here at 7:30. Her Dad as expected changed up the flight plans but at least I don't have to do a 4hour round trip drive to Phoenix, not that I would mind a bit.

April 21, 2012 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • banasy©

OMG, that is too funny!
      TORI will crack up!
      What ta welcome home!

April 21, 2012 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

@ dazzle

That is going to be priceless. I wish I could be there to see her face. Let me know.

April 21, 2012 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. dazzle ©

This response is not from Mary. To the real Mary, I apologize for arguing with your troll or hijacker that is posting these racist comments under your name.

April 21, 2012 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. dazzle ©

not me at 7:52

April 21, 2012 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. @Fake Mary

Isn't Irish Mick redundant? What are you, 12? Does your mommy know you're playing on her computer?

April 21, 2012 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. bobcat (in a hat)©

I want you banasy, I've been in love with you since the very first.

April 21, 2012 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. banasy ©

What a lovely name, Daffle...what nationality is that?
    Or is troll yur nationality?

You've clered the room.
    Hope you're a happy jacker.

April 21, 2012 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Edith Bunker

Be quiet, Archie!

April 21, 2012 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Edith Bunker

Can't even spell that right, can you, Archie?

April 21, 2012 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Weezie

You so racist archie, meathead

April 21, 2012 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Uncle Tom

If I had a dog he would look like Cisco.

April 21, 2012 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. TvNyC

Wait banasy is a woman? umm im in love with her two.

April 22, 2012 at 2:28 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. TvNyC

Banasyyyyyy....hello there. As far as the case, I think its sad for both parties. God luck to everybody. Trayvon is in heaven where he will meet his family again later. Life is short. This is what I think. Manslaughter. This is also what I think the really good folks that die, descend to heaven. Straight to God and serve God to prepare for the decently good people who love their families and cherrish God. The people that do bad and die still hang around but never pass the gates of heaven until all other people in his/her life. In other words they are not in hell nor heaven but are stuck till their souls becomes sinless. God forgives but you have to start believing for the sake of yourself. This is the time of change. Joy and love is amongst us. We have tk cherrish as we wait for our God to comeback to earth and save us from our sins and most importantly the evil that has developed since Jesus death and ressurrection. Here you have the spiritual side of truth, take it and spread it like virus. Do not let yourself down, instead think way, way before you act and/or react. All will be forgiven, though time will be served, but nothing will be forgotten.

April 22, 2012 at 2:45 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • john

Ahhh helloooo ... descend to heaven? ????? Ooops! Wrong way
      ..lol

April 22, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • doc

YvNyC
      right and santa clause is coming

April 24, 2012 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  15. Scottish Mama

Trayvon was killed by a over zealous maybe neighborhood watch person. He called in and called Trayvon a teen. He showed his distain of Trayvon by Zimmermans profile of him on the 9-1-1 tape, his words will be his albatross. When the verdict comes back at least it will bring out how the prosecutor bungled it or if he saved the real fight for the court. If the prosecutions over extends his charge and loses he is toast as a prosecutor.

April 22, 2012 at 10:53 am | Report abuse | Reply