Earth Day by the numbers
Earth Day is Sunday, April 22.
April 21st, 2012

Earth Day by the numbers

Happy Earth Day, everybody! More than a billion people in 192 countries take part in Earth Day activities, according to Earth Day network.

By the numbers:

4.43 – Pounds of "municipal solid waste" generated per person in the United States each day in 2010.

34.1 – Percent of "municipal solid waste" that ends up getting recycled.

43,271.4 – Percent change in CO2 emissions in Namibia since 1980, the highest in the world. (Not a typo!)

55.43 tonnes – CO2 emissions per capita in Qatar for 2007, the highest in the world.

5 – Percent of Americans who are vegetarian.

16,500 – Number of "Energy Star" certified buildings in the United States.

6 – Cities in California on the list of Top 25 Cities in the United States with the most "Energy Star" certified buildings.

8 – Cities in California in the Top 10 on the list of the Most Ozone-Polluted Cities in the United States.

7 – Number of different SPI Resin Identification codes for recycling on plastic goods.

39 – States with laws regulating the use of these codes on 16 oz bottles.

35 – Percent of hybrid car owners who buy another hybrid when they get a new car.

2.4 – Percent of the "new vehicle market" claimed by hybrid cars in 2011.

81 – Percent who switched regular light bulbs with energy-efficient compact fluorescent bulbs.

70 – Percent who use reusable grocery bags instead of plastic or paper bags at the store.

1.2 million – Homes in the United States that use solar power.

Post by:
Filed under: Earth
  1. Moon

You tawkin ta me? You MUST be tawkin ta me, I'm the only moon here...

April 22, 2012 at 3:35 am | Report abuse |
  2. raven

That was me, I couldn't resist....

April 22, 2012 at 3:37 am | Report abuse |
  3. tomasluque

The World most beautiful of the Universe , created by GOD which , almost nobody believe in him today , He will come soon to establish his Kingdom for ever and everybody will be witness his coming .

April 22, 2012 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
    • You fail

Keep believing in this crap. If god was real why can't any of the tales in the bible be proven real?

April 22, 2012 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  4. McGuffin

Interesting stats, but one question: what does being a vegetarian have to do with Earth Day? If this is about supporting agriculture and methane emissions, I'm sorry to say dudes, humans are omnivores. You can't change that fact; we biologically need protein and are built to consume meat as part of our diet.

April 22, 2012 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Patrick

Epic Fail. Raising animals for meat uses far more resources (water/food/land) than does just eating plant materials. Being a vegetarian/vegan is one of the most earth friendly things you can do. Sorry to say dude but being an omnivore does not mean we need to eat meat. We can if we want but I've survived with out it for 20 years. I look and feel ten years younger than I am. My cholesterol and blood pressure are fantastically low. And one last thing.....If people used their natural abilities to evolve beyond treating other animals as a resource and acted with compassion we might find we treat each other better as well.

April 22, 2012 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Luca B

While I'm not vegetarian myself, people who are have a much smaller impact on the environment. This is mostly due to the amount of energy put into growing feed for livestock and the huge amounts of fertilizer needed to grow corn (more corn is grown for cattle than for humans in the US). Add to that the significant amounts of manure produced by livestock and you have a very significant environmental impact.

And as far as omnivores go, most omnivores in nature (see: Bears) have a diet that is chiefly vegetarian which can be supplemented by meat.

April 22, 2012 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  5. Farmer Brown

With the way the hens were going at it here last night, doubt we'll be seeing many eggs being layed here this morning. Plus roosters confused as hens don't lay eggs. They tell jokes. 🙂

April 22, 2012 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

The first thing you say when you come on here is a snarky one?
      Good morning to you too.

April 22, 2012 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  6. saywhat

@ Mary
    Are you there? Sorry I missed your 'dream' post yesterday.
    As long as these dreams make you get up bright & chirpy I,m happy.Wishing you well.
    Good morning all.

April 22, 2012 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  7. Mary

@ Farmer Brown, Hehehe 🙂
    I haven't seen all of bobcat (in a hat) © jokes, but the ones I did see were well worth being posted
    🙂 Thanks again bobcat ... and maybe you could leave a list of were I could find all of them, so I can C/P for myself.

April 22, 2012 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  8. Mary

Yes, I'm here saywhat. What's on your agenda for today?

April 22, 2012 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
    • saywhat

Not much going today it seems.A lazy Sunday @ Mary
      See y'all. Have a good one.

April 22, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Have nice day, saywhat.

April 22, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Farmer Brown

@tomas. I believe it says that God stays in heaven and he sends his son again. Remember? What happened last time his son was sent?

God himself? The earth barely rates as his footstool, and only then on his word; "The heavens are my throne [says God], and the earth is my footstool. Where, then, is the house that you people can build for me, and where, then, is the place as a resting place for me?"..."To THIS one, then, I shall look, to the one afflicted...and trembling at my word."
    "The one slaughtering the bull is as one striking down a man. The one sacrificing sheep is as one breaking the back of a dog. The one offering a gift – the blood of a pig. The one presenting a memorial of frankincence is as one saying a blessing with uncanny words. They are also the ones who have CHOSEN their own ways, and in their disgusting things...have taken delight. I [God] myself, in turn, shall choose ways of ill-treating them, and the things frightful to them I shall bring upon them; (cont)

April 22, 2012 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  10. Farmer Brown (cont)

...for the reason that [God] called, but there was no one answering; [God] spoke, but there were none that listened; and they kept on doing what was bad in [God's] eyes, and the thing in which [God] took no delight they CHOSE." -God, as quoted by Isaiah 66:1-4 (to those who chose to love God, his first-born son Jesus, his good angels, and his children, (not to mention loving your enemies) pls. continue reading through v. 5. ty)

April 22, 2012 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  11. Farmer Brown (cont)

*choose to love God, rather. 🙂

April 22, 2012 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  12. Farmer Brown is none other than me.

Philip! Gm Mary. Howdy, saywhat. 🙂

April 22, 2012 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
    • saywhat

Howdy yosself @ Farmer Brown.
      Enjoy your Sunday.

April 22, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Philip

...and, no offense, bobcat. Your jokes are funny even if they are yours. If they aren't, "never mind."-Gloria Radner R.I.P.

April 22, 2012 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  14. Philip

It takes about 6-8 times as much water to process red meat as it does poultry. If you really want to conserve water, eat more poultry and seafood, less red meat.

April 22, 2012 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  15. Philip

@Luca B. I'll vouch for that. (bears being vegetarians) They are. They even eat slugs and worms and bugs. Carnivor? You betcha. Especially when there are cubs to feed. But like T-Rex, a scavenger/opportunistic hunter misclassified as an apex predator, so-too has the image of a bear been altered in the eyes of men. 'Specially 'men' under the influence of mind-altering pharmaceuticals who have but little choice to adopt as their own the imagees and sounds they just recieved from their *boob tubes*. (why we called them boob tubes to begin with)

April 22, 2012 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |