24 hours through the lens
April 23rd, 2012

The CNN Daily Mash-up

The CNN Daily Mash-up is a roundup of some of the most interesting, surprising, curious, poignant or significant items to appear on CNN.com in the past 24 hours. We'll top it with a collection of the day's most striking photographs. Your comments, as always, are welcome.

Not enough flowers in the world to make up for this

A hunter in Florida accidentally shot his girlfriend when he mistook her for a wild hog, CNN affiliate WKMG in Orlando reports. She's seriously injured. When she recovers, he could be next.

Prosecutor: Edwards chose to break the law

David Harbach, the prosecutor in former presidential candidate John Edwards' criminal trial, didn't hold back Monday in explaining to jurors what Edwards allegedly did:

This affair (with filmmaker Rielle Hunter) was a gamble with exceedingly high stakes. If the affair went public it would have destroyed any chance to become president and he knew it. Two of his most enthusiastic supporters happened to be wealthy, and he knew that, too. He made a choice to accept hundreds of thousands of dollars. He made a choice to break the law.

User comment: We set stage for Edwards affair

In the discussion of John Edwards' illicit affair and the allegedly illegal effort to cover it up, as well as the larger issue of powerful men's seeming inability to keep their trousers zipped, user Kusemono wrote:

Secondary blame for fiascos like this lay squarely with us, the electorate. We have a very strong part in creating a political class that, quite understandably, begins to believe its campaign slogans and rhetoric. Party affiliation is irrelevant. We have created professional politicians for whom image and reality become so intertwined that they cannot be separated. Sen. Edwards probably did all this, and knew of it, but because he believed so many people believed in him, he truly thought he deserved to have everything he wanted. We build these people up to untenable heights and then act shocked when they come crashing down because their character was never what they pretended it to be, or what we wanted to see. He will face the music for his folly, but we are responsible for the political climate that lets campaigns become so foolish.

Video: Man hit with Taser five times dies

An illegal immigrant who was shocked five times by a Border Patrol officer subsequently died. Watch the video and listen to the narrative:

On the horizon: Obama pushes for student loan relief

On Tuesday, President Barack Obama will visit the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and the University of Colorado at Boulder to launch an effort to get Congress to prevent interest rates on student loans from doubling in July. Later he'll appear on NBC's talk show "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon." In a rare meeting of the minds, likely Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney agrees that the student loan rates should remain low.

Post by:
Filed under: CNN Daily Mash-up
  1. Mary

Omg! I coulda forgiven him fur shooting me... but the "wild hog" comment! That guy is Gooooooooone

April 23, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. rox731

The hog comment would have sent him flying the minute I got any strength back.

April 23, 2012 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

Mary, it'll be OK. He can work it out with her.
    "I'm sorry, Honey, I really thought you looked exactly like a wild hog. No, really–I was sure, that's why I shot you. Really. Exactly like a hog."

April 23, 2012 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  4. ericgoestoholland

Seriously how many people have to be accidentally killed by the police for tasers to be taken away as a form of non-lethal force. Not saying that a tool that is debilitating AND non-lethal isn't a good thing; that's exactly the kind of thing they need. I say back to the drawing board on this one....

April 23, 2012 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Iamrightyouarewrong

Why have the dispenser and not keep it full.

April 23, 2012 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Arrest those cops!

Tasers should be banned, prohibited, and criminalized.
    No badge-wearing thug will ever earn the right to torture someone and get away with it in my book.
    And ban pepper spray. It is used to torture people too.

Who are the idiots who decided that torture weapons were okay for a civil law enforcement tool chest?
    Who thought it would be okay to pepper spray children, shoot them with needles that administer an excruciating blast of electricity when they are doing nothing wrong?

I've seen too many videos where these cops just walk around and spray people who aren't doing anything wrong in the face with pepper spray.
    If they can't be trusted to only use it in extreme situations and instead use it most often to bully and torture their victims, then they should never be allowed to use these torture devices and should be arrested for being thugs and bullies.

I haven't even watched this video yet. But I can guess how it will play out, having seen so many similar crimes by bad cops. That's why they don't want to be recorded on video or audio. They know they are breaking the law and that they are thugs – they just don't want too many people knowing about it. Their victims know about it, too.

April 23, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  7. ♚Mmmmm♛

lol...you are soooo bad...lol!

April 23, 2012 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mary

Harley appreciates your advertisement. Gn

April 24, 2012 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Lol....

April 24, 2012 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
  9. Mary

Hello Joey, I had replied to you last night, but it has been deleted.
    II haven't seen this type of humor from you before, I like it. :) lol

April 24, 2012 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  10. bobcat (in a hat) ©

A blonde is on board a small two-seater plane when suddenly the pilot dies. Not knowing how to fly a plane she grabs the radio. "Mayday, Mayday! My pilot just died!" she screams.
    Ground control receives her call for help and answers back: "Don't worry, Madam. I'll talk you down; just do as I say. First I need you to give me your height and position."
    "I'm 5"2' and sitting in the front."

April 24, 2012 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Pete

Bobcat,thanks,ya made my day.Never thought of it that way,LOL!!

April 24, 2012 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Mary

Wrong, I'm 4'11 bobcat... hehe ;)

April 24, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  11. saywhat

@bobcat
    keep'em coming. We need daily doses of this stuff.

April 24, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |