Gotta Watch: Devoted dogs
Spot remains loyal to the memory of his master, Wayne Giroux even though Giroux has been dead for more than a year.
April 23rd, 2012

Gotta Watch: Devoted dogs

Few bonds are stronger than the one between a dog and its master. In fact, the second most popular video last week was a piece by CNN's Jeanne Moos that shows just that. It got us thinking about some of our other favorite videos showing just how devoted man's best friend can be. You've Gotta Watch these loyal pets.

Man's best friend is dog's best friend, too

Dogs are not only man's best friend, they're pretty loyal to each other, as well. CNN's Jeanne Moos found several dogs whose devotion is simply amazing. Watch the video to see acts of canine heroism like you've never seen before.

Dog mourns loss of Navy SEAL

One of the more touching displays of a dog's devotion happened in August 2011. While family and friends mourned the death of Navy SEAL Jon Tumilson, his dog did, too. Watch the video to see what happened.

Dog remains faithful to dead owner

Many of you responded to the story of Wayne Giroux and his dog, Spot. Giroux died in 2010. Watch this video to see how Spot showed his love for his owner months after he died.

Post by:
Filed under: Dogs
  1. bobcat (in a hat) ©

A man went to visit his 90-year old grandfather and while eating the breakfast of eggs and bacon prepared for him, he noticed a film-like substance on his plate. So he says, "Grandfather, are these plates clean?"

His grandfather replies, "Those plates are as clean as cold water can get them, so go on and finish your meal."

That afternoon, while eating the hamburgers his grandfather made for lunch, he noticed many little black specks around the edge of his plate, so again he asked, "Grandfather are you sure these plates are clean"?

Without looking up from his burger, the grandfather says, "I told you, those dishes are as clean as coldwater can get them,
    now don't ask me about it anymore."

Later that day, they were on their way out to get dinner. As he was leaving the house, Grandfather's dog, who was lying on
    the floor, started to growl and would not let him pass.
    "Grandfather, your dog won't let me out."

Without diverting his attention from the football game he was watching, his grandfather shouted, "Coldwater, get your butt out of the way!"

April 23, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

You *DO* have one for every occasion!

April 23, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

I thought maybe if I were to stay inside the subject matter, the "moderators" might leave me alone.

April 23, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • TORI ©

Now I am cracking up! Thank you for brightening my day. Elmo says hi and he is showing up in the most unexpected places.

April 23, 2012 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I don't see why they delete your posts and leave the diaper dork to run amok!

April 23, 2012 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

TORI ©:
      I *must* see it! Please tell your mom to send me a picture!
      Puhleeeeeeeze?

April 23, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joi Gibson

That was pretty funny!!

April 23, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

@ TORI©
      Tell Elmo I said hello right back at him. Does he walk funny now ?

April 23, 2012 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Too Funny!!!!

LOL!!!!!!!

April 23, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fiona

Bobcat, that's what we call the pre-wash cycle in our house.

April 23, 2012 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Max in NY

time for a new joke...saw the punch line coming a mile away

April 23, 2012 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  2. DIANA

I couldn't have said it better than these comments. I do believe there's a reason God spelled backwards is Dog. After seeing these videos, I'm going home and give my dogs a big steak after an extra long walk just because they're part of the same family.

April 23, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • bencoates57

There are children in this country who can't afford steak. Shame on you! At least it's comforting to know that recent research links heart disease to red meat consumption.

April 23, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • TORI ©

@bobcat(iah) and @banasy, let's just say that Elmo is richly endowed and heavy. I will tell her @banasy, she left early this morning for a meeting in Windslow. She knew I was cranky and placed Elmo on the counter next to the coffee pot and strategically placed the cup near his marbles. I got a shot of that. You guys have made my day.

April 23, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  3. LOL

Dogs>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>cats

April 23, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  4. dp-ca

I agree. My two dogs are more dedicated to me than I could ever be to them.

April 23, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  5. BOMBO ©

My dog barks some. Mentally, you picture my dog, though I have not told you what type of dog he is.

I've tried that quote before. Sadly, not many David Lynch fans here.

April 23, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Was,t that "Wild At Heart"?

April 23, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • bh

Great Movie, great quote.

Might just watch that tonight

April 23, 2012 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

Monty Python reference!
    Thank you!

April 23, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy©

Ben:
    Why did you click on a link that you *knew* was about a subject you hated?

April 23, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Kriss Greenn

Thank you banasy, I was about to say the same thing. If you hate dogs so much, why did you bother to read/watch the clips. My dog Zorro is not a pain or burden (except for when it rains and I have to walk him) and is often the life of thr party. If he isn't curled up against you sleeping, then he's on the couch or floor sleeping. He's my comic relief some times and my alarm clock. NONE of the dogs I've had have ever got in the way of my relationships and home life like Bencoates57 is complaining about.

April 23, 2012 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Dag

wow thats very cute of you to call people who love dogs for their unconditional love "pathetic". while i dont object to you sharing your horror story, choosing to call people pathetic because they dont feel the same way as you is ridiculous.

April 23, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Alex

I saw a great t-shirt the other day. It said, "I love dogs and tolerate people." I've never met a dog that I didn't like, and can't say the same about people!

April 23, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  11. AKSean

When I think of the day that my 16 year old Rajah left this world, it still brings tears to my eyes and that was more than 2 years ago. He was and will always be my first son. I miss him every day. That's not to say I don't love our new 2 year Malamute. While Rajah brings me tears of loss, Niko solicits smiles of connection. Dogs are awesome.

April 23, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  12. LovinmyPookie

Until 5 years ago, I never "got" it. I made fun of a very dear friend of mine for staying out of work because of a sick dog. Then -along came Pookie! He's the love of my life! First guy I've been able to live with for more than a year without getting sick of cleaning up after and feeding him. I got a rescue girl-lil'bit three years ago and they love each other and me unconditionally. No matter how bad my day...I always smile at their welcome. And yes...I have missed more than 1 day of work because of my Babies being sick. I always said I'd never have a dog in the house, much less let one sleep with me. As the saying goes...Never say never!

April 23, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Roy Savary

Find a dog that will lie, steal, cheat, murder, molest, and I will find some other living thing to replace them. Good luck to the stupid people out there...

April 23, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Christopher Dycha

It is ironic that we try to train and teach our dogs when they have so many benevolent traits that we can learn if we ever pause to allow them to teach us. Christopher Dycha

April 23, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jonathan

We don't need to learn from them. They wouldn't exist if we didn't BREED these traits into them. They are our little frankensteins.

April 23, 2012 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  15. abbydelabbey

A dog offers unconditional love. Most humans do not. A dog will stay with you whether you live in a mansion or are homeless. Many humans will stick with someone who lives in the mansion but not with the fellow who goes homeless. Now tell me who is the "higher" species?

April 23, 2012 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jonathan

You need to be loved unconditionally? You can't respect the needs and values of other human beings to make an effort to EARN their love? You need a machine that dispenses love. You are no better than men who use inflatable women.

April 24, 2012 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |