April 23rd, 2012

George Zimmerman released on bond

George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watch volunteer charged with murder in the February death of Trayvon Martin, has been released on bail from a Florida jail.

Zimmerman walked out of the John E. Polk Correctional Facility in Sanford, Florida, around midnight Sunday, wearing a brown jacket and blue jeans and carrying a brown paper bag in his arms. He got into the back of a white BMW and did not speak to reporters.

It was not immediately known where he was headed.

The Seminole County Sheriff's Office said Zimmerman was fitted with an electronic monitoring device, which can keep tabs on his whereabouts in real time.

Over the weekend, his lawyer had said Zimmerman could remain behind bars until the middle of this week due to concerns about collecting enough funds for his bond, which was set at $150,000.

With the 10% cash payment customarily made to secure bond, Zimmerman's family needed $15,000 for him to make bail.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Crime • U.S.
  1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

"It was not immediately known where he was headed," CNN reports, but don't worry: we know what he was wearing and have a description of Zimmerman's getaway car.
    We've all seen his face.
    Was the intention to start the chase to lynch him? Of course not.
    Publish his present location as soon as possible.
    That way he'll be sure to get Justice.
    Boy, he deserves it! Profiling, indeed!

April 23, 2012 at 8:30 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. banasy©

I'm sure he's smart enough to change his clothes and obtain a different car.
    Witch hunts aren't good, but neither is pre-determining guilt or innocence...I'll wait for the trial, and suspend pre-conceived notions of the general public until I can make my own informed opinion based on the evidence, and not the racial aspect of profiling and the emotion over the SYG law.

April 23, 2012 at 9:20 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Scottish Mama

CNN did not post my post. I will pick it apart to see why. I said Zimmermans did not report the threats to police.

April 23, 2012 at 10:56 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Scottish Mama

Trayvon Martin had on a hoodie the night he was killed. George Zimmerman had on a white t-shirt and a blue and red jacket when he came into the police station. I was wondering if he had his jacket on when the police arrived at the scene or if they let him put it on before they left the scene. A call into dispatch states the person on top had a white t-shirt on.

April 23, 2012 at 10:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • banasy©

Good Morning Mama.
      I have wondered the same thing.
      That being said, what color was the hoodie?
      I cannot imagine that a t-shirt could be mistaken for a hoodie, but even so...
      There are too many different aspects to this case.

April 23, 2012 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  5. Scottish Mama

The final bit they did not post was @banasy-agreed we should wait to judge by evidence in the court. But you know how we are amateur CSI's on here. Picking it apart as we get each morsel is our amateur blogging job.lol

April 23, 2012 at 11:03 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Scottish Mama

@banasy- I believe they said the hoodie was gray. I believe it was also a dark rainy night and thus no stars probably were out. I think this will be a trial I will keep tabs on. I think the mother and father of Trayvon wants to know what happened to their son. It is a gut wrenching time for the families. Hopefully the trial will have evidence of guillt or innocence. I just hope they collected enough pictures and evidence at the scene and all witnesses have come forward to put the pieces together to get the clear picture of the actual confrontation.

April 23, 2012 at 11:37 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • banasy©

@Mama:
      I sincerely hope that the evidence techs actually did their jobs...or as much as the police let them.
      Given that SPD just kind off took GZ's word about what transpired, I wonder how much CSI evidence they actually *have*.

April 23, 2012 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  7. Scottish Mama

@banasy-it did seem like an open and shut case with them letting him go after 5 hours at the police station. I just hope they took pictures and the police remember what each were wearing. It may come down to witnesses and memory.
    Have a great day banasy!

April 23, 2012 at 11:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • banasy©

Me, too.
      You, too.

April 23, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

This is a case where I do not completely trust anybody involved.
    "Anybody" means "anybody."
    I would have to see hard evidence to know what actually happened, and such evidence can be devised or arranged, as in the OJ case. Once the police tampered there, I was on OJ's side, whether he was guilty or innocent: he became, to me, "not guilty."
    My distrust here is of the Special Prosecutor, Trayvon's family, Zimmerman, Al Sharpton, the local police, Trayvon's female friend on the phone, and all the others.
    The fact that I distrust the rabble-rousing media and the involved JFT-T-shirt salespersons as much as I distrust Zimmerman makes me considerably Incorrect Politically, because what's exclusively acceptable (in public) about this case is "Justice For Trayvon."
    Not either side has one Mother Teresa on its team. I wouldn't rush to take Communion with any of them.
    Sorry. I remember Tawana Brawley.

April 23, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Al Day

CNN only posts replies that meet their biased criteria. So if you favor law and order forget trying to post on CNN.

April 23, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Al Day

My earlier post was "discarded" by CNN because it wasn't in keeping with the "party line".

April 23, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. A~Team

GZ father is a judge, which means GZ father is a mason, which means the Martin family will lose, because the judge on the case is a mason. End result not guilty

April 23, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Al Day

My earlier post brought up the insane way that this case has been persued by the power hungry likes of Al Sharpton and company calling for mob justice including rewards for the demise of Zimmerman. If this post doesn't appear I'll know that CNN is a tool of the political correct-party line mob.

April 23, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Al Day

Remember how wrong the "mob" was in the Tawana Brawley case and the NC lacrosse players case??? Al Sharpton is a charlatan of major magnitude.

April 23, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Scottish Mama

touche' Joey. But when the facts and the evidence to the jury will decide comes out, we will get a clearer picture. We are all just "anybody" and what we think does not matter in the scheme of things. Focusing on facts and evidence does.
    Does anyone know the clothing of Zimmerman and Martin?

April 23, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

Scottish Mama mentioned "evidence of guilt or innocence" at the trial.
    I know that she is aware of this, but many Americans, churned into hysteria by the media, are too uneducated and irrational to realize that "evidence," or proof, of "innocence" is not required at any trial, even at this one.
    Proof of guilt is what is required.
    It is now the burden of the prosecution to prove that Zimmerman is guilty of murder.
    Zimmerman does not have to prove, even to the Rev. Sharpton, that he is innocent.

April 23, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply