April 24th, 2012

The CNN Daily Mash-up

The CNN Daily Mash-up is a roundup of some of the most interesting, surprising, curious, poignant or significant items to appear on CNN.com in the past 24 hours. We'll top it with a collection of the day's most striking photographs. Your comments, as always, are welcome.

Sanford city manager: We need to know more

Sanford, Florida, is "in limbo" after city leaders rejected the resignation of the police chief in the wake of the Trayvon Martin shooting and investigation, City Manager Norton N. Bonaparte told CNN Tuesday.

Basically, what the city commission said is that they want to have more information. In particular, they want to have the results of an independent investigation that would determine what actually took place that night and how the Sanford Police Department acted. Did they do things that they shouldn't have done, or did they not do things that they should have done?

Video: This is not an action movie

A robbery suspect being chased by police in Los Angeles slows down just enough to pick up a stuntwoman/passenger, but this film will not have a happy ending for them.

Video: This is not a funeral procession

Two New Jersey state troopers who escorted a parade of high-performance cars - Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Porsches, etc. - at speeds in excess of 100 mph have been suspended. Gov. Chris Christie called the stunt "a dumb thing to do," according to the New Jersey Star Ledger, which broke the story.

Local story: Like Jell-O shots, only nastier

Foolhardy teens are beginning to figure out that hand sanitizer is 62% alcohol and have taken to drinking it for a bad-tasting buzz, CNN affiliate KTLA reports. Doctors are warning parents as growing numbers of teens wind up in emergency rooms with alcohol poisoning.

User comment: Extraterrestrial mining full of potential

At least two start-up companies are talking about the possibilities of off-Earth mining, igniting a robust conversation among our science-minded commenters. Here's what Brad had to say:

Interesting. I never thought this would happen in my lifetime, but too cool if they can pull it off. The thing about this is, this will lead to much more innovation that will help with space exploration and navigation, along with new technologies to be used back here on Earth. The potential is amazing. I wish both groups success. I will say this, though: The thought of mining the moon worries me. Right now we have a beautiful bright moon to look at. After decades of intense mining, will the moon's surface become dull?

iReport: Horse gets a leg up in life

iReporter adrian1125 shared video of Cheyenne, a disabled horse, getting used to her new prosthetic leg.

"It's always great to see her kick up her heels on the crisp spring mornings, like any other horse," he said. "We are obviously animal lovers and want the world of horse lovers to know that there are alternatives to putting down a loved pet. Yes, it has been expensive, but well worth doing to see our loved Cheyenne living out a wonderful horse's life."

On the horizon: High Court tackles Arizona immigration law

The U.S. Supreme Court will hear oral arguments Wednesday on Arizona's tough immigration enforcement law. Gov. Jan Brewer has asked the court to lift an injunction that has blocked critical provisions of SB 1070 from taking effect.

Post by:
Filed under: CNN Daily Mash-up
  1. raven

If your kid is willing to drink hand sanitizer for a "nasty tasting buzz", then maybe AFTER the e.r. visit, it's time to visit the "other" kinda doctor. Double ick.

April 24, 2012 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  2. raven

Remember those Orbitz Gum "Gotta dirty mouth?" commercials?" Lint -licker" always cracked me up.

April 24, 2012 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Techsupport

What the French, toast?

April 24, 2012 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mary

testing

April 24, 2012 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  4. rox731

Drinking that hand sanitizer? Wow, not that is really desperate.

April 24, 2012 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Techsupport

Here's the problem with a culture that is so afraid of their kids drinking – kids are going to do it anyway, and because they don't have parental guidance, they will do it in the most unsafe ways and places imaginable trying not to get caught. Teach them about responsible drinking before they get into those kinds of peer pressure situations. If you think they are curious to try it, let them do it in your own home where you can monitor them the whole time, make sure they don't drink too much or go anywhere. Let them find out about hangovers without having to go to the ER.

When I was a kid, and it was taboo to drink, it was so fun for us to steal a few beers from each house we came from and abscond to the river. I didn't even like beer, but I'd drink it anyhow. Once I was around 13, and I'd already been busted once, she started letting me drink with the family at home, fairly casually. I almost never got drunk, because that wasn't why I was drinking – I just really liked margaritas and daiquiris, but hated hangovers. By the time I was 15 I had a steady job, and could pay for it myself. Give my parents the money, and they would go buy it for me. I learned how to 'handle my liquor' in all respects before my mistakes would likely be lasting, and where I would have immediate help if something went wrong. That's not to say I didnt occasionally sneak off to drink with my friends, but when I did I knew my limit, and never supplied it. Plus, I had better liquor at home most of the time.

Now I hardly ever drink. A beer or two every few weeks with dinner, get drunk and repentant maybe once a year, but just really don't care for it. I'd rather be stoned! Way less harmful.

April 24, 2012 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • ♚Mmmmm♛

sorry, not buyin' it! early drinkin early like that leads to drunks and addicts...no 12 or 13 years old should be guzzling beer and alcohol or puffin a nicotine addiction...and that parental consent crap...I call that parental abuse...

April 24, 2012 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  6. OBSERVEThePopeOfFrance

While describing himself as a secular republican, he invoked the historical heritage of the French monarchy and Christianity in a play for nationalist votes.

April 24, 2012 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy©

This is just the latest chapter of what kids do when there is no guidance at home...remember when kids were drinking mouthwash?
    L&O: CI even did one about the mouthwas killing kids because it was illeagally imported from a country that used ethanol glycol in it.

Sad, and to quote raven: "Double ick.L

April 24, 2012 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

S/B 'illegally' and "Double ick."

April 24, 2012 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  8. ♚Mmmmm♛

...dumb kids pickled liver is no laughing matter...

April 24, 2012 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  9. raven

Parents always think their kid is the exception to the rule. "My little angel would never drink, because "I" told them not to". Piffle! Yes, supermom (or superdad), they will.

April 24, 2012 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • ♚Mmmmm♛

it's not the point...parents should not encourage their children to indulge in vices...there are too many positive, happy experiences in this world...of all the opportunities available why would you wanna introduce them to addictions....?

April 24, 2012 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  10. raven

@techsupport: your posts always make me laugh. I like you.

April 24, 2012 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  11. raven

I respectfully disagree. Kids WILL cave under peer pressure. They will also lie, sneak and steal. It's part of growing up and learning what is right and wrong. There is nothing wrong with drinking. But if you label it so and try to stop them from it, they want to know why. And they will find a way to experience it for themselves.

April 24, 2012 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  12. raven

@Tico Brown: thanks, That was nice of you to say! But I'm a not a dad. I'm a mom. And welcome to the boards.It's nice to see new people here.

April 24, 2012 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. raven

And btw, Tico Brown, be careful here. There are those who will pretend to be something they are not.

April 24, 2012 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  14. banasy©

Yes, hi, Tico Brown.
    I second that welcome.
    You remind me of a friend who has not been on here in a while.
    I adored him.

April 24, 2012 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  15. chrissy

@ techsupport, i totally applaud your honesty! And it seems some have forgotten their teenage years. As a teenager in the early 70s i got a good laugh out of your post. Especially the last line! Lmfao! Keep on keepin on dude!

April 25, 2012 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |