Earth Day by the numbers
Earth Day is Sunday, April 22.
April 21st, 2012

Earth Day by the numbers

Happy Earth Day, everybody! More than a billion people in 192 countries take part in Earth Day activities, according to Earth Day network.

By the numbers:

4.43 – Pounds of "municipal solid waste" generated per person in the United States each day in 2010.

34.1 – Percent of "municipal solid waste" that ends up getting recycled.

43,271.4 – Percent change in CO2 emissions in Namibia since 1980, the highest in the world. (Not a typo!)

55.43 tonnes – CO2 emissions per capita in Qatar for 2007, the highest in the world.

5 – Percent of Americans who are vegetarian.

16,500 – Number of "Energy Star" certified buildings in the United States.

6 – Cities in California on the list of Top 25 Cities in the United States with the most "Energy Star" certified buildings.

8 – Cities in California in the Top 10 on the list of the Most Ozone-Polluted Cities in the United States.

7 – Number of different SPI Resin Identification codes for recycling on plastic goods.

39 – States with laws regulating the use of these codes on 16 oz bottles.

35 – Percent of hybrid car owners who buy another hybrid when they get a new car.

2.4 – Percent of the "new vehicle market" claimed by hybrid cars in 2011.

81 – Percent who switched regular light bulbs with energy-efficient compact fluorescent bulbs.

70 - Percent who use reusable grocery bags instead of plastic or paper bags at the store.

1.2 million – Homes in the United States that use solar power.

Post by:
Filed under: Earth
  1. Umbrage©

Somebody is taking bobcat with me... ;)

April 21, 2012 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

Girl you are crazy. You just made spray my soda everywhere.

April 21, 2012 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I'm glad I could make you smile for a change...

April 21, 2012 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  2. raven

Hey bobcat!! Umbrage is a good word, it does roll off the tongue...I read a study that some linguists did in the nineties.They asked a group of people that didn't speak english what THEY thought was the prettiest word in the english language was. The winner?? Diarrhea. No kidding.

April 21, 2012 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. raven

Well, at least youre spraying SODA....

April 21, 2012 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. raven

Or spraying anywhere...

April 21, 2012 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. raven

And, while I've got your attention bobcat, your jokes always make me smile. Always.

April 21, 2012 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. chrissy

Lmao told you i was getting frustrated with cnn! And they HAD been my #l choice for news for several years but over the past few months theyve takin a serious nosedive. And please bobcat, the rest of us appreciate your humor! Keep em comming!

April 21, 2012 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

@ chrissy

As long as I can hock a furball, I'll keep spitting them out.

April 21, 2012 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

@bc(iah)©:
      You certainly paint a vivid portrait with words....yuck!
      How about just telling them? Lol.....

April 21, 2012 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

Sorry for the graphic nature of that attempt at humor. My brain is getting tired and i'm losing my edge.

April 21, 2012 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I was just kidding, Rawr.
      It fit perfectly with the rest of our conversation.

April 21, 2012 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  7. dazzle©

Good Evening All, dare I ask if the trolls are finished with their nonsense.

April 21, 2012 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

As long as you're not the troll of dazzle, I'd say yes.

April 21, 2012 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

What bobcat said.

April 21, 2012 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  8. dazzle©

No this is the real dazzle @bobcat (iah), my baby is home and 3 of her friends are here. So I had to take Elmo out of her room for now. I didn't expect to have 4 teenagers here tonight.

April 21, 2012 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

@ dazzle

Sorry for doubting you, but one can not be too careful nowadays. I know you are totally beside yourself having your baby home. Did you mention that today was her B-day ?

April 21, 2012 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

@dazzle ©:
      Save that treat for later, lol....you wouldn't want to offend their delicate sensibilities.

April 21, 2012 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

Pool party @ dazzle ©'s!!

April 21, 2012 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. dazzle©

@bobcat(iah), @banasy, and @chrissy, no her birthday is next weekend. I know how we can't be too careful. @banasy, come on over, these teens are already carrying on.

April 21, 2012 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. banasy©

They deleted chrissy's post where she complained about her troll.
    So your answer to her got bumped.

April 22, 2012 at 12:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. banasy©

I'm of to hit the sheets.
    It's my grandaughter debut as baby Wendy in the dance production of Peter Pan that my older daughter dances in also.
    My older daughter plays Shmee.
    She's a riot every year! So, so funny.
    Good night, all!

April 22, 2012 at 12:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • dazzle©

Good Night @banasy and have a great time at the play.

April 22, 2012 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  13. chrissy

Nope it didnt get deleted, but the awaiting moderation did! Yay! HELLO TORI, we have missed you girl!

April 22, 2012 at 12:58 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. dmnewsi

Oh my God! We'd all better go jump off a cliff!

April 22, 2012 at 12:59 am | Report abuse | Reply