Sources: Gingrich to end campaign next week
Former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich speaks at the 2012 New York Republican State Dinner on April 19 in New York City.
April 25th, 2012

Sources: Gingrich to end campaign next week

Newt Gingrich will officially end his bid for the Republican presidential nomination and formally express his support for Mitt Romney next week, two sources close to Gingrich tell CNN.

While details are still being worked out, Gingrich is likely to hold his final campaign event Tuesday in Washington, DC, where he will make the announcement surrounded by his family and supporters.

Read full post on Political Ticker
Post by:
Filed under: Newt Gingrich • Politics • Republican Party
  1. saywhat

Good Bye Mr.Gingrich.
    Your exit is most welcome. In fact the mind set that you represent is the last thing America needs now.
    You'll be well advised to retire to a quiet life of tranquility.

April 25, 2012 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  2. Cynic

It's all about the money, folks. I can't imagine this guy doing this at this time for any other reason than that the Romney campaign paid this "fine fellow" for his endorsement...at a reduced rate since Santorum dropped out.

April 25, 2012 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  3. ron

Well that only gives him a week left to waste the rest of the money contributed to him. I'll bet he's up to that challenge!

April 25, 2012 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  4. bobcat (in a hat) ©

A new guy in town walks into a bar and notices a large jar filled to the brim with $10 bills. The man approaches the bartender and asks, "What's up with the jar?"

"Well, you pay $10, and if you pass three tests, then you get all the money."

"What are the three tests?" asks the man

"Gotta pay first."

So the guy gives him the $10 bucks, and the bartender adds it to the jar.

"OK, here's what you have to do. First, you have to drink that whole bottle of pepper tequila - the WHOLE thing at once - and you can't make a face while doing it. Second, there's a pit bull chained up out back with a sore tooth. You have to remove the tooth with your bare hands. Third, there is a 90-year-old woman upstairs who's never had an orgasm in her life. You gotta make things right for her."

"Well, I know I've paid my $10 bucks," says the man, "but I'm not an idiot. No wonder you've collected so much money - that's impossible!"

The new guy proceeds to drink several whiskeys, and eventually, he gets up his nerve.

"Wherez zat teeqeelah?" he slurs.

He grabs the bottle of pepper tequila with both hands and downs it, gulp by gulp. Tears are streaming down his cheeks, but he doesn't make a face. Next, he staggers out back. Everyone in the bar hears a huge scuffle outside - barking, yelping and growling, then silence.

Just when they think the man must be dead, he staggers back into the bar with his shirt ripped and gashes across his body.

"NOW," he says, "wherez at ol' lady with the sore tooth?"

April 25, 2012 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Oh, bc(iah).
      I didn't think it was possible, but you've topped yourself!

Re: Gingy-

Good-bye.
      Now, maybe I won't have to hear about his colon anymore!

April 25, 2012 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

Starting on topic, glad to see Gingrich on his way out. @bobcat(iah), this is your best so far more so than Elmo.Keep spreading that sunshine.

April 25, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  5. saywhat

Raunchy & good @bobcat. Thanks

April 25, 2012 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  6. Cynic

I keep getting my IP address blocked yet I am not saying anything bad. Why am I getting banned?

April 25, 2012 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

It's probably a word you are using withing your post.
      Your IP addy isn't blocked.
      You cannot use certain words because the computer filter will automatically block your post.
      Words like const itution because it has tee eye tee in it, for example, or conspi cuous, or circ umstances, because it contains a derogatory term and see u emm in it.
      You'll get the hang of it.

I like your posts.
      Welcome!

April 25, 2012 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Cynic

No, I know about the filter. I have not used any bad words or spoken badly. Yet after a while all my posts disappear without posting.
      I empty everything and restart the browser. Nothing changes until a long time later. If it's a ban it's a limited one, but if it's a browser problem it never happened before a week or a few weeks (bad memory) ago – and no I have not changed my soft-ware lately.
      Thanks for the kind words. There are times I post off-color stuff, but nothing I do seems to make a difference.
      There are many right-wing christians who do not like what I post and push the report button. Could that be it?

April 25, 2012 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

You don't necessarily have to use bad words; just the letter combinations are enough for them not to post at all.
      It might be your e-mail addy that is the problem; if it contains something the filter construes as spam, it will not post either, but will go directly into CNN's spam folder.
      The same with certain usernames.
      If they post, and then are deleted later, well then somebody either reported YOU for abuse, or the human mods were just scanning and deleted it.
      I don't think you reporting abuse has anything to do with it, for it isn't really abuse because you disagree with someone.
      CNN will let the post stand if it has relevancy, ya know?

I've had trouble posting in the past, and that's what I've learned.
      I also get my posts deleted all the time; it's nothing personal.
      Hope this helps.

April 25, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy©

I don't know, @whoever. Go smell your mother's crotch and see.

April 25, 2012 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

I don't know that either: look in the mirror and tell me.
    Oh, and grow a pair and post under your username, bock bock.

April 25, 2012 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  9. bobcat (in a hat) ©

On topic for a change.

Newt I wish I could say I'm sorry to see you go.

April 25, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • m.s.

I agree! He was insufferable as SOTH and he is just as insufferable now! Good riddance!

April 25, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |