Gotta Watch: Devoted dogs
Spot remains loyal to the memory of his master, Wayne Giroux even though Giroux has been dead for more than a year.
April 23rd, 2012

Gotta Watch: Devoted dogs

Few bonds are stronger than the one between a dog and its master. In fact, the second most popular video last week was a piece by CNN's Jeanne Moos that shows just that. It got us thinking about some of our other favorite videos showing just how devoted man's best friend can be. You've Gotta Watch these loyal pets.

Man's best friend is dog's best friend, too

Dogs are not only man's best friend, they're pretty loyal to each other, as well. CNN's Jeanne Moos found several dogs whose devotion is simply amazing. Watch the video to see acts of canine heroism like you've never seen before.

Dog mourns loss of Navy SEAL

One of the more touching displays of a dog's devotion happened in August 2011. While family and friends mourned the death of Navy SEAL Jon Tumilson, his dog did, too. Watch the video to see what happened.

Dog remains faithful to dead owner

Many of you responded to the story of Wayne Giroux and his dog, Spot. Giroux died in 2010. Watch this video to see how Spot showed his love for his owner months after he died.

Post by:
Filed under: Dogs
  1. BinaryTruth

Dogs are the best species on earth. They've been trying to teach us humility, love, compassion and loyalty for thousands of years – but us humans are slow learners.

April 23, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • alice

I agree 100%. I have two beautiful dogs and they are my world. My boys are family!!

April 23, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dog Lover

Well put and so so true!

April 23, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • doglover

I am glad I read your comment today. It is so nice to see someone express the same feelings I have about dogs. They are the best species created on this earth. I have had dogs all my life (10 dogs so far all living until old age). This morning I was in the kitchen having a conversation with a family member but when I was talking, I thought I kept hearing this knocking sound far away....and the next time heard it again and it wasn't from outside, definitely inside the house and it seemed to be coming from down the hall in the bedroom. So I spoke again and deduced it was my big boy wagging his tail under the bed every time he heard my voice in the conversation..so I walked down there to see if it was him and it was : ). The magnitude of how much he loves me in the things I see him do, just brings tears to my eyes. And I love him dearly. I always find myself thinking the same things and telling others. As I walked away after spending time with him, once again I thought....is even possible for a human to love the way they love us. I have a very special bond and at times I don't how will I be without him in my life. Sad, if only they lived longer!! So I enjoy and cherish every day, giving lots of love and doing fun things while he still can. Don't let time slip away!

April 23, 2012 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  2. loyalty is not always earned

Dogs are indeed incredibly loyal. We humans, on the other hand, are unworthy of that devotion. Ever surrendered an animal to the shelter or abandoned one elsewhere? Yes, I'm referring to you.

People are not owners of living creatures but they can be stewards or guardians. Please stop using the word "owner". Slavery is over.

April 23, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  3. spence

Dogs teach us much.

April 23, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Glenn

Screw this idea that man was created in God's image, I think dogs must have been created in God's image.......

April 23, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sara N.

Excellent comment.

April 23, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • doglover

LOL, I think you are right!

April 23, 2012 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  5. noodles

Cats are good too. They are fun because there is still a lot of wild animal in them. My 2 little friends think they are big ferocious tigers on the prowl. Plus cats don't poop on the floor.

April 23, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • noodles

I really do love dogs. Cats are just so easy to take care of. They almost take care of themselves. Mew.

_^_^_
      ..0..0..
      ==u==
      ....0....

April 23, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

Ya but you'll never see stories like the ones above regarding cats. Dogs know when your sad, happy or sick. A dog is the only thing in this world that will love you more than it loves itself. I like cats as well, but IMHO, there is no comparison, dogs all the way!

April 23, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • ohsnap

No, they just have urine and sprays that stink so much you can't get rid of the smell.

April 23, 2012 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  6. freeme10

Very touching stories. My dog is one of the most important beings in my life. If you are inspired by this video, or have a dog of your own, try to contribute to a local pet shelter. Lot's of good dogs out there who were left behind by undeserving people.

April 23, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • JonfromLI

"undeserving people". I couldn't have said it better myself.

April 23, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Shalayla

I would much rather spend time with my daughters (dogs) than with other people. Enough said.
    My girls are my life!

April 23, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Lanfear

<3 Buppies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

April 23, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Tony

Dog spelled backward is God. I've always felt mine was a gift. He's my best friend.

April 23, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • doglover

: ), mine is my best friend too! I find it very interesting how Dog is God spelled backwards...can't be a coincidence.

April 23, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Tammy

Anyone ever watch Hachi w/Richard Gere? It's based on a true story, and it will break your heart while also putting warmth and a smile inside it....

April 23, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fiona

@ Tammy - I am as big a dog lover as anyone, and I could not get through that film. The people were just too self-absorbed. The dog was mistreated (that crate...are you joking?). I cannot tolerate films where the humans are such idiots.

April 23, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Me

Dogs are the absolute best. They are amazing.... :)

April 23, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  12. banasy©

I love my dogs.

April 23, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  13. JonfromLI

Damn "like" button not working for this article. There's plenty of comments in here that I wholeheartedly agree with.

April 23, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Fiona

It's cruel to not do something to help Spot learn a new replacement behavior, rather than letting her sit by the highway all day. You can anthropomorphize all you want ( too often, people find meanings in animal behaviors that feed their egos or their needs), but it doesn't change the fact that she was trained - conditioned - to sit and wait for her person so she could get the reward of his return ( and pats, and feeding). Now the son is rewarding her for waiting for his (stingy) two check-ins per day. Stop thinking of yourself and take the dog on walks away from the highway. Engage her in a game, teach her some tricks, divert her from that pitiful behavior. Stop turning her into a freak show.

April 23, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • NicCo

Fiona, you sound like a bitter person who has never experienced the true love, loyalty, and companionship of a special dog.

When my father passed away, he was buried in the family plot at the edge of the ranch he so loved. His favorite dog lay upon his grave every day for months. Now that is loyalty! Obviously this wasn't a 'conditioned' response since my dad didn't spend time in that area, nor was the dog rewarded for being there. How would you explain that?? Please don't attempt to. I'm sure I wouldn't waste my time reading your pointless response. You just have no understanding of how deep a bond can go.

April 23, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fiona

@nico: how dare you throw hate at someone who is standing up for dogs, as dogs. I have trained dogs for thirty years. People like you, who obviously use their animals to prop themselves up, create neurotic, unhappy dogs. I feel so sorry for yours.

April 23, 2012 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Fiona

In the Moos report, I am left wondering why some horrible person kept filming when the puppy fell (or was is really an accident?) in the pool? Who would keep filming? I suspect it was a set-up to get a viral video. That's really sick.

April 23, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |