Earth Day by the numbers
Earth Day is Sunday, April 22.
April 21st, 2012

Earth Day by the numbers

Happy Earth Day, everybody! More than a billion people in 192 countries take part in Earth Day activities, according to Earth Day network.

By the numbers:

4.43 – Pounds of "municipal solid waste" generated per person in the United States each day in 2010.

34.1 – Percent of "municipal solid waste" that ends up getting recycled.

43,271.4 – Percent change in CO2 emissions in Namibia since 1980, the highest in the world. (Not a typo!)

55.43 tonnes – CO2 emissions per capita in Qatar for 2007, the highest in the world.

5 – Percent of Americans who are vegetarian.

16,500 – Number of "Energy Star" certified buildings in the United States.

6 – Cities in California on the list of Top 25 Cities in the United States with the most "Energy Star" certified buildings.

8 – Cities in California in the Top 10 on the list of the Most Ozone-Polluted Cities in the United States.

7 – Number of different SPI Resin Identification codes for recycling on plastic goods.

39 – States with laws regulating the use of these codes on 16 oz bottles.

35 – Percent of hybrid car owners who buy another hybrid when they get a new car.

2.4 – Percent of the "new vehicle market" claimed by hybrid cars in 2011.

81 – Percent who switched regular light bulbs with energy-efficient compact fluorescent bulbs.

70 - Percent who use reusable grocery bags instead of plastic or paper bags at the store.

1.2 million – Homes in the United States that use solar power.

Post by:
Filed under: Earth
  1. portland tony

Lists are nice. It gives PhD's and interns something to discuss while the rest try to survive.

April 21, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  2. bobcat (in a hat) ©

Mrs. Davidson's dishwasher quit working, so she called a Repairman. He couldn't accommodate her with an evening appointment, and, since she had to go to work the next day, she told him: "I'll leave the key under the mat. Fix the dishwasher, leave the bill on the counter, and I'll mail you the check. By the way, don't worry about my Doberman. He won't bother you. But, whatever you do, not under any circu mstances talk to my parrot!"

When the repairman arrived at Mrs. Davidson's apartment the next day, he discovered the biggest and meanest looking doberman he had ever seen. But, just like she had said, the dog just lay there on the carpet, watching the repairman go about his business.

However, the whole time he was there, the parrot drove him nuts with his incessant cursing, yelling, and name-calling. Finally the repairman couldn't stand it any longer and yelled: "Shut up, you stupid ugly bird!"

To which the parrot replied: "Get him, Spike!

April 21, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

Thank you so very much bobcat... I rarely laugh these days. have a great weekend :)

April 21, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  3. saywhat

@portland tony
    well said.
    Do wars & their aftermath contribute to pollution in any manner?
    During Iraq war, reports came out (immediately suppressed) of nuclear tipped artillery shells used all over the place and their long lasting effects on habitat.

April 21, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  4. saywhat

@bobcat

Good one. Thanks

April 21, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mary

@ saywhat, I just had to let you know about 1 among a few strange dreams I had last night.
    In one of the them I dreamed I found out that you word in the same building as me. LOL
    Even stranger was that my cat had a litter of kittens ... My MALE cat ! Ewwwww

April 21, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mary

* work, rather

April 21, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mary

I dreamt, Tom was actually a human being!

April 21, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  8. 34.3

% of everything produced in the world consumed by US citizens. (slightly higher if you include illegal immigrants illegal consumtion of legal goods)

April 21, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  9. point zero zero zero 1%

How much smaller Al Gore's carbon footprint became the day he began driving a Toyota Prius.

April 21, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mary

I know, those that speak the loudest do the most damage...eh?

April 21, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  11. 34.3

*consumption.

April 21, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Mary

That was chiming in agreement with you

April 21, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  13. bobcat (in a hat) ©

@ Mary

Just a little humor to get Saturday started. I hope this laughter I created for you will be the beginning of much more for you. It does a body good.

April 21, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mary

:) Thank you friend

April 21, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  15. banasy ©

I do not why the post came out that way.
    My apologies.
    I must have hit copy all instead of just copy.

April 21, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |